Thread: My first HTPC

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account

My first HTPC

Hey everyone,

I'm really hoping for your help in this. I'm trying to get my first HTPC, after I've been using a Boxee Box and a WDTV for some years, I now want something more and better.
    I need to be able to use Windows on it, watch Netflix, YouTube and use XBMC. I got all my movies on a Synology NAS, so I need to be able to stream wireless from that one too. I would also like to be able to use a wireless keyboard and mouse.
    I dont need 3D or 4K support.

My problem is, that I dont know what to use in a HTPC. Theres also stuff like the Intel NUC, Chromebox, Zotac Zbox etc.
    I would say that my budget is around 500$.

Could you help me out please?

Thanks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just had someone ask me to build them a PC for their TV. It's really just a PC hooked up to a TV. It's really that easy. Now in terms of what people expect from a HTPC it's simple.

#1 Quiet
    #2 Lots of Storage
    #3 Elegant case that doesn't make my living room ugly
    #4 Small

That's basically what people want out of a HTPC. AMD's APU's are a popular choice due to their built in graphics and low cost and you don't need a graphics card with another noisy fan. As far as cases go you could get anyone of these.

But honestly just build a regular PC. $500 is plenty. Any wires keyboard + mouse is fine. Though this Remote is really good as it acts like a WiiMote for the mouse.

Another thing to consider is whether Intel Atom tablets or the slightly upgraded Baytrail Celeron/Pentuims are fast enough to be used at HTPCs.

HP Stream 13 $230 for example.

I built my first one about 6 months ago, as more of proof concept for myself using old PC parts, but I'm running windows 8 with media center on its not bad, but when i do a rebuild of it in the spring i'm probably dropping to windows 7 with media center or trying the XMBC . I picked up a 20 +/- Logitech wireless keyboard with touch pad for mine and my tuner has an app that allows me to control the media center part with my cell phone which can also control my TV so win/win. The case was important to me as I wanted something different but yet elegant, so i chose http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811204039 I love the old school look for it but that is of course my taste. I would either look into CPU's that are air cooled, or spend the extra for ultra quit fans for the CPU cooler and Case.

in short 500 is doable pick mid to low end stuff (i3 / i5 if you can splurg), I like the WD raptor series of hardrives 10k rpms for recording storage but you have the NAS so likely not needed for your set up, decent MB should have on board video capable of doing what you want as well. I would fork out enough for a small SSD on the OS (i just can't stand a PC with out an SSD after using one...).
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

10+ Year Old Account
    If you want something really small and compact and neat, the Gigabyte Boxes might be for you. This one is barebones but comes with an Intel i5 with Iris Pro graphics. That's going to be pretty good. You'll have to buy a HDD and memory for the unit.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16856164011