Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Runewrath View Post
    Well then it's a good thing you can still play BM. BM is close enough to MM to allow anyone who wants to play it the opportunity to, without hindering their raid. Especially since you're not in a cutting edge guild.
    Exactly the reason i have no problems doing so.
    I'm past the days of raiding 5 days a week in a bleeding edge guild. I'll stick with my close group of friends raiding a few days a week and still having fun with it.

Top 20 guilds been there done that, don't wanna do it again.

10+ Year Old Account
    I hate Lone Wolf. I love having a pet, even on fights it's a pain in the ass, but I just do so much more dmg overall as LW Marks so I can't bring myself to switch. Maybe I'm playing BM wrong but my overall dmg plummets(not sure about my actual dps). I do significantly less on any trash that's not pure aoe and haven't found one heroic boss that I do more, or even close, as BM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cambria View Post
    I hate Lone Wolf. I love having a pet, even on fights it's a pain in the ass, but I just do so much more dmg overall as LW Marks so I can't bring myself to switch. Maybe I'm playing BM wrong but my overall dmg plummets(not sure about my actual dps). I do significantly less on any trash that's not pure aoe and haven't found one heroic boss that I do more, or even close, as BM.
    I blame short fight lengths and CA phase

I hate MM always have and every single time I return to wow it happens to be the favored spec, just turns me off all over again. When was the last time SV was the top for pve? My favorite spec is BM, but I like survival and I like my pet, so I hope they buff other talents and specs.
    X

10+ Year Old Account
    u don't
    Quote Originally Posted by zurm View Post
    Except unlike a mage you can do it while moving (and have the bonus min/max of optimizing movement to keep up the mastery)...and you'd lose a ton of the extra utility the hunter class has over almost any other class. And if you're super bitter about losing your pet, Exotic Munitions isn't far behind on ST, and ahead on multiple targets. Each spec has it's pro's and cons. I'm always shocked people like Surv when it has no DPS cooldown or kill shot, to me that's incredibly boring and monotonous.
    This gives me the feeling you haven't played a mage, considering they have a personal aspect of the fox with 3 charges and 20 second CD (yes ice floes, and yes they can hearth/mount/anything on the move with it as well now). Comparing MM hunter to frost mage, they are shooting out procs on gcd 70% of the time now with ice floes for any inbetween casts when MM only have a 2 second window after atleast staying still for 3 seconds. Besides that, personally I feel that MM doesn't feel smooth without focusing shot. <80% hp, a non crit AS/Chimera means most of your focus is gone. Focusing lines up well with sniper training and restoring the big chunks of lost focus.

Currently I'm MM, 636 with 8 pris sockets and BM OS.. Mid changing to BM main spec though, our raid comp has 3 MM hunters and 2 resto shammies and an enhance shammt. Not only will we need solid burst AoE but none of our mail users roll multi and 5/6 roll crit in their BiS gear. Atleast this was I can /roll my BiS gear without competition. Also considering the raid mechanics in highmaul a hunter that can constantly move and dps to soak/burst/aoe/etc is a plus.

In the end if you aren't hardcore play what you like the most
    Last edited by ArclightRL; 2014-12-02 at 11:13 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zomath View Post
    u don't

This gives me the feeling you haven't played a mage, considering they have a personal aspect of the fox with 3 charges and 20 second CD (yes ice floes, and yes they can hearth/mount/anything on the move with it as well now). Comparing MM hunter to frost mage, they are shooting out procs on gcd 70% of the time now with ice floes for any inbetween casts when MM only have a 2 second window after atleast staying still for 3 seconds. Besides that, personally I feel that MM doesn't feel smooth without focusing shot. <80% hp, a non crit AS/Chimera means most of your focus is gone. Focusing lines up well with sniper training and restoring the big chunks of lost focus.

Currently I'm MM, 636 with 8 pris sockets and BM OS.. Mid changing to BM main spec though, our raid comp has 3 MM hunters and 2 resto shammies and an enhance shammt. Not only will we need solid burst AoE but none of our mail users roll multi and 5/6 roll crit in their BiS gear. Atleast this was I can /roll my BiS gear without competition. Also considering the raid mechanics in highmaul a hunter that can constantly move and dps to soak/burst/aoe/etc is a plus.

In the end if you aren't hardcore play what you like the most
    Thank you for this, at least you get it

This gives me the feeling you haven't played a mage, considering they have a personal aspect of the fox with 3 charges and 20 second CD (yes ice floes, and yes they can hearth/mount/anything on the move with it as well now). Comparing MM hunter to frost mage, they are shooting out procs on gcd 70% of the time now with ice floes for any inbetween casts when MM only have a 2 second window after atleast staying still for 3 seconds.
    To be fair, frost is very mobile, but it's always been the PvP spec...only in this abomination of balance would it be a thing in PvE. Look at the other specs and see what a typical "mage" has to deal with. Warlocks fall under the same problem now for the most part. You're also comparing the LEAST mobile hunter spec with the most mobile mage spec, and even then the mage doesn't come that far ahead (even if you have to move a lot, you lose ~6% of your damage, while mages still have to frostbolt on occasion and the procs you mentioned are RNG and not under their control).

Besides that, personally I feel that MM doesn't feel smooth without focusing shot. <80% hp, a non crit AS/Chimera means most of your focus is gone. Focusing lines up well with sniper training and restoring the big chunks of lost focus.
    Hard to argue against opinion instead of fact. I happen to like the feel of MM; it's simple at it's core but there's a lot of room for finesse with pooling focus properly and timing ability use. I dislike surv because it feels incredibly monotonous without a CD or kill shot, and I dislike BM because it just feels like I spend all the time just doing steady shot + kill command. ToTH + Aimed Shot brings some fun dynamic and burst to MM.

Clearly we have differing points of importance. The new loot system means it's fairly easy to get the pieces you need, since there are fewer base pieces that can drop. The hard part is getting them perfectly gemmed/warforged etc.
    Last edited by zurm; 2014-12-03 at 04:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Drekker17 View Post
    When was the last time SV was the top for pve?
    Couple of months ago.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeiVias View Post
    Couple of months ago.
    Surv was not top a few months ago, BM was

Quote Originally Posted by Littlepinch View Post
    BM should always be top. We're Hunters. We have pets. Look at Rexxar, he's a Beast Master and he's a fucking badass.

10+ Year Old Account
    In regards to loot, it's more just secondary stat variation.. As people who don't get their optimal stats will just sidegrade that gear in the possible new future making that initial just a means to get better optimised gear. We use EPGP, so if its not a massive upgrade and the stats aren't optimal, people will be passing loot and it will be getting DE'd.

For rotation, it is hard to convey opinion, but I only ever find myself as MM either at the high end or the low end of the focus pool. Since it's partially based on RNG to how well your focus return is with your aimed shot crits, I find myself missing a few seconds on CDs if I have to steady spam my way out of low focus, but that's just my way of going about focus management.

It's funny, people say they hate having to stand still as MM hunter. In PvP threads people say Survival has better survivability because of traps, pet heal etc, but less damage. BM hunters solo some rares/elites that MM can't because of the pet tanking, etc, etc.

Then people want all of the benefits they have playing the other specs *and* they want to do the same damage as the spec that is forced to minimize movement.

Basically, they just want to reverse the situation. Why would anyone play MM when you have a shiza-ton more mobility in another spec AND do the same damage?

The whole point of the specs are right there in the names, for gods sake. Survival survives better, BM has pets to tank for them and do other things, and MM is a... MM who has more damage.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlepinch View Post
    They were both top, Surv was more based on RNG back then, but BM always pulled more on AoE fights and Surv pulled ahead in the 1-2 target fights. Also I found Surv better on heroic/mythic garrosh as it pulled higher boss specific dmg.

Also, raided last night. BM is pretty good on Kargath if you are in the stands. I just MD'd to tank and pulled most of them with barrage then just beast cleaved them. MM pulls ahead by far on Butcher though due to minimal movement and the single target thing. Servers crashed after we got to Tectus

Hate MM with a passion, only like BM for when I'm soloing stuff. I want SV but feel it's not good enough. MM and the standing still game ain't exactly a challenge, you stand still, move for a few seconds, then stand still again casting stuff. Give me L&L procs calore anytime!

10+ Year Old Account
    I found it super easy to solo anything as MM whilst lvling with animal bond, spirit bond, mend pet, and glyph of MD. That with your pet in tank mode and he was taking on nagrand 100 rares whilst pulling other mobs (because I'm a typical hunter) with ease. If he ever died through mend pet and I didnt feel like distracting to take aggro for a bit. I just popped det and revived pet.

I get what you're saying as well, but that would mean that MM would have to be the PVE spec forever which doesn't sit well with me. I always liked the idea of Surv being the dot/trap utility spec, BM being the pet/pet utility spec, and MM being the high opener/1hit alliance spec xP

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    I really enjoy BM, and my main is a BM Hunter. Sometimes I don't position right and still manage to pull things accidentally with Barrage, but that has yet to wipe a group. I like to say I'm not a huntard, I just do a good impression of one sometimes.

I'm with you as well, been playing BM since they introduced the ability to tame exotic pets and haven't changed until now. Even though MM is working well I don't enjoy it and would much rather play BM.

Deleted
    BM is perfectly viable in at least 2 fights.

Tectus there is plenty of cleave/AoE (beast cleave is much more reliable than Chimera cleave). It also depends on tactics you use.

I also use BM on the spore boss, can't remember his name, as I am on the flamethrower duty. You keep all your mobility and can leave your pet on the boss and line up your CD's with the damage buff to do far more damage than any other class could doing the same role as you.

As for play styles, I have no issues with MM (I played hunter in Firelands so used to the spec). Survival I always found to be pretty boring and monotonous. BM I feel like is ok now, but with gear it's not unlikely that Focus fire will be up alot more, which will make it more of a Slice and Dice type spell and not a dps CD like it is currently.

The problem is, beast cleave is so strong on AoE atm that if you let BM single target get anywhere near MM then it will just be the default spec. My money is on this happening at some point, depending on how MM scales.

10+ Year Old Account
    I love having a pet while soloing.

I love not having a pet while raiding.

The real problem is Surv. What the hell were the devs thinking? No baseline cd? Spammy much? Does no one at Blizz suffer from carpal tunnel? Because playing Surv for a night sure lit my hand up. Ouchie. No thank you.

MM/BM