Unholy Downtime?

I'm still trying to learn Unholy but I have a question that really isn't in any guides I have found. When you are doing your opening rotation is it just me or is there like a 8sec amount of downtime to wait for unholy/death runes to regen before you can do anything? Opener is Army > Pot > Gargoyle > Defile > Outbreak > 2 Festering Strikes. Downtime is after doing that opener. Just seems like it would effect "burst" by just sitting there but maybe I'm doing it wrong. Also I know if you get a random frost rune that regens you icy touch to convert it to death rune so for the random blood rune do you blood boil? Sorry if these are obvious questions. Just trying to learn to play Unholy better one step at a time.
    Last edited by pallyballz; 2014-12-09 at 10:20 PM.

usually you'll use plague leech or ERW to clear that downtime

Quote Originally Posted by pallyballz View Post
    Also I know if you get a random frost rune that regens you icy touch to convert it to death rune so for the random blood rune do you blood boil? Sorry if these are obvious questions. Just trying to learn to play Unholy better one step at a time.
    Sort of. If you have more than 1 target, yes you use icy touch to convert it to a death rune, and then you use all blood and death runes on blood boil.

If you have only a single and you get a frost rune wait for a blood to come up and then use festering strike. if you have 2 frost runes, you CAN icy touch once that way you aren't pooling 2 frost runes, but in single target, that's pretty much the only time you'll use Icy Touch. (This often happens if you have adds that died to the last 2 blood boils from your frost runes that were converted to death runes, and you will just need to fix one of them to get your rotation back on track).

For the first part of your question, see RedFlame's response. ERW and Plague Leech. Also, if your guild does a count down, then cast army 5 seconds into the countdown that way you will have that UH rune up for a scourge strike which will give you a second death coil.

But my opener looks like this:

Army > Pot > Gargoyle > Defile > Outbreak > FS > FS > Death Coil > Plague Leech > Plague Strike > SS > SS > SS

If needed that's when I'll pop ERW if I'm out of runes and Death Coils. Specifically on Butcher I actually save ERW until Blood Lust because it's a short fight and I won't get a second use out of ERW by popping it on the pull.

Hope that helps.
    Last edited by reikoshea; 2014-12-09 at 07:54 PM.

Thanks guys I really appreciate it. Both posts made total sense. I knew I was doing something wrong. Just wasn't thinking of using Plague Leech or ERW. The Frost/Blood rune thing makes sense too. Cheers!