Page 1 of 2
LastLast

quintessence of light pet battle daily at garrison

how on earth do you beat this thing? the only strat i have seen is the unholy accension howl combo. Is that really the only way? and does it even work after the boss buff they added?

I used a similar approach, starting with the Val'kyr. Curse of Doom in round 3, Unholy Ascension in round 4. Switch to Nether Fairy Dragon for Moonfire, heal up with Life Exchange, continue with Arcane Blast to finish it off. Have a pet with a massive burst ability in the third slot in case the Dragon goes down. Mini Mindslayer with Mana Surge makes sense. It works very well.

Bottom line is, you want to line up stuff for lots of burst damage in a short time frame. You'll have a hard time beating the bastard by standard means because he has no obvious exploitable weakness. Super high damage, strong defense AND constant healing.
    Last edited by Pull My Finger; 2014-12-02 at 01:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pull My Finger View Post
    I used a similar approach, starting with the Val'kyr. Curse of Doom in round 3, Unholy Ascension in round 4. Switch to Nether Fairy Dragon for Moonfire, heal up with Life Exchange, continue with Arcane Blast to finish it off. Have a pet with a massive burst ability in the third slot in case the Dragon goes down. Mini Mindslayer with Mana Surge makes sense. It works very well.

Bottom line is, you want to line up stuff for lots of burst damage in a short time frame. You'll have a hard time beating the bastard by standard means because he has no obvious exploitable weakness. Super high damage, strong defense AND constant healing.
    was hoping for a strat that didnt require unholy acension since i odnt have a pet with it

Yeah, I one-shot it with that combo. Didn't try any other.

Use the cookies that the Menagerie NPC sells to get a pet to 25 fast :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, I had this daily yesterday and did it using Howl Bomb on all of my characters that have a menagerie. It doesn't always work, either. If something RNG didn't crit high enough on my side or the bird crit too hard, I'd have to start over because my pet would be dead or the bird would heal before I could finish them off.

You could perhaps try some of the combos linked here if you are lacking a val'kyr.

It's kind of a shame...I've just gotten back into pet battling the past couple days and have been having so much fun with it and after seeing Howl Bomb in action I'm almost sure they'll nerf it at some point like they nerfed fluxfire feline after it was super powerful when it first came out.

I've always used my valk, then a sprite or nether dragon, the ones with life exchange or moonfire, and a chromius. Curse of doom, assendence for the free swap, the damage from assendence doesn't matter. Chromius, pass, pass (so you don't take damage from his direct damage taken deals damage), howl, he might die, if not surge of power, sprite or nether, finish off with moonfire.

I used to before buff just do valk/sprite was all you needed. Yesterday either unlucky or what not but didn't work for me first attempt, so just did above.

If you don't have a valk, do you have another pet with a big damage dealing after so many rounds? Like maybe whirpool/gyser combo? Could line those up with howl.

Now I don't know for WoD legendary like this, but in MoP daily legendary for a cheap way, I would use cockroach with the 15 round ability that auto kills, then Mr. Biggles for stun/shield, and another pet with a block. Start with roach, do the 15 round, swap to mr biggles, send stun, put up block (or you would have to count rounds to make sure the stun doesn't come down when shield up like when he doesn't attack and does the ability to deal damage when taking damage), swap to other pet put up block, and just keep swapping and surviving for 15 rounds.

But not sure if WoD legendaries will take a 1 shot from this ability. It might not kill em.

Quote Originally Posted by dardack View Post
    I've always used my valk, then a sprite or nether dragon, the ones with life exchange or moonfire, and a chromius. Curse of doom, assendence for the free swap, the damage from assendence doesn't matter. Chromius, pass, pass (so you don't take damage from his direct damage taken deals damage), howl, he might die, if not surge of power, sprite or nether, finish off with moonfire.

I used to before buff just do valk/sprite was all you needed. Yesterday either unlucky or what not but didn't work for me first attempt, so just did above.

If you don't have a valk, do you have another pet with a big damage dealing after so many rounds? Like maybe whirpool/gyser combo? Could line those up with howl.

Now I don't know for WoD legendary like this, but in MoP daily legendary for a cheap way, I would use cockroach with the 15 round ability that auto kills, then Mr. Biggles for stun/shield, and another pet with a block. Start with roach, do the 15 round, swap to mr biggles, send stun, put up block (or you would have to count rounds to make sure the stun doesn't come down when shield up like when he doesn't attack and does the ability to deal damage when taking damage), swap to other pet put up block, and just keep swapping and surviving for 15 rounds.

But not sure if WoD legendaries will take a 1 shot from this ability. It might not kill em.
    aeh acopolypse dosnt kill them and i tried the geyser whirpool howl strat, but its still not enough burst dmg and h just heals back up

Quote Originally Posted by dardack View Post
    I used this strategy with valkyr/chrominnius/nether faerie dragon, even still, it probably took about 20 tries because I relied on getting an exact moveset out of the quintessence. I started with doom/shadow shock (to let doom tick down a turn)/ascension into Chrominnius, which is where it gets fun:

Trying to pull off a howl/surge of power combo with doom for the damage. If the bird hits Chrom for three hits twice he usually lives with around 20 health, enough to kill himself with his surge of power (since heating up is always up at this point) which lets me swap to the dragon without losing howl. Doom+surge usually drops the bird down a bit under 30% health at this point and howl is still up - pretty nice. Of course, he instantly heals the damage of a double damage moonfire back up but that still leaves him able to be killed in two shots from the dragon.

But, this relies on two things. First, Chrom has to get hit by three attacks back to back, otherwise he has too much health left and survives after using surge of power. This causes howl to fall off and the bird to get a heal in during the recharge which wastes that free attack. I think with some luck with life exchange it might still be possible to win this situation but I didn't pull it off. Assuming Chrom can kill himself and keep howl up for the dragon, the dragon has to get hit back to back for 2 attacks, otherwise he just dies before he gets his second attack off and game over. Fun RNG fights are fun!

Oh, and if the quintessence crits at any point in the fight it's an automatic loss. This fight is probably a lot easier with a true howl bomb, as it requires a minimum of three hits to kill because of the legendary power and they all have to happen at the same time or he will just heal it back up.
    Last edited by Lysah; 2014-12-02 at 04:28 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    chrom/valk/pandaren water elemental(or anything really) = ggwp wombo combo.

Quote Originally Posted by Uggorthaholy View Post
    Thanks but no thanks, Lora, for making me question everything in existence forever.

I ended up doing it with the Valk/Pandaren Water/Chrom combo as well, but it still took me at least 5 tries. Every time that blasted bird used it's 1-3 hits per attack, it almost always hit me 3 times, almost always killing something a turn too soon and throwing everything off. I used maybe three or four other pet combinations before that with no luck, but it was probably just bad hits/crits again. Definitely my least favorite encounter so far.

I need the one with the three birds again, which I think would be another week or so away - I leveled so many pets to 25 off them with the two exp bonus items. I think I did over 150 pet battles that day...

if you have the creepy crate, use it and pandaren water spirit and chrominius

learn to howlbomb legendaries, most need that approach and when you get chrominius and a pandaren water spirit, life is about 1000x easier

Howlbomb is a staple for a reason. If you don't have a pet with UA buy a ghostly skull for dirt cheap at the vendor and get it leveled. It will be worth it.

Currently playing Borderlands 1 remaster. Amped for Borderlands 3.
    Add me on the PSN for jolly-cooperation @ PuppetShoJustice

Everyone recommends valk+water spirit+chrominius for every damn fight. Pet battles must be boring if this is all you use. I am sure that this is the single highest amount of damage you can squeeze into 1 or 2 rounds, but not even Quintessence of Light requires this combo. I don't have the Valk or Chrominius and I repeatedly trashed him. Frankly even the water spirit is probably replaceable.

My team: Lil' KT + Water Spirit + Pink Pachyderm, just because that's what I had available. The fight worked out like this:

1. Throw down Death and Decay (no DoT is even necessary most of the time, but it can be nice as insurance) at some point.
    2. Use Curse of Doom on you bonus "death" round.
    3. Bring out Pandaren Water Spirit for geyser followed by whirlpool. All 3 abilities should be timed to go off at the same time. I have had bad luck with crits from Fire Quills and cannot get off Whirlpool every so often. IT'S NOT A FAILURE! You can still down the bird without it. So if you don't have the Water Spirit you can probably use ANY pet with Geyser (there are many).
    4. Finally, bring out your howl pet or, in my case, a stampeding critter. Pink Pachyderm has tons of health and his critter racial makes him take less damage from fire quills so there is no way he will die. Start stampeding, watch the armor debuff go up, then all your explosions go, and the bird WILL die. Once I found this combo of points I defeated him 8 times in a row with no problems.

Like I said you can have the water spirit die before whirlpool and still be fine (although I thought it was hopeless). The undead is nice for having the guaranteed timing of his "death" round but it is not necessary.

I know pets like this make howl bombing seem like the only strat, but I wonder if there is a way to creatively use things like Life Exchange, abilities that do % of enemy health damage, and so on to also defeat this fight. Get creative. Don't think valk+water spirit+chrom is the end-all and be-all of pet battles.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kagejin View Post
    Everyone recommends valk+water spirit+chrominius for every damn fight.
    I know pets like this make howl bombing seem like the only strat, but I wonder if there is a way to creatively use things like Life Exchange, abilities that do % of enemy health damage, and so on to also defeat this fight. Get creative. Don't think valk+water spirit+chrom is the end-all and be-all of pet battles.
    You say that, then suggest something that is literally howl bombing lite. I mean you are just gimping yourself by doing it in a worse way :P

And yes, life exchange and % health on these high health mobs works extremely well.
    You're a towel.

I realize it is just an "inferior" howlbomb. But that's just the thing. Not everyone has/wants those three pets (Valk seems especially hard to get) even if it is, as I admitted, probably the most damage available in a round or 2. I've noticed some people look at these suggestions (think back to Celestial Tournament) and think "oh, I don't have these pets, so I can't do it." Actually there are many pets you can use. In fact, as I said, for me the bird was killable even without Whirlpool. I feel a critter like my Pink Pachyderm is better than Chrominius in this particular fight since there is no chance of it dying early.

Talk of "gimping myself" just seems silly. It's a pet battle mini-game... I don't like Valk or Chrominius (just based on what I find "cool") and so I don't want to catch/level one. Thankfully there is nothing in the pve game, so far, that has required me to "min/max" my pets to win. I guess if Blizzard releases a pet with like 6k health then I will have no choice. But thankfully Blizz has been pretty clever with their pet battle designs and there is usually a variety of viable options to win.

Unfortunately for pets like the Quintessence of Light, I just don't think there are a lot of approaches other than some sort of "howlbomb". The only other one I could think of was was using Life Exchange and % damage abilities but I haven't tried it personally. I would like to but Quintessence isn't my daily today.
    Last edited by Kagejin; 2014-12-03 at 01:27 AM.

Deleted
    I tested some different combos. Some worked with abusing Life Exchange. But, as others have stated, Howlbomb is the safest method. Usual Tactic, starting with the Val'kyr:
    1 > 1 > pass > 3 (in this round, she should die, so she survives her Ascension because the UD racial procced) > 2 > Pandaren Water Spirit comes in > 3 > 2 > 1 (dies in this round) > Chrominius comes in > 2 > 3
    There are still two unsafe factors: It could theoretically kill the Val'kyr in round 2. The Val'kyr (Guardian breed) has 1.8k HP and is very unlikely to be killed. Two triple-hits of the Quintessence are 6*270 = 1620 damage. So even if it has the luck of two triple-hits, it would need crits, too.
    It's a lot more likely for the Water Spirit to die before applying both debuffs, because it has less than 1620 HP. In this case, Chrominius can use 2 > 1 > 3, and it should be enough too. In most cases, 2 > 3 alone should be enough. This could go wrong, too, if the Quintessence has two triple-hits and crits one of them. But that's quite unlikely.

All in all, in my opinion, the hardest of the fights. I haven't found a combo which is 100% safe. I'd love to have one for all of the fights, but Howlbomb is the closest I got for this one.
    Last edited by mmoc48c29aaf6e; 2014-12-03 at 01:35 AM.

Unholly anscession is not requried in that strat. What IS requried is curse of doom on round 5, then geyser, whirlpool, swap to chrom, howl, mana surge ->gg. Read the wowhead comment (AND ITS REPLIES): http://www.wowhead.com/npc=85652#comments:id=2035610

Yeah, I've seen the howl bomb recommended so many times when I'm looking up strategies, I finally broke down and bought a water spirit off the AH. Don't feel like going back to Pandaria at the moment to beat the elementals, and I've got some disposable cash. I got lucky enough to stumble across a valk while not even actively looking for it, so I've had that covered for a while.

Just gotta powerlevel that water spirit up so that I can automagically be able to win all pet battles.
    Main - Spirál - Hunter

Interestingly, I made a comment above about a pet with 6k health and who should I come across today but Stitches Jr. lol. I actually ended up beating him with a skunk and Iron Starlette (didn't need my 3rd pet). I almost wonder if valk+water spirit+chrominius doesn't work on this boss because shockingly NO ONE has suggested it on Wowhead. I suppose cleave damage is too much for Chrom to get howl off? I tried using a howlbomb tactic myself, but I had to send my first pet (Lil' KT) in at the start of the fight just about dead. Every round before the death round was meaningless and so the longer he lives, the more my other pets ate cleave damage. Well, I howlbombed him just find but he still had like 1.5 or 2k health remaining. I would assume that would mean he would be dead if Unholy Ascension and Surge of Power were also at my disposal. Anyway it was amusing to lay waste to him with a humble skunk.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kagejin View Post
    I almost wonder if valk+water spirit+chrominius doesn't work on this boss because shockingly NO ONE has suggested it on Wowhead. I suppose cleave damage is too much for Chrom to get howl off?
    Yes, it does work...in a way. I had to use a Nether Faerie Dragon instead of Unborn Val'kyr.

Nether Faerie Dragon
    > Life Exchange
    Pandaren Water Spirit
    > Geyser
    > Whirlpool
    Chrominius
    > Howl
    > Bite
    > Surge of Power