Page 1 of 8
... LastLast
    Deleted

Normal or HC? What do you start with in Highmaul?

Hey guys,

So recently my guild has heard a bunch of different things from different people on where a guild who normally uses a few months to progress through Heroic(old normal) should start in Highmaul. Some people say that with a raid of 20 ppl around 634 ilevel you should start in HC and some say normal.

Where will you guys start and how fast do you normally progress through Heroic and mythic?

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    My guilds going to plow through normal and then do heroic.

normal will let you get a preview of tactics, and let you cut corners due to the easier difficulty.

It will give you a few pieces of gear, and shouldn't take very long. But weapon/trinket upgrades in particular will speed up your heroic progression.

There is no reason not to rush through normal, if you're capable of raiding heroic difficulty.

Only reason you would skip normal, is if your guild is so "hardcore" that it plans to clear heroic this week and step straight into mythic next week, essentially making normal pointless, since you'll be farming heroic and mythic for upgrades.

10+ Year Old Account
    My guild is going to start heroic and hop into mythic as soon as it unlocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Uggorthaholy View Post
    Thanks but no thanks, Lora, for making me question everything in existence forever.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymitylol View Post
    My guilds going to plow through normal and then do heroic.
    Cool, could you just tell me how fast you normally progress through hc and mythic so i get a feeling of you are compared to my guild?

10+ Year Old Account
    Normal. You will get wrecked on heroic.
    "The sword is mightier than the pen, and considerably easier to kill with."

We'll start with Heroic and see how it works out. Blizzard said Heroic was tuned for people in 630 gear, so it would seem like the appropriate target for us.
    If it doesn't work out at all, we can always switch to normal, but if it does work out, we already have an extra day for normal scheduled up for some free gear.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nevcairiel View Post
    We'll start with Heroic and see how it works out. Blizzard said Heroic was tuned for people in 630 gear, so it would seem like the appropriate target for us.
    If it doesn't work out at all, we can always switch to normal, but if it does work out, we already have an extra day for normal scheduled up for some free gear.
    Blizzard didnt say this. Maybe heroic is that easy but i wouldnt be surprised if it wasnt THAT easy to pug through. We are still heavily undergeared.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by celinamuna View Post
    wat, iz faceroll
    So you cleared it already? Thought it isnt open yet.

High Overlord
    7+ Year Old Account
    My guild is going to quickly batter through normal and hope that the extra loot will mean we can clear heroic this week. We'd typically clear old normal (maybe not last boss if it all fell apart) in week 1, by my understanding (haven't been with my current guild for the start of a tier).

If you typically take several months to clear old normal, you will probably want to start with new normal. The extra loot will really help and it will bring your raid up to speed on mechanics. The extra loot will be huge- if it would usually take you months to clear the whole raid, you're looking at maybe Kargath and butcher down week 1, tops? So 8 pieces of loot across your entire raid (assuming 20 people) to help with next week's progress :S a bit of normal loot will likely quadruple that.

Deleted
    The benefit of doing heroic first is that you can potentially get a slightly more efficient loot distribution that way, but tbh the benefit really is quite slight. If you usually take a few months to clear old normal then you might as well try normal first - if you find it laughably easy you can go straight on to heroic, if it's actually quite challenging you can stay there until you clear it.

My tentative plan (fairly casual guild - were 11/14 heroic before 6.0, avg ilvl going in probably around 635) is to do the first three bosses on normal the first night, and if we still have time left try the same bosses on heroic, so that we're not trying to learn seven new fights in one night, but that plan may change depending on how the tuning feels

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Klatar View Post
    Blizzard didnt say this. Maybe heroic is that easy but i wouldnt be surprised if it wasnt THAT easy to pug through. We are still heavily undergeared.

- - - Updated - - -

So you cleared it already? Thought it isnt open yet.
    Noone is talking about pugging

To the people who say "you will get wrecked on hc". What do you base this on? Just curious

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    normal and then heroic.
    we need as many as possible drops for the leg ring.

Deleted
    Normal should be completed in few hours, so the best approach (for first week) should be first normal, then go heroic (planning of clearing heroic first week of course)

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    My team and I, are going to do normal first. We just started out with alot of new people I need to test out, to see if they are fit for mythic. Plus, it's extra gear making the transistion from heroic to mythic easier (given that some people might have a slot or two thats not heroic highmaul, then rather have normal highmaul gear than hc (warforged possibly) dungeon gear).

Quote Originally Posted by Nawdle View Post
    My guild is going to quickly batter through normal and hope that the extra loot will mean we can clear heroic this week. We'd typically clear old normal (maybe not last boss if it all fell apart) in week 1, by my understanding (haven't been with my current guild for the start of a tier).
    Doesn't Normal/Heroic share loot lockout, meaning that if you kill a boss on normal, then you can't get loot on HC this week? And only Mythic is separate from said lockout?
    Quote Originally Posted by Archaeon View Post
    In tbc everyone wished they were playing vanilla. In cataclysm everyone will wish they were playing wotlk.
    ^------True story!!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by DemoBytom View Post
    Doesn't Normal/Heroic share loot lockout, meaning that if you kill a boss on normal, then you can't get loot on HC this week? And only Mythic is separate from said lockout?
    No they dont share look lockout

Straight to heroic. Most of my raiders are 635+ and this is the same team I led through SoO.

10+ Year Old Account
    My guild has 8 raid teams. We're all following the same formula. Going to clear Normal tonight, and then resume our daily raid schedules pushing Heroic the rest of the week.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by AbsolutVodka View Post
    My guild has 8 raid teams. We're all following the same formula. Going to clear Normal tonight, and then resume our daily raid schedules pushing Heroic the rest of the week.
    8 raid teams? That sounds insane. Does that mean 4x Mythic teams or do you actually have 8 raid teams with 20 members in each