Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    So 'when people need it' is going to become 'for their entire lives' by definition.
    Plus, even Adam Smith recognized that a capitalist society is fundamentally based upon its consumers, and their welfare and prosperity must be protected, as the primary goal of even capitalism.

People have value as consumers alone, even if they aren't contributing to production directly.

Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    sure it can
    You don't know it unless we've tried it.
    Whoever loves let him flourish. / Let him perish who knows not love. / Let him perish twice who forbids love. - Pompeii

10+ Year Old Account
    can you quote me on the bolded?
    Sure can;

IDK about that nessesarily, I think extreme capitalists want people to survive, but baised on their merits and abilites.
    Go big or go home endus, survival of the fittest. You're holding back evolution
    I say let the starving artists starve
    Right there, in those posts.

Under a 'free market', we do.

In a system where there is scarcity then the success of one person detracts from the welfare of another.
    Until we have replicators, there will always be scarcity, no matter the political process. Fortunately under awesome capitalism, the means of production increase with the demand for goods.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Sure can;

Right there, in those posts.
    okay seriously.....you couldn't tell those were jokes, especially given that i said i was being sarcastic?

and still...not direct quoted sir.

10+ Year Old Account
    sure it can
    Short answer. Here is a short question:

How?
    "Je vous répondrai par la bouche de mes canons!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Until we have replicators, there will always be scarcity, no matter the political process. Fortunately under awesome capitalism, the means of production increase with the demand for goods.
    Then stop saying that it isn't a zero sum game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    1> You're confusing "supply" with "means of production"
    2> This isn't unique to capitalist theory in the first place. It's a principle of market systems, which both predate capitalist theory and exist outside capitalist systems.
    3> Like Didactic said, you've now directly contradicted your prior claim that the economy isn't a zero-sum system; that's what scarcity economies are, by definition.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontenac View Post
    Short answer. Here is a short question:

How?
    Because I said so

- - - Updated - - -

1> You're confusing "supply" with "means of production"
    2> This isn't unique to capitalist theory in the first place. It's a principle of market systems, which both predate capitalist theory and exist outside capitalist systems.
    3> Like Didactic said, you've now directly contradicted your prior claim that the economy isn't a zero-sum system; that's what scarcity economies are, by definition.
    Alright Endus I concede, your Cradle to grave welfare state is superior.... -.-

10+ Year Old Account
    okay seriously.....you couldn't tell those were jokes, especially given that i said i was being sarcastic?

and still...not direct quoted sir.
    You mentioned sarcasm in one of those, and not even the first.

And those are exactly what is meant by "direct quotes". What the hell are you even talking about, claiming they aren't?

You mentioned sarcasm in one of those, and not even the first.

And those are exactly what is meant by "direct quotes". What the hell are you even talking about, claiming they aren't?
    No, the oringinal bolded.

Lol, sigh at this point im just being snarky, obviously we are not going to agree on which economic system is best.

Deleted
    Under a 'free market', we do.

In a system where there is scarcity then the success of one person detracts from the welfare of another.
    So? If the less fortunate still live comfortably, relatively speaking, then why does it matter? It would be like comparing a millionaire to a billionaire.

The only problem I have with capitalism is lack of competition thanks to people who hate capitalism. But with enough chaos, the system will always reset itself.

I'm surprised that you don't see this.

Communism is the impossible dream. It's not even a dream. It's a nightmare.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Garian View Post
    So? If the less fortunate still live comfortably, relatively speaking, then why does it matter? It would be like comparing a millionaire to a billionaire.
    Good thinking!

Too bad it isn't remotely the case in the US.

The only problem I have with capitalism is lack of competition thanks to people who hate capitalism. But with enough chaos, the system will always reset itself.
    You are aware that regulation maintains competition, yes?

Communism is the impossible dream. It's not even a dream. It's a nightmare.
    Nobody here is a communist, get a new fucking talking point.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Deleted
    You are aware that regulation maintains competition, yes?
    Businesses bribe governments to shut down the competition.

Politicians are bought and sold at a bargain price in the U.S.

It's hilarious.

Are you sure that you want more government intervention? You'd better make sure that the politicians are angels first.

Mister Didactic.

10+ Year Old Account

It's hilarious.

Are you sure that you want more government intervention? You'd better make sure that the politicians are angels first.

Mister Didactic.
    Which is exactly why I support fairly draconian anti-corruption laws.

But we can start by banning private donations to politicians, campaign or otherwise.

It's hilarious.

Mister Didactic.
    So who really is in control of government?

Government or the businesses that bribe government?
    Whoever loves let him flourish. / Let him perish who knows not love. / Let him perish twice who forbids love. - Pompeii

Which is exactly why I support fairly draconian anti-corruption laws.

But we can start by banning private donations to politicians, campaign or otherwise.
    Corperate and union donations as well?

10+ Year Old Account
    What part of 'private' escapes you, exactly?

What part of money out of politics isn't clear?

What part of 'private' escapes you, exactly?
    Lol, such hostility.

You have a fondness for unions, I just was testing to see if you were going to be hypocritical, i was pleasently suprised.