Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Why has the useless/lazy trend of typing just "^" become so prevalent?

Title. Why do people respond to things with ^? I understand it means "that" or "I agree", but is it really necessary?

Yet another thread to complain about something random :/, I don't know mate but dont get mad about it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by angeleg View Post
    Yet another thread to complain about something random :/, I don't know mate but dont get mad about it.
    ^^

In all seriousness...it's not necessary. But it's harmless.

Quote Originally Posted by Holyyoloswag View Post
    Title. Why do people respond to things with ^? I understand it means "that" or "I agree", but is it really necessary?
    Hangs on the web, can't handle web language. Writing "^" is no more or less necessary than anything else, as long as people understand what it means. I bet one could argue that pretty much everything on a forum is unnecessary and doesn't amount to anything though, if negative enough.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    ^
    /10 chars

It gets the message across in the most efficient and succinct manner possible.
    Whoever loves let him flourish. / Let him perish who knows not love. / Let him perish twice who forbids love. - Pompeii

15+ Year Old Account
    Just mean's "agree with above/same as above". Don't use it on forums, but sometimes in chat.

It just conveys what I want to say without making it unnecessarily long.

Why do people complain about completely harmless things? I understand they have their right to speak their minds, but is it really necessary?

I don't think you completely understand the meaning behind it. when someone types ^ (meaning: what that guy said) it's usually at least from what i've seen and used to be in a condescending tone. It's a "I don't have time to deal with your dumb shit" answer.
    It's like crossing an intersection. There's shit going on all over the place and you don't panic and act like an idiot then do you?

thisˇ
    Quote Originally Posted by Torgent View Post
    Why do people complain about completely harmless things?
    /10chars

Deleted
    Because we're not writing an essay or a formal letter. It's used in casual conversation so we're allowed to be lazy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well on this forum you're not allowed to say "this".

Deleted
    It's still better than fags spamming rekt, rip and kappa in every single sentence...

Quote Originally Posted by Torgent View Post
    Why do people complain about completely harmless things? I understand they have their right to speak their minds, but is it really necessary?
    Who is complaining? I'm asking a question.

10+ Year Old Account
    It came with the same development of other terms such as, 'LOL', 'K', 'WTF' etc.. Even 'etc' developed during the language use to simplify the use.

It is the part of internat that follows us around, not really laziness but a development from the use of communication + management of time.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Deleted
    I find it quite funny. It's a way of saying 'The above is so correct it doesn't even warrant further discussion'. Saying something like 'I agree' suggests that opinions are valid in this situation, and where opinions are valid, there is no definitive correct answer.

EDIT: Typo

Quote Originally Posted by Rorcanna View Post
    Hangs on the web, can't handle web language. Writing "^" is no more or less necessary than anything else
    I would personally disagree. It adds nothing to the conversation. It is less necessary than something that adds to the conversation.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DFTR View Post
    I find it quite funny. It's a way of saying 'The above is so correct it doesn't even warrant further discussion'. Saying something like 'I agree' suggests that opinions are valid in this situation, and where opinions are valid, there is no definitive correct answer.

EDIT: Typo
    This explanation actually makes sense, unlike the throngs of useless posters complaining about me 'complaining',

what a stupid thread this is...

I would personally disagree. It adds nothing to the conversation. It is less necessary than something that adds to the conversation.
    Likewise, many people would argue that your thread adds 0 things of value to the internet.

The thing is, many communities are built around disagreement. On this very forums quoting someone to expand on an idea is often seen as disagreement (and more often than not it leads to back and forth posting to explain how you already agreed on something). It is fluff as much as me posting smiles here and there: because I know my English is crass at times so I counterbalance it; of course that won't stop some people from detecting passive-aggressiveness but oh well...

At the end of the day, most of what people write contains 0 information. Yet the fluff helps some amount -perhaps minor- of people to contextualize someone's position. In a world of disagreement, a shortcut for consensus (as is '^') is a nice thing to have.

:]
    Last edited by nextormento; 2014-12-06 at 06:21 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by taliey View Post
    It gets the message across in the most efficient and succinct manner possible.
    ^

It's kinda like how we can communicate with eachother just by smiling or winking.