A question about Frost AOE rotation.

Forgive me I'm new to DK frost( Well DK in genereal) and every guide I find about Frost DKs rotation states I only apply diseases with Howling blast and plague strike. I understand that for Single target, but what about AOE? Do I not worry about spreading my blood disease to multiple targets and just keep frost up on all targets? Or do I start with howling blast PS then BB to spread it? Any help would be awesome, thanks guys

the death rune used to blood boil and spread them is worth less than a quarter, if that, of a single HB, and the total dot ticks would need to tick for full duration for it to even be a marginal dps increase.

In other words don't spread blood plague, okay got it. What it it's a long cleave fight and the target won't die in 30 secs? thanks again for any info and for the reply.

single target? tab target and PS. multiple targets? i covered that in my reply >_>

Quote Originally Posted by RedFlame View Post
    the death rune used to blood boil and spread them is worth less than a quarter, if that, of a single HB, and the total dot ticks would need to tick for full duration for it to even be a marginal dps increase.
    I find that very hard to believe. Given that HB deals 90% AP + 45% AP per cleave target, BB does 60% AP per target, and BP does 23.64% AP per 3 seconds per target, you would need an absurd amount of mastery (increases frost damage only) to make HB more important than applying Blood Plague, even on 2 targets.

In fact, since HB does reduced damage to secondary targets, it would take higher precedence in a single-target rotation. Yet, the icy-veins guide says that you should Plague Strike to apply Blood Plague over using HB in the single-target rotation (despite BB being mysteriously missing from the AoE rotation). I feel like I'm missing something, or someone just forgot to include BB on there, because that's a logical contradiction.

You should definitely use BB to spread BP in AoE situations that will last a decent amount of time (allowing BP to tick a few times), UNLESS there are few enough targets that you can keep BP refreshed on all of them with only the spare unholy runes you have (using PS). Am I wrong?

could be true now, i suppose. would need to go grab all the pertinent ability scalings, and check, i was just mostly quoting what i remember from back in MoP when i was last frost. wheres the best place to grab those %s, since the spellbook likes giving plain old numbers?
    specfically, baseline mastery and scaling for frost.
    Last edited by RedFlame; 2014-12-09 at 10:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RedFlame View Post
    wheres the best place to grab those %s, since the spellbook likes giving plain old numbers?
    I got them from wowhead, although I can't be certain if those are up-to-date.

I think BP and FF used to do much lower damage (because their main benefit was strike-scaling) so that's my guess as to why it was never important to Pestilence BP in the Frost AoE rotation before

Quote Originally Posted by cashballer View Post
    I got them from wowhead, although I can't be certain if those are up-to-date.

I think BP and FF used to do much lower damage (because their main benefit was strike-scaling) so that's my guess as to why it was never important to Pestilence BP in the Frost AoE rotation before
    that and blood boil and pestilence weren't baked together.
    i guess its hard to say atm (without some numbers to math with). blood plague still does tick like a wet noodle for frost, compared to the rest of its abilites, so i would still say its best not to bother applying and spreading unless the adds will live for more than 10 seconds or so.