Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Deputy doesn't shoot teenager wearing clown mask and waving knife at school

14-year-old-charged-in-knife-incident

ROWAN COUNTY, N.C. -- The Rowan County Sheriff's Office says a 14-year-old boy has been charged for allegedly waving a butcher knife and wearing a clown mask in the cafeteria of West Rowan Middle School last week.

The juvenile, who will not be identified, faces the charges of possession of a weapon on school campus, going armed in terror of the public, assault with a deadly weapon and communicating threats.

The Sheriff's Office says Juvenile Services will process the charges and a court date will be set for the charges to be heard in front of a Juvenile Court judge.

Last Tuesday morning, the Sheriff's Office School Resource Deputy ran to the West Rowan Middle School cafeteria after hearing screams from students.

Authorities say the now-charged teen was wildly waving a 12-inch butcher knife at other students while wearing a clown mask.

The deputy, who's now being praised for his restraint and handling of the incident, attempted to get the student to drop the knife, officials say, but when he refused, was forced to use his baton to hit the student's forearm and force him to drop the knife.

The Sheriff's Office says a search of the student's backpack turned up another 10-inch butcher knife.

The student was taken last week to be evaluated by mental health personnel. The student also sustained minor injuries to his left arm during the confrontation with the deputy.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

We're supposed to praise him for doing his job without resorting to lethal force?

Sure...I guess...

if you doing dumb shit like that by 14 what will u do when you're a man? waste of money time and energy imo. he would have done us all a favor dying that day.

Praised for his restraint, huh?
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

oh no the pint sized slasher!

inb4 this thread doesn't get much traffic due to less cop hate people just love it when cops screw up.

honestly this is a case were lethal force might have been a better option. I'm the first one to jump down a cops throat for shooting a caged dog, an unarmed man or a uncuffed man, but in this case the guy had a butcher knife and 1 bad move by the deputy could've resulted in very serious injury. I think they're actually instructed to use their guns if there is a risk to themselves if they choose to use the baton, so i wouldn't be surprised if this deputy gets a suspended over this.

Obviously using lethal force against a crazed 14 year old is fucked up, but it would be worse in my opinion if he had of fucked up his batoning skills and got his face hacked into.

10+ Year Old Account
    While it's nice to see something related to cops and it's not about flaming them, I still don't understand why we should praise someone who just did their job correctly. But then I don't understand why OP just links news without putting in any thoughts of his own either.
    Cave Cave Deus Videt

Quote Originally Posted by Skinny Red View Post
    While it's nice to see something related to cops and it's not about flaming them, I still don't understand why we should praise someone who just did their job correctly.
    It turns out keeping people alive goes above and beyond the duty of the modern police officer in America. I wish that were sarcasm.

But then I don't understand why OP just links news without putting in any thoughts of his own either.
    He's pretty much just advertising his webcomic.
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.

Quote Originally Posted by LilSaihah View Post
    It turns out keeping people alive goes above and beyond the duty of the modern police officer in America. I wish that were sarcasm.
    It is not there job to keep you alive. There job is to enforce the law and arrest anyone who breaks it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    We're supposed to praise him for doing his job without resorting to lethal force?

Sure...I guess...
    Why not? If he shot the kid, we'd have yet another 20+ page thread on how all cops are violent thugs.

So why can't we have one that just once sings the praises of a cop who does the right thing?
    Putin khuliyo

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Why not? If he shot the kid, we'd have yet another 20+ page thread on how all cops are violent thugs.

So why can't we have one that just once sings the praises of a cop who does the right thing?
    I guess because "riddling the perpetrator with bullets" shouldn't be so apparently commonplace that stories like this are seen as out-of-the-ordinary.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post

He didn't do the right thing he did his job. Of course we would have a 20+ page thread if he shot some 14 year old kid because that would be how not to do your job.

10+ Year Old Account
    While it's nice to see something related to cops and it's not about flaming them, I still don't understand why we should praise someone who just did their job correctly.
    Maybe more people would do the right thing if they were praised for it instead of ignored for it.

Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    He didn't do the right thing he did his job. Of course we would have a 20+ page thread if he shot some 14 year old kid because that would be how not to do your job.
    You just said his job is not to keep people alive tho, it's his job to send people to prison

i mean i suppose we could loosely interpret this to mean "send them to prison, not the morgue"
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.

Quote Originally Posted by Templar 331 View Post
    Maybe more people would do the right thing if they were praised for it instead of ignored for it.
    Why don't you send a thank you note to the next cop who writes you a ticket and maybe a 20 year old bottle of scotch.

The Lightbringer GKLeatherCraft's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    That is moronic, Just because it's your job doesn't mean there is no right or wrong, You can try better than that
    And anyway, it's quite obvious this cop did a good job, With some one acting like that with a 12inch knife you don't know what will happen, SO I think just disarming and arresting him took a lot of guts, But of course it's not "cool" to acknowledge a job well done, nope, no room on the idiot bandwagon for that :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Why don't you send a thank you note to the next cop who writes you a ticket and maybe a 20 year old bottle of scotch.
    I don't hold a grudge against someone catching me doing something wrong. Try again.

Quote Originally Posted by LilSaihah View Post
    You just said his job is not to keep people alive tho, it's his job to send people to prison

i mean i suppose we could loosely interpret this to mean "send them to prison, not the morgue"
    I don't see any point to this post, sorry.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Templar 331 View Post
    I don't hold a grudge against someone catching me doing something wrong. Try again.
    I didn't say you held a grudge I'm saying he should be "praised for it instead of ignored for it."

Deleted
    Is this just another bashing of police officers? Seems so.

Hurr durr I'm so edgy die pigs die Kappa

Quote Originally Posted by Gobra View Post
    That is moronic, Just because it's your job doesn't mean there is no right or wrong, You can try better than that
    And anyway, it's quite obvious this cop did a good job, With some one acting like that with a 12inch knife you don't know what will happen, SO I think just disarming and arresting him took a lot of guts, But of course it's not "cool" to acknowledge a job well done, nope, no room on the idiot bandwagon for that :P
    Do we need an article about a Mc Donalds employee who cooked burgers all day at work? Probably not. If that same worker decided to add poison to the burgers then you would see it all over the news. You don't commend an officer for not shooting a 14 year old kid. It's just sensationalism by the news agency.