Question Question about SDD + HDD

Will be getting a SDD for the first time on my PC and was wondering how it works with a standard HDD.

Can i keep the game files on the HDD and get the faster load times with my OS + launcher on the SDD? Or does the whole install folder need to be on the SDD?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Demoncrash View Post
    Will be getting a SDD for the first time on my PC and was wondering how it works with a standard HDD.

Can i keep the game files on the HDD and get the faster load times with my OS + launcher on the SDD? Or does the whole install folder need to be on the SDD?
    Get a large SSD, 500gb+ and do not worry about it. OS and most played games on one drive. HDD for hoarding all those files.

10+ Year Old Account
    i have both an SSD and an HDD. my SSD is 250g and my HD is 1TB. i simply put my OS and most popular games & programs onto my SSD. i used about half of the 250g, everything else that speed isnt really an issue for stayed on my HDD. my music, videos, pics, and lesser used programs stayed on my HDD.

my SSD is where my ViP stuff goes.

from what i understand adding just the launcher to your SSD wont help, you need the whole game folder there so the SSD can access the files quicker.
    Last edited by Sinndra; 2014-11-10 at 07:10 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ablib View Post
    I do realize that this is an internet forum full of morons, however in real life, no one questions me, people look to me for the answer, look up to me, trust me. To have dipshits on a video game forum question me, is insulting.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have a SSD on my laptop and use the previous HD as an external one. 250gb seems to be enough as I mainly use it for OS and most played games. When I got it felt I was using a new laptop. Everything is WAY faster, altough in terms of gaming performances I didn't notice anything special apart from faster loading.

I highly recommend a SSD. The size is up to your needs and budget.
    Arukas

Thanks for the replies. Was debating between a 128 and 256gig SDD. 256 it is then.(500+ is way too expensive here in India)

Quote Originally Posted by Demoncrash View Post
    Thanks for the replies. Was debating between a 128 and 256gig SDD. 256 it is then.(500+ is way too expensive here in India)
    I have a 256GB samsung pro SSD, and a 1TB HDD. I have my operating system and most popular games (2-3) on the SSD, and everything else on the HDD. This system seems to work well. I agree with you that the 500GB SSD's are a bit costly. Once you have it all set up, you will LOVE the lower loading times.

By the way, no need to defrag an SSD. For more information on this: http://forum.crucial.com/t5/Crucial-...oss/ta-p/71051

Deleted
    just remember, add a new sdd to ur current pc require a proper installation to get the full performance; unfortunately u cant just add it and copy windows to it with the copy software the ssd's come, u need to reinstall windows in ACHI mode
    just a quick guide https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ox6DHlPQI-w

Reading the OP and skimming the replies, I suggest the 256Gb over the 128Gb. It makes little sense to put everything on the SSD, especially if we're talking online games using Steam or other launchers. I'm unfamiliar with the blizzard launchers features, but Steam can be installed on the SSD and you can have games installed on the HDD (or some on HDD, others on SSD, it's very dynamic). While I did have WoW on the SSD, I didn't put other online games on it (such as FPS games, Starcraft 2, etc) because when it comes to those types of online games, you'll be waiting for the slowest guy anyway (and you can bet he won't have it on an SSD!).

There are two schools on how to divide your stuff on HDD+SSD.

The most common school:
    OS + games on the SSD, everything else on the HDD. The idea of this is that the core usage of the computer will benefit; fast boot and fast loading times when playing. Unless you put programs on the SSD as well, you'll still wait for all the tabs to open up once you launch your web browser, Excel/Word, Photoshop, etc.

Reduce active waiting approach:
    This is the school I belong to, and in fairness I have to say I've yet to see someone else who belong to this school of thought. So it's not a popular approach, and there's probably a reason for it. The most played games and programs goes on the SSD, and everything else on the HDD (which includes the OS). The idea of this school is that you want to minimize the active wait times (when you're actively sitting in front of the computer waiting on something to load) as opposed to inactive wait times (when you're AFK). I never sit around waiting when I boot my computer, I always do something else elsewhere, so it doesn't matter if it takes one second or, say, three minutes. But when I am sitting in front of the computer, I'm allergic to wasting my life doing nothing. All single player games, chrome, office, etc, all are on the SSD, while OS and other more "background" stuff are on the HDD (or rather, one of the HDDs, depending on what the process is).

The absolute biggest advantage over my approach, other than in practice speeding up the more relevant stuff, is that it requires a smaller SSD to "get off the ground". As there's no OS etc to fight for the space, you can do perfectly fine with a 32/64Gb SSD. But generally speaking, the larger the SSD the more stuff you can put in it, and the greater the effects of the faster device will be. With a large enough SSD there's no point really in not putting OS, games and programs there. But if you don't have enough space, and can only pick two, I propose games + programs, and not OS + games. Unless you're glued to the screen from booting up until shut down, win which case I'd suggest OS + the one you use the most (games or programs).