Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    I support a cash shop in WoW!

This is exciting! Hopefully this will lead to full twitch integration of Steam games.

EXCEPT...

Can I turn the settings off so I don't have players I'm fighting against in a match/friends spying on me while playing?

10+ Year Old Account
    It is a neat idea, and hopefully it's not very resource intensive. I can already tell viewing your friends' games will require a fairly high upstream in order to get a good quality stream from them though. I don't think they would make it automatically upstreamed, but hopefully opt-in is a requirement after it leaves beta.

Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian Stormclaw View Post
    This is exciting! Hopefully this will lead to full twitch integration of Steam games.
    Seems like it's not Twitch, but Steams own streaming platform.

Looks like they're step by step trying to become the "all-in-one" PC gaming platform. Interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Seems like it's not Twitch, but Steams own streaming platform.

Looks like they're step by step trying to become the "all-in-one" PC gaming platform. Interesting.
    Steam will never become a major streaming platform by itself and Valve knows it. My bet is that they want to tie this in with Twitch sometime in the future, but are limiting to friend tests ATM.

Steam will never become a major streaming platform by itself and Valve knows it. My bet is that they want to tie this in with Twitch sometime in the future, but are limiting to friend tests ATM.
    Why not? They've got a built in audience of 75M users (Twitch, by comparison has roughly 50M unique visitors per month, not sure on actual number of accounts), which is massive. Not to mention there are already pretty big communities and big names on there.

I can easily see them looking to go toe to toe with Twitch in this regard and pull a lot of the PC-centric streams/streamers away from Twitch, provided their service is good enough.

I'm guessing Amazon is thinking their $950M acquisition of Twitch is looking slightly less attractive right now, but we'll see how this plays out.

10+ Year Old Account
    Neat, hopefully a twitch integration is coming next.

Deleted
    All Steam needs is 1 big hit like LoL on Twitch if they have a decent streaming platform and Twitch is history. Take LoL from twitch and they ain't got shit.

As long steam keeps up giving me exactly what I want without to much of a hassle I'll keep supporting the client. So far everything I'm not interested in isn't forced down my throat unlike every other client.

It will be pretty cool if I could stream my games to friends without to many 3rd party client involved.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Why not? They've got a built in audience of 75M users (Twitch, by comparison has roughly 50M unique visitors per month, not sure on actual number of accounts), which is massive. Not to mention there are already pretty big communities and big names on there.

I can easily see them looking to go toe to toe with Twitch in this regard and pull a lot of the PC-centric streams/streamers away from Twitch, provided their service is good enough.

I'm guessing Amazon is thinking their $950M acquisition of Twitch is looking slightly less attractive right now, but we'll see how this plays out.
    I kinda hope another streaming platform comes into play, Twitch doesn't do much innovation and might be forced to if someone else comes along.

So basically... outlaw TF2, CSGO, and DotA 2 on twitch and make them steam exclusives?

So basically... outlaw TF2, CSGO, and DotA 2 on twitch and make them steam exclusives?
    Why? What's to say folks can't switch from Twitch to Steam, and bring much of their audience with them?

Well if your going to try to make your platform compete, your going to need something that the other doesn't have. An obvious choice is which games your allowed to stream; CSGO, TF2 and DotA are Valve's biggest streamed games so making it so that you can only stream them through Steam would be a big boost. Not like you'd have to install new software or anything like that OBS headache.

Overall, I just can't grasp Valve breaking into an already established streaming market as a major competitor.

Well if your going to try to make your platform compete, your going to need something that the other doesn't have. An obvious choice is which games your allowed to stream; CSGO, TF2 and DotA are Valve's biggest streamed games so making it so that you can only stream them through Steam would be a big boost. Not like you'd have to install new software or anything like that OBS headache.
    That would be, but I doubt Valve would go that route.

But there are other draws.

1. The software/setup could be easier. Given that it's going to be native to Steam, it could be much easier to run, making it a more convenient choice.

2. Again, the built in audience of Steam. 75M total users. If Valve works to promote streaming through the front store page, that's a hugely powerful tool to draw in some of that audience. It's just going to be an issue of how it's going to be monetized for streamers.

Overall, I just can't grasp Valve breaking into an already established streaming market as a major competitor.
    They got into selling non-gaming software. They added a music player to Steam. They added Big Picture to capture more of the TV market and help move them towards the living room console market. This is just another tool to try to drive more folks who aren't on Steam to use Steam, and to keep folks who are already on Steam, using it. Their moves have been to make Steam a more and more attractive "all-in-one" solution for PC gamers, something which inherently benefits them by keeping high engagement with their audience and increasing the number of sale opportunities through that increased engagement.

10+ Year Old Account

EXCEPT...

Can I turn the settings off so I don't have players I'm fighting against in a match/friends spying on me while playing?
    You have the options of invite only, friend request, friend only, and everyone. So I guess the 'off' feature would be invite only.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Pretty fantastic move on their part. Their strategies are pretty brilliant.
    BAD WOLF

10+ Year Old Account
    Wonder if I can stream DAI through it? Wonder if there is a performance impact?
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SirRobin View Post
    Wonder if I can stream DAI through it? Wonder if there is a performance impact?
    As far as I can tell it's any game that is on Steam. Best way to test it is to ask a friend who has the client updated to try and watch your game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fallen Angel View Post
    As far as I can tell it's any game that is on Steam. Best way to test it is to ask a friend who has the client updated to try and watch your game.
    I'll try it tonight and see.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

10+ Year Old Account

EXCEPT...

That's what people said when they decided to launch a digital platform to sell games on, they were laughing stock at the time.

It's hard to predict what will happen not everyone is happy with twitch and their rules and services. Valve has also been very heavy on "community" and "open source" leading to things like the workshop were they allow people to create things under their copyrights and take a % of the cut.

And we all know Gabe isn't done till he has every thing surrounding gaming covered.

They seem to be going the "apple" road, not make something different but make something easy to use.

Deleted

Banning Valve games from Twitch would make them loose people, not gain them. I think you are looking at it all wrong. Steam didn't grow big by being exclusive, steam became big by uniting many different platforms into one with the very important feature having a super easy interface and being gamer friendly.

They could possibly release a new game and make that steam exclusive streaming, but any game out at this point will never be stream exclusive to steam. It's like giving a lollipop to a baby just to take it away again.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SirRobin View Post
    I'll try it tonight and see.
    Try stream desktop if you're playing in windowed / window full screen. Or see if you can have the steam overlay for the game.