GTX 970 > GTX 770 for my needs?

Hello,

I'm starting this topic because I'm wondering if it would be worth it, in my new build, to get a GTX 970 instead of a 770 when it comes to what I actually need in terms of gaming.. I'm not THAT concerned about playing everything on ultra, as I've mainly been a laptop gamer for the last 6years, but I of course want some "bang for my buck" aswel.

The games which I mainly play, and intend on playing in the future are:

WoW
    Assassins Creed
    GTA V
    Minecraft
    Hitman Games
    Elder Scrolls

So, the question is.. Should I spend 85euros more and get the 970, or will the 770 be more than good enough for what I'm intending to play?

Just for reference, my complete build is as follows:
    Case: Cooler Master CM 690 III
    CPU: Intel® Core™ i7 4790 3.6 GHz
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 770 2GB or Nvidia GTX 970 4GB
    Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 12GB DDR3-1600
    Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 Gaming
    HDD: 1000 GB Sata III
    Cooling System: Cooler Master Hyper 412S
    Sound: 7.1 Sound Card
    Wifi: TP-Link 300Mbps Wifi card
    PSU: 700 Watt Cooler Master PSU

Imo, I would:

Change the case to something in the ~50 range(Corsair 200R for example)
    Swap the CPU to a 4690
    Get the 970
    Either get 8gb or 16gb of memory(8GB is recommended)
    Switch the motherboard to a H97 like the Asrock H97M PRO4
    Get a SSD(~250GB or so) and pick either the Caviar Blue or the Barracuda for the HDD.
    Drop the cooler and use the cooler that comes with the CPU
    Drop the soundcard unless you have the equipment to take advantage of it
    Grab a good ~500-600W power supply

And lastly, fill out the information located here
    If you must insist on using a non-sanctioned sitting apparatus, please consider the tensile strength
    of the materials present in the object in question in comparison to your own mass volumetric density.

In other words, stop breaking shit with your fat ass.

I appreciate the input, but I'm really only looking for an answer to the original question as that's the only thing I still have doubts about (+ I"m having it built, so my choice of parts is limited).. Not trying to be rude or anything, as I really do appreciate it, but yea
    Last edited by Eronath; 2014-11-26 at 07:33 PM.

At least get them to switch the motherboard and power supply out, both of them are pretty bad. That and the CPU cooler is a complete waste.

Otherwise yes, get the 970 if you can afford it.
    If you must insist on using a non-sanctioned sitting apparatus, please consider the tensile strength
    of the materials present in the object in question in comparison to your own mass volumetric density.

Get a 970 the ~70 bucks extra are well worth it. You even get the current shitty ac for free.
    Last edited by cFortyfive; 2014-11-26 at 07:51 PM.

Deleted
    I would never consider the 770 at this point.

Just below the price of the 770 you have the 280x. Which performs similar, but with an extra GB of Vram and wider membus.
    And for the same price or slightly above it you have the 290. Which is just a better card.

The motherboard could be switched out for a MSI Z97-G45 Gaming instead (best one I have available to me), would that be better?

There are so many z97 mainboards I don't know personally I would not pick the one with that killer network crap.

Better though a tad overkill(A H97 would be best if you can pick one of them) since you got a locked processor
    Do you have any other power supply options?

I don't have any other options aside from cooler master (500, 600, 700, 850 or 1000W), sadly.. The only non-cooler master psu would be a 1200W silverstone ST1200-G Evolution 2.0, which seems overkill in terms of power and price

I realise building a pc myself would be a lot cheaper / better in terms of price / quality, but I simply don't have the time / knowledge
    Last edited by Eronath; 2014-11-26 at 08:19 PM.

Is there a specific place/site your using for the parts? Only having Cooler Master PSU's is a bit...odd to say the least.

http://gamepc.nl/game-pc?tab=configu...3u-lzpm2gFQtPw (it's dutch, but I'm sure you'll be able to recognise the parts).. They're partly sponsored by Cooler Master (among others), hence the limited choice of parts.

Quote Originally Posted by tielknight View Post
    Swap the CPU to a 4690
    This is the big thing I noticed. There's no reason at all to buy the i7 over the i5 unless you are 100% sure you know the difference and would actually utilize it on a daily basis (i.e. you render videos daily). That right there saves you most of the cost to upgrade to a 970.

Yeeesh, would you be open to using another site? There are a few available to the Netherlands that would offer a much better selection and not charge so damn much

Yeeesh, would you be open to using another site? There are a few available to the Netherlands that would offer a much better selection and not charge so damn much
    I was planning on ordering it tomorrow, as I've been without gaming capabilities for 3months now (laptop had an accident) and withdrawal is setting in, but I'm open to suggestions after reading your responses

10+ Year Old Account
    At least get them to switch the motherboard and power supply out, both of them are pretty bad. That and the CPU cooler is a complete waste.

Otherwise yes, get the 970 if you can afford it.
    Finally someone who sees the truth about most aftermarket coolers!!! I have never used a different cooler than what came with the CPU. They do the job just fine.
    Fanboy (Fanboi):
    1. A term used towards someone when a person disagrees with the said someone on a subject, person, place, thing, company, or product line and they are not smart enough to debate their counterpoints or facts, so they resort to childish name calling in hopes of shaming others into silence and thus them winning through dominance.* 2. A term used as a taunt/peer pressure technique to shape popular opinion through shame and humiliation.

A bit of searching and I came across this one. http://www.4launch.nl/shop/#p-4-productid-356730

It's a good bit cheaper and comes with a SSD + 2TB hdd that the other one didn't have. Still has the CM power supply, but at least it's a much better system overall.

Processor: Intel Core i5 4690K Quad-Core (3.50 GHz)
    Cache: 6 MB
    Moederbord: MSI H97 Gaming 3
    Geheugen: Kingston 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 SDRAM
    Videokaart: MSI NVIDIA GeForce GTX970 Gaming 4 GB DDR5
    SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120 GB
    Harddisk: Seagate 2TB SATA 7200rpm
    Optische drive: DVD-/+RW
    Netwerk: 1 Gbit
    USB3.0: 6x
    USB2.0: 6x
    Displayport: 1x
    HDMI: 1x
    DVI: 2x
    Behuizing: Cooler Master Silencio 550 (Carbon)
    Koeler: Cooler Master Hyper 412S
    Voeding: Cooler Master 650 W
    Besturingssysteem: Microsoft Windows 8.1 64-bit
    Afmetingen: 505 x 415 x 210 mm

Think I may just go with that! Thanks for all the input / advice, much appreciated