Thread: Feels wrong.

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Feels wrong.

I'm finding the play-style of Destruction Warlock is really missing something now.

When I'm out of embers and a mob was sub 10% health it used to feel so natural to hit Fel Flame and finish them off. Now I gotta load up a 1.5 sec cast and it just feels so awkward and jarring. And I miss the feeling of throwing out a 1-2 punch of a chaos bolt or incinerate followed by a Fel Flame.

And now with the Rain of Fire changes I am really struggling for embers and things to press when moving. With Fel Flame when moving you could do some small damage at least while you repositioned, and pre-ROF nerf you could press that at least while moving, but now its just 1 Conflagrate and then your walking around doing zero damage (assuming you even held onto a conflag charge for movement!). Aside from the fact that it feels weird and isn't much fun, how is that fair compared to hunter who can still do damage while moving? And if Casters are balanced around only doing their full output while standing still, why are we doing less single target damage then the melee dps on patchwork style no-movement fights? Same with hunter? Under this new, no instants for casters model shouldn't we shine brightest in no movement single target? What am I bringing to the team now if I'm worse single target damage, worse AOE damage, nerfed utility, inferior CC, even worse damage in CMs due to bad scaling at 630 ilvl...

Plus the difference in damage output between starting a fight with full embers from previous trash and starting ember generation from scratch is just insane. Ember generation feels way too low, especially in single target and typical AOE situations of 3-4 mobs to actually use F&B in Challenge Modes. I feel like the only way I can even come close to keeping up with others damage is cheesing it with Glyphed Havoc'd Shadow Burns on mobs that are about to die anyway.

Hope Blizz reconsiders these WOD gameplay changes, game just felt more fluid to play with instants and we clearly need another pass on the numbers.

Using havoc on Shadowburns isn't cheese, it's optimization.

I also feel a bit ember-starved at the moment. I'm going to experiment with Charred Remains and GrimSac this evening. Also might mess around with extending the uptime of Dark Soul with the glyph and AD.

I feel your pain with the current state of Destro, but if you're a true warlock you'll figure out a way to shine again!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Expat View Post
    I'm finding the play-style of Destruction Warlock is really missing something now.

When I'm out of embers and a mob was sub 10% health it used to feel so natural to hit Fel Flame and finish them off
    why don´t you, you know, use shadowburn to finish it off to gain one extra ember like it was also done before the removal of felflame?

Quote Originally Posted by Expat View Post
    I feel like the only way I can even come close to keeping up with others damage is cheesing it with Glyphed Havoc'd Shadow Burns on mobs that are about to die anyway.
    thats actually also the right way to do. havoc the target with the most hp, and shadowburn the other targets, no matter if the target hit by shadowburn has only 1 HP left.

anyway, its right that it sucks that we got nothing to do while moving and no i don´t count RoF as "something to do", since it´s just bad gamedesign

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Valyna View Post
    why don´t you, you know, use shadowburn to finish it off to gain one extra ember like it was also done before the removal of felflame
    because it costs 1 ember

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Eierdotter View Post
    because it costs 1 ember
    and u gain 2 from it when it dies. If you are "finishing it of with felflame", then I think it should also die from shadowburn.

Deleted
    and u gain 2 from it when it dies. If you are "finishing it of with felflame", then I think it should also die from shadowburn.
    ok so you did not reread the OP
    he clearly states his problem is when he has no ember to finish the target off with a SB

Deleted
    ok so you did not reread the OP
    he clearly states his problem is when he has no ember to finish the target off with a SB
    well, my bad. but the answer to this is even easier: just spare one ember? think ahead at least a few seconds if you want to max your dps.

Deleted
    well, my bad. but the answer to this is even easier: just spare one ember? think ahead at least a few seconds if you want to max your dps.
    10% mob finisheable by a Fel Flame ... guess it is not a elite
    so the problem is outdoors questing/leveling

i have this problem a lot, runnign around not minding anything, watching my movie on 2nd screen.
    boom.
    falling of a cliff and die.
    rezz and get attacked by a mob.
    fighting it without pet and 0 embers
    conflagrate, incinerate -> mob at 10% *SB ability glimmers while outgrayed to mock me*

in heroics i feel it sometimes with those ogre warlocks, they go down to <20% i happily SB it and it stays at like 2%.
    i switch target to get some useful dmg dealt, just to notice some casts later, he does not die to cleave because he has that freaking shield up...
    jay <1 ember

the point is, we want Fel Flame back !

For me I miss fel flame when I have nearly one ember and the boss/mob has enough health for a fel flame and shadowburn but not enough to cast incinerate
    Battletag: Chris#23952 (EU)
    Warlock

Deleted
    10% mob finisheable by a Fel Flame ... guess it is not a elite
    so the problem is outdoors questing/leveling
    I don´t get that, why does it have to be an elite mob? Every normal mob gives you embers back when u shadowburn them. There are only a handful of mobs where it´s not that case and most, if not all of them, are inside raids/dungeons. especially during questing its freaking easy to shadowburn the mobs and never run out of embers that way.

Don´t get me wrong, I also want felflame back, but those reasons for it seem to be a bit made up to compensate bad gameplay.

@Valyna

It happens more often than you would think. Especially now we are so ember starved not exactly running around with 4 embers everywhere I go.

You know, your questing or in a dungeon or raid, you think a mob was going to die to SB and it didn't, now you have no embers left, what do you finish it off with? To kill it while the SB debuff is still up? Fel Flame. Feels good, instant cast, move on to the next thing. Now you can't do that, you gotta start loading up a cast time spell, by the time it goes off and with the long long long travel time of incinerate the debuff is probably over. And then the next mob you won't have embers for either, etc etc. Just doesn't feel as smooth as it used to - game play wise.

Deleted
    I don´t get that, why does it have to be an elite mob? Every normal mob gives you embers back when u shadowburn them. There are only a handful of mobs where it´s not that case and most, if not all of them, are inside raids/dungeons. especially during questing its freaking easy to shadowburn the mobs and never run out of embers that way.

Don´t get me wrong, I also want felflame back, but those reasons for it seem to be a bit made up to compensate bad gameplay.
    i am just interpreting the OP's sentences.
    You on the other hand seem to be only capable of accusing people of not knowing how to use Shadowburn,
    a sad accusation since the mechanic is in game since literally ages and not that hard to get.

ember regain is so damn non existent, its because our crit rating is too low, and we are used to high ember regain during siege.
    for me dest feels broken.
    Be feared, or be fuel

Deleted
    i am just interpreting the OP's sentences.
    You on the other hand seem to be only capable of accusing people of not knowing how to use Shadowburn,
    a sad accusation since the mechanic is in game since literally ages and not that hard to get.
    rule nr. 1 on the internet: there is no limit for dumbness, so be prepared for everything and yet there are also new players that just don´t know it yet.
    If you bring up a comment like "it´s not an elite", the only thing that comes to my mind is that you actually think that only elite mobs return embers on death. Maybe i should just join crying over a non existent problem and forget about how easy it is to prevent it, or well, u know, bring blizzard better reasons to re-implement felflame than "i need embers after I died after jumping of a cliff while watching TV"

@Expat: I leveled from 90 to 100 and havn´t seen a single mob yet that wasn´t returning embers on death

I say it once more: I also want felflame back. I´m only telling you here that there are ways you can solve your problems while blizzard need some more month to recognise that they screwed up
    Last edited by mmocac301e9072; 2014-11-28 at 12:18 PM.

Deleted
    rule nr. 1 on the internet: there is no limit for dumbness, so be prepared for everything and yet there are also new players that just don´t know it yet.
    Expat joined the forum in 2010 i assume he plays at least that long, you failed to notice

If you bring up a comment like "it´s not an elite", the only thing that comes to my mind is that you actually think that only elite mobs return embers on death.
    you quote "10% mob finisheable by a Fel Flame ... guess it is not a elite" however fail to notice that this indicates that the Fel Flame cast would kill the mob who is at 10% (elites in HC's have about 600k life, thats 60k at 10% = not oneshot by a Fel Flame)
    this thread is not about Shadowburn, you are the only one mentioning it all the time.

Maybe i should just join crying over a non existent problem and forget about how easy it is to prevent it, or well, u know, bring blizzard better reasons to re-implement felflame than "i need embers after I died after jumping of a cliff while watching TV"
    Shadowburn gives back embers if the target dies in the debuff timeframe, no one claimed otherwise, you only assumed it

@Expat: I leveled from 90 to 100 and havn´t seen a single mob yet that wasn´t returning embers on death
    like we all did

I say it once more: I also want felflame back. I´m only telling you here that there are ways you can solve your problems while blizzard need some more month to recognise that they screwed up
    truth
    responses in bold

you really have issues with reading and answering to the points made.

feel free to quote a random piece of words i wrote and link me the Shadowburn spell you seem to love so much, so i can learn about it.

i am done in this thread, nothing positive is going to come out of further debating.

PS: plz do not assume everyone is an idiot and give him the bullshit answer, think about his statement rethink about your response and if it would contribute.
    same with tradechat where people write "selling [Sky Crystal] for XXX Gold (Alani Mount)" and people like you respond with "the Sky Crystal is BoP you can not trade it" ....thanks captain obvious

Deleted
    Expat joined the forum in 2010 i assume he plays at least that long, you failed to notice
    that indicates that he started any of the games on mmo-champion and maybe even quit them for some years, sorry that I don´t look through all of his posts first and just answer his post

If you bring up a comment like "it´s not an elite", the only thing that comes to my mind is that you actually think that only elite mobs return embers on death.
    you quote "10% mob finisheable by a Fel Flame ... guess it is not a elite" however fail to notice that this indicates that the Fel Flame cast would kill the mob who is at 10% (elites in HC's have about 600k life, thats 60k at 10% = not oneshot by a Fel Flame)
    this thread is not about Shadowburn, you are the only one mentioning it all the time.

WHAT THE HELL HAS AN ELITE TO DO WITH THIS? god damnit. My response to the finishable with felflame thing was all about that you ALSO can finish it with shadowburn, when you can finish it with felflame --> you don´t need felflame for this. got it now? i hope so.YOU are the one mentioning that its not an elite and it would still be a problem with questing. Have you got confused by the "maxing your DPS" part? Thats not only related to elite mobs. I don´t think it´s only me that wants to kill questmobs as fast as possible

Maybe i should just join crying over a non existent problem and forget about how easy it is to prevent it, or well, u know, bring blizzard better reasons to re-implement felflame than "i need embers after I died after jumping of a cliff while watching TV"
    Shadowburn gives back embers if the target dies in the debuff timeframe, no one claimed otherwise, you only assumed it
    Yeah, thats my bad because I havn´t read that he was talking about not having embers, so I thought your "because it costs embers" answer was about not knowing you would get 2 embers back, but we´re already done with that, arn´t we?

getting really sick of this sh*t now...
    Last edited by mmocac301e9072; 2014-11-28 at 01:26 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't feed the troll.

@op: yes it feels extremely clunky now

getting really sick of this sh*t now...
    Why in the hell would you use cyan text for your responses?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by BonesTheRabbit View Post
    Why in the hell would you use cyan text for your responses?
    I was in a hurry...and..well...yeah...i thought it would look better than that =S

Deleted
    I was in a hurry...and..well...yeah...i thought it would look better than that =S
    OP is not asking for what he should do, he is saying that the lack of fel flame in specific situations is annoying. We all know that if a mob is low on hp, there are many ways to deal with it, but that is not the point. OP is simply saying that it was nice to have an instant cast low damage spell in certain situations. A similar one is where a mob is very close to 20% hp, but not in shadow burn range, and now you have to incinerate instead of a quick fel flame -> shadow burn. Not a huge issue, but it just felt nice to do it that way, and OP misses it (So do I). No idea why you want to tell him there are other ways to do things, when that is perfectly obvious to everyone.

"I miss riding my bike. Anyone else miss their bikes?" - OP

"Well you can walk/run/drive you know" - You