Stood in the Fire Steve the Sloth's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Critique these logs | Ready for Fire?

Classiccs - Mage

Here are logs from tonight, pay most attention to the 30N group. Am I missing anything here? https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...ABtKg#fight=26

Also, I've hit about 20% crit and was curious if fire could be viable with the rework it got for crit scaling, etc.

Thanks for any input!

Deleted
    No, fire is useless nowadays. I'm expecting a significant buff to fire this week (either that or nobody is gonna use that spec this tier)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by seijulala View Post
    No, fire is useless nowadays. I'm expecting a significant buff to fire this week (either that or nobody is gonna use that spec this tier)
    35% extra dmg to Pyroblast wasn't enough? Fire will be viable as soon as you have the stats/items for it (2/4-pieces, trinkets, crit ratings)

Deleted
    It absolutely wasn't enough. It will be sup par before full 695 bis gear, at which point it will still be behind other spec, but without being a complete dead weight. It still needs to be looked at very seriously.

Deleted
    You can buff Pyroblast brainlessly to infinite damage, regardless, you won't have the reliable procs you want to play the spec counter something like Frost. Just saying, the buff will be more noticeable when you can stream out Pyro's effectively.

Your Ice Nova cast count is only at 7... Seems low, regardless of the short duration of the fight, but wasn't sure how it is calculated since it is on charges and such.

It's an instant high dmg nuke that should be prioritized into your rotation.

Also, compared with other logs from mages last night, their #1 damage source is usually prismatic crystal, so I would make sure that if you are using that talent, you are doing your best to optimize the damage while the 12-second window is there.

Why are you not using Water Jet until so late? I use water jet immediately for my first 2 FoF stacks and then follow burst sequence. By the time you are done, its back up again!

10+ Year Old Account

r jet

Quote Originally Posted by olmek View Post
    Why are you not using Water Jet until so late? I use water jet immediately for my first 2 FoF stacks and then follow burst sequence. By the time you are done, its back up again!
    I switched it up and prioritized water jet on my opener tonight, little funky to get used to but the results seemed better. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Myxel View Post
    35% extra dmg to Pyroblast wasn't enough? Fire will be viable as soon as you have the stats/items for it (2/4-pieces, trinkets, crit ratings)
    actually no... the pyro buff was useless since we have zero pyro proc due to low crit rates... or maybe 2-3 in entire fight. It is just a bad design as always. You can't balance a class to be viable in top gear. It's like telling to tanks that oh sorry you will be able to tank in mythic warforged gear... but how you gonna kill the bosses without that is another question.
    Last edited by Bryci; 2014-12-04 at 02:48 PM.

Deleted
    It wasn't useless, it brings up the spec to kind of acceptable levels at consdierably higher gear levels that what is currently available (full hc and 4t17).

However it does nothing for lower geared mages, and dumping more damage into pyro rather than fireball/scorch/ib makes the spec even more RNG dependant.

Deleted
    Fire won't become truly viable this tier without buffs, however, next tier it will be the best spec (all classes) in the game in BiS, guaranteed. (Assuming no nerfs/changes)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutchmagoz View Post
    Fire won't become truly viable this tier without buffs, however, next tier it will be the best spec (all classes) in the game in BiS, guaranteed. (Assuming no nerfs/changes)
    Well jeez Dutch, now that you say that....as soon as 6.2 drops:

Mage -

Pyroblast - Damage reduced by 35%
    Battletag: Vale#11596
    Armory - Twitter - Stream

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchmagoz View Post
    So I'm assuming the whole "we are fixing fire's scaling issues with this *new* Enhanced Pyrotechnics perk which has now solved all of fire's issues" line that was fed to the mages by Blizz in beta has now effectively been proven to be a complete sham... kinda like exactly what the beta mages said when they saw it on beta in the first place? Lol.

Its like a check-list of "I told you so's" at this point. This ^ exact issue and the painfully weak attempt to have fire not have the exact same issue it has had for countless expansions was brought up pretty clearly. I just don't understand how Blizz can keep consistently be being proven wrong, and yet, they make absolutely no course corrections in their methods.

/mind boggle.

I mean for all the work they put in into making the game simpler and 'easier to balance' over all these years, they really have nothing to show for it.

The game is still a sh!tshow of balance, especially at expansion start, exactly like it has been since BC (and in some cases, even worse than BC).

It seems that all that the sacrifice of gameplay and fun that was made with the promise of "making the game easier to balance" actually ended up accomplishing, is making the game easier to develop for. Meaning the only real winners are the devs, who now can put in less effort, to pump out the same broken sh!t.
    "There are very few who can claim what he can. There are even fewer who can prove it like he can. There are even less that can match him, but all will no doubt accept what he is, and what he can do. The Highlord is for sure one of a kind. A true Master of the Arcane arts. It would be best for you to listen."
    - Lady Nåabi of the Immortalis, former Guild Executor, former Raid Lead.

10+ Year Old Account
    I love the discussion on Fire but does anyone else have any input/recommendations/critique of the logs I posted?

Deleted
    36 FoF procs vs 30 IL casts, 14 BF procs vs 13 FFB casts is what jumps out to me. You could have gotten in a couple of extra IN's and an extra PC cast as well i think.

Let me just get out my Darkmoon Card: Wrath because everybody knows that was a truly fantastic trinket.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryci View Post
    actually no... the pyro buff was useless since we have zero pyro proc due to low crit rates... or maybe 2-3 in entire fight. It is just a bad design as always. You can't balance a class to be viable in top gear. It's like telling to tanks that oh sorry you will be able to tank in mythic warforged gear... but how you gonna kill the bosses without that is another question.
    More gear = More pyro proc's. Just like i said, the buff isn't significant now, but once you start getting decent crit-ratings and set pieces/trinkets, fire has a shot at competing.

I can just tell you now though, fire won't be a viable option for progress. Frost5ever