Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Casuals are BACK

Last month, in the 15-20 ranks, the quality of decks was HIGH, and getting wins was tough. Lots of decks had multiple legendaries at these ranks. There did not seem to be many other "shitty players" playing.

I put together a legendary filled deck, and did fairly poorly with it making it only as high as rank 13. A shitty player with legendaries is what I was called on these forums.

In disgust, I went back to no legendary - no epic decks, where my 6 drops are like the 6-7 mob with no other characteristics. All my decks have had all legendaries and epics stripped from them and reformed.

And in the 18-20 range I am basically playing a nice mix of beginner type decks, with games that are competitive AFTER turn 5, with very few legendaries or epics anywhere to be seen. I am having fun People are respectful, saying Good Game after they lose, and are mostly not using Good Game as a "Look how good I am" display of insecurity when they win. People play promptly, and have also been creative in finding ways to gain advantages. I win some, lose some, and am thoroughly enjoying myself.

I hope this trend continues! And while I am at it I propose a minimum rank of 15 for any deck with a legendary in it.

10+ Year Old Account
    i'm sorry the only deck types i run into now is face hunter,face hunter and well face hunter occasionally other classes.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Deleted
    I continue to be baffled when people say they only experience high quality (I presume it means meta decks) at lower ranks, because at the start of every season, much to my delight, I see a wide diverse of very non-meta decks. Consequently it is the best time of the season, just because you never know what you'll see

But anyway, I'm glad it has worked out for you. Keep having fun!

I dont see a great variety of decks tbh. Im at rank 17 and i play mostly against locks. Handlock and Zoolock. While i dont care to play againt handlock because it has some strategy in the game i just cant face stupid Zoolocks anymore. They are around since ever and all they do is pull cards quicker then you and hope they are lucky ...while luck favours their gamestyle a lot...

I wish i could meet different classes like you. Maybe i need to get into another rank range! For example, it feels like i havent seen a druid for weeks now!

Quote Originally Posted by PPN View Post
    I wish i could meet different classes like you. Maybe i need to get into another rank range! For example, it feels like i havent seen a druid for weeks now!
    I play Druid & Priest almost exclusively. ^o^
    If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars.

Update: What I have found is: Ranks 18 -> 20 - new players and no-legendary no-epic decks.
    Ranks 17+ -> 3+ legendaries that start fast and end with big mobs.

The difference in deck power is HUGE from the lowest rung of 17 to the highest. I found out by working my way to 17, and then getting beat down by just too many legendaries. I put together a high-legendary of my own, and got up to 16 when the power of each opponent deck went up VERY fast with each succeeding win.

This is very nice for me. I'll disband my legendary deck and go for all decks no-legendary, no-epic, rise to 17, get creamed by legendary decks, and this bouncing is fun. There is a place of serious players, rank 17 up to 1, and a place for people like me, ranks 18 -> 20.

Can't say that's what I experienced. Didn't play at all last month and had to go through a lot of good control decks and well obviously hunters.
    Then again obviously it wasn't exactly the largest sample size.

Deleted
    Can't say I saw much of that, though I leveled at the start of the season when I guess "top" players were (not that I'm one of them).

Mostly see hunters and warlocks, with a mix of priest and warrior, infrequent rogue and the occasional druid popping up rarely.

I did see a few unusual decks though, especially from warlocks. I felt horrible when I thought stole Illidan AND Loatheb from some guy, then shadow madnessed his void caller into getting the Illidan out on turn 4. That one thought steal told me everything - there were other decks I had no idea what to make of though. Life tap turn 2, harvest golem turn 3 - right, zoo with a bad draw? Then it starts playing like a handlock with watchers etc.

Amusing that some of the hardest games come from people who are throwing decks out where my gut reaction was "what the hell kind of deck is this", not because the deck was particularly great, but because I had no idea what to expect or how to play against it.

I'm gonna guess that this won't be the case. The longer the game exists, the more even casual players are going to stock up on legendaries and epics, the more you'll see those even in the lower ranks. Of course, every season has its regular fluctuations in this, with your experience probably being in the second half of the season where the better decks have progressed past the 15-20 ranks.

Don't see the issue with legendaries personally. On EU I have a nearly full collection (I have no qualms about dropping a bit of cash on the game) and I've peaked at top 50 legend. I play very occasionally on Asia and NA as well (maybe once a week to do a set of quests) and I've made it past rank 10 on both of those with decks that contain mainly basic and common cards, no legendaries, maybe an epic or two, possibly a few rares (can't quite remember) and it was neither zoo nor hunter decks. My point is just that your lack of legendaries is not to blame for your position on the ladder.

Deleted
    Like being casual at game is bad, lmao.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega10 View Post
    Last month, in the 15-20 ranks, the quality of decks was HIGH, and getting wins was tough. Lots of decks had multiple legendaries at these ranks. There did not seem to be many other "shitty players" playing.

I put together a legendary filled deck, and did fairly poorly with it making it only as high as rank 13. A shitty player with legendaries is what I was called on these forums.

In disgust, I went back to no legendary - no epic decks, where my 6 drops are like the 6-7 mob with no other characteristics. All my decks have had all legendaries and epics stripped from them and reformed.

And in the 18-20 range I am basically playing a nice mix of beginner type decks, with games that are competitive AFTER turn 5, with very few legendaries or epics anywhere to be seen. I am having fun People are respectful, saying Good Game after they lose, and are mostly not using Good Game as a "Look how good I am" display of insecurity when they win. People play promptly, and have also been creative in finding ways to gain advantages. I win some, lose some, and am thoroughly enjoying myself.

I hope this trend continues! And while I am at it I propose a minimum rank of 15 for any deck with a legendary in it.
    nothing better to do with ur time than troll aye pricess?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulDok View Post
    Like being casual at game is bad, lmao.
    Whatever that even means... Mostly people seem to define "casual" as "not playing like the game was a second job."

Deleted
    At low ranks I always face the weirdest and msot diverse decks. It's completely unpredictable.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fulla View Post
    At low ranks I always face the weirdest and msot diverse decks. It's completely unpredictable.
    i would dearly love to see that diversity instead of mage/trap hunter/divine shield paladin/secrets hunter/miracle rogue/handlock/zoolock/murlock/
    shaman at rank 20-16 seem to be almost nonexistant.(in 30+games at rank 20 once i ran into exactly one shaman.)
    i occasionally see druids.
    don't mind the other priests but they seem more common at 19+.
    in fact i would dare say rank 20 seem to be a dumping ground for all the fotm decks.
    Last edited by breadisfunny; 2014-11-17 at 10:21 PM.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Quote Originally Posted by Fulla View Post
    As someone who likes to create them for fun, I'm happy to hear it. Maybe I should start up again, esp now that the bots are gone.

My point is just that your lack of legendaries is not to blame for your position on the ladder.
    There is no "blame" to be had. I am enjoying the people I play with in the 18->20 range, I like the diversity of decks and the good ideas I've seen people pull, and I thoroughly enjoy playing now. And now and again I defeat someone who pulls out 4-legendary decks and I like that as well! There are also fewer people "winning by being rude" - the "do whatever it takes to get the other person to quit" mentality that pops up now and again higher up in the ranks.

I have found a place that I like, and I am STAYING here

10+ Year Old Account
    Rank pushing gets easier or harder depending on the time of the month.

Insert unsavory joke here.

But seriously, I'll be able to go up a few ranks in an hour with a deck I have. The next day that deck won't win...once. The day after that I'll make up the ranks I lost and gain 2 more. All the same deck. RNG is one thing, but fickle player trends is definitely another.

The game SHOULD be played very casual.

Sitting on the loo or between 2 sesssions of another game like WOW.

My son plays it when he eats dinner, and he gets a lot of aggro from my wife

The situation in ranked play will be ridiculous in a few months time: playing it will demand an extreme amount of money to put into the game or just let it go and play one or two games a day with an expected loss of 80% against the "whales".

Blizzard should address the issue and launch a standard only version or something, so everyone can play and compete with each other on their (limited card level).

But then ... the revenue would go down too.

So I see no solution: you either pay 200 Euros for this game every 6 months or semi-stop playing with a now and then casual session you will surely loose more than you like.