Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

Repeat offenders - can they be rehabilitated or not, or should they be locked up?

I've seen many criminals who go in and out of the justice system here in Sweden for quite a few years now. Many who come out and commit new crimes again within 1-2 years. Some have even committed new crimes the day they get out, or even when they're going to be released and they've been in a low-security facility and then committed crimes against visitors there.

Are some people even able to be rehabilitated, and if not, what should be done if they can't be when the sentences are time based? How many times should one be able to be sentenced for serious crimes before you actually get locked up for a longer period of time to protect society?

10+ Year Old Account
    There's something in the water... Florida
    Repeat offenders should be eliminated. Whether its life or death penalty they should not be allowed back into society.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    MMO-C, where a shill for Putin cares about democracy in the US.

It's not something you can really give a blanket yes or no on. It depends entirely on the person. Some yes, some no.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vizardlorde View Post
    Repeat offenders should be eliminated. Whether its life or death penalty they should not be allowed back into society.
    Maybe improving your prisons beyond cement blocks to keep people in would help.

Then again, with that kind of viewpoint it would be best if you were eliminated too.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fiend View Post
    Maybe improving your prisons beyond cement blocks to keep people in would help.

Then again, with that kind of viewpoint it would be best if you were eliminated too.
    We have 65% general reoffending rate for people who have been sentenced to prison here despite it being rehabilitation based. It's even worse with repeat offenders.

Depends on what they're doing. Repeated theft? I see no reason to not keep trying. I mean if we're only going to try rehabilitation when its 100% effective that's not very reasonable.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Child of Curiosity View Post
    We have 65% general reoffending rate for people who have been sentenced to prison here despite it being rehabilitation based. It's even worse with repeat offenders.
    That would suggest that either Norwegians are heavenly people, or your rehabilitation needs some tweaking.

Having said that, a lot of prison systems across the globe need some tweaking.
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...nicus/advanced
    Quote Originally Posted by goblinpaladin View Post
    Also a vegetable is a person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    I dont care if they [gays] are allowed to donate [blood], but I think we should have an option to refuse gay blood if we need to receive blood.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    That would suggest that either Norwegians are heavenly people, or your rehabilitation needs some tweaking.

Having said that, a lot of prison systems across the globe need some tweaking.
    Well, Norway has 44% for general prison sentences. 20%~ over all penalties.

Deleted
    It depends upon the severity of the crime, the background of which they come from, and a host of other things.

Do i believe some people are unable to be rehabilitated?

Yes, are they common, no.

I believe, and a recent report in the U.K affirmed it, that they go back into environments of which they were drawn into petty crime.

Shop lifting, dealing soft drugs, that sort of thing.

They're often given sentences so small, it's near impossible to effectively assess, treat, and release within the time-frame they're incarcerated for (Think few months to at most a year).

Serious crimes though, that's a different ball game altogether.

Things like murder, rape, serious assault, child molestation and the like, i've had my opinion considerably hardened the past year in regards to that.

And where i don't advocate death, i'd advocate harsher sentences and much more stringent release conditions and treatment.

Quote Originally Posted by Manakin View Post
    i'd advocate harsher sentences and much more stringent release conditions and treatment.
    I'd advocate no more mandatory minimums.

15+ Year Old Account
    They absolutely can. Well, most of them..

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't care if they can. I believe everyone can be, but I don’t believe it is right to force individuals (taxpayers) to pay for it. It should be two strikes and you’re out for any serious crime. Drop them on some uninhabited tropical island and let them have the freedom from societies rules that they so desire.
    And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
    Revelation 6:8

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Child of Curiosity View Post
    Well, Norway has 44% for general prison sentences. 20%~ over all penalties.
    Well, the fact that you have a higher Immigrant rate probably skews it.

Quote Originally Posted by DEATHETERNAL View Post
    I don't care if they can. I believe everyone can be, but I don’t believe it is right to force individuals (taxpayers) to pay for it. It should be two strikes and you’re out for any serious crime. Drop them on some uninhabited tropical island and let them have the freedom from societies rules that they so desire.
    Sounds like a great way for a government to abuse power.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    USA, more fascist every day, with DEATHETERNAL cheerleading for it.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

10+ Year Old Account
    Harming of the innocent for the sake of the guilty as policy is a far greater abuse of power.

Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    USA, more fascist every day, with DEATHETERNAL cheerleading for it.
    Stupidity, with people who don't know what fascism is cheerleading for it.
    And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

Harming of the innocent for the sake of the guilty as policy is a far greater abuse of power.
    I'm sure we could do all kinds of things to save innocent lives that you would oppose as too easy for government to abuse.

Everyone that was guilty always is and will always be so, right?

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm sure we could do all kinds of things to save innocent lives that you would oppose as too easy for government to abuse.
    Which is completely unrelated to the notion of harming the innocent for the sake of the guilty?

Which is completely unrelated to the notion of harming the innocent for the sake of the guilty?
    You don't get it, which is expected. You're advocating a program that is a massive opportunity for government abuse in this weird false dichotomy you've constructed. Its just fractal wrongness.