Nor on this land alone,
    But be God's mercies known
    From shore to shore:
    Lord make the nations see
    That men should brothers be,
    And form one family
    The wide world o'er.

*mic drop*

Make it longer, I don't care. I just fast forward that shit anyway.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    Raised me safely, gave me a quality education, protected me from foreign invasion, provided me with the opportunity to influence how I'm governed, provided a legal climate in which the economy could grow and thrive and give me the job opportunities I've benefitted from, just to name a few things.
    None of those are true.

Hell, most of those are due mostly to the companies that run America, not America itself.

Quote Originally Posted by rym View Post
    You were raised by your parents.

Couldnt you have gotten that from a world wide education system as well? And wasnt it, infact, your teachers, your friends, your parents, your family who learned you what you needed to learn? And not a nation?

When was america ever to be invaded? All the wars your country does happen in other nations.

Thats your government, and not your nation. Your nation is just a large number of people you dont know. A virtual border drawn somewhere on the map. Your government isnt your nation. Your country also could have been germany, spain, italy, great britain, and all of them would have done the same for you, or even against you.

And even a world without nations could have given you exactly that.

So why do you think you have to be proud of _your_ nation?
    Being proud of your country does not imply any negativity towards another nation (or hypothetical absence of all nations).

I'm really not sure what you are trying to argue against here. And no where did anyone say they felt they HAVE to be proud so I don't know where that last part came from.

His country gave him a good life. you don't need to love your country for that, but why shouldn't someone express that if they do?

(And "other countries could have made you happy too" is some fairly worthless rhetoric that will do nothing but lead a discussion in circles)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by MrTophat View Post
    Yeah. A world-wide education system. That will work.
    You doubt that? For which reason?

A government is a part of a nation, not a unique entity capable of existing on it's own.
    Sure it is. You could split a country, and put up two governments, without any problem. Something like that happened a lot in history.

A nation is just a virtual group of people, which live within human-made borders.

Governments in turn provide and maintain an infrastructure which provides things such as public roads, public schooling, policing, standing armies and various other services.
    Which could be done in a world without nations.

Because yeah, living in tribes was such a great fucking thing for the Human race.
    Not talking about tribes. I talk about continents. And the world itself. Whats your problem to enhance your nationalistic feelings to the world itself?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lamondo View Post
    (And "other countries could have made you happy too" is some fairly worthless rhetoric that will do nothing but lead a discussion in circles)
    Just like Americans shouting MUH COUNTRY DID ME A SERVICE like any other first world developed country is not the same or outright better than America at what it does.

I kind of like having borders and nations, it makes it easy for me to tell where the crazy starts and ends.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
    I kind of like having borders and nations, it makes it easy for me to tell where the crazy starts and ends.
    As this american map shows:

http://i.imgur.com/Ah9Hg.jpg

Is that a map for retards?

this comment is now a lot worse since you edited the post
    Last edited by Tradewind; 2014-12-10 at 07:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Fiend View Post
    Just like Americans shouting MUH COUNTRY DID ME A SERVICE like any other first world developed country is not the same or outright better than America at what it does.
    No. Not like that at all. I didn't say the concept was wrong. Just that it is not any sort of basis for what he was arguing, which is that national pride is explicitly bad. You CAN be proud of something without it having to be (or implying that it is) the absolute best bar none.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
    Is that a map for retards?
    For Americans.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lamondo View Post
    No. Not like that at all. I didn't say the concept was wrong. Just that it is not any sort of basis for what he was arguing, which is that national pride is explicitly bad. You CAN be proud of something without it having to be (or implying that it is) the absolute best bar none.
    That's not what he was arguing against thought. He is arguing against Nationalism blinding people to the fact that most countries do it pretty much the same way when it comes to first world developed countries.

The Pound Stirling is stronger than the Dollar, do you see me lauding it over every poor ass yank? No. Because I am proud to be British without trying to throw my underwear and everyone and telling them to sniff the crotch.

10+ Year Old Account
    A highly disgruntled constituent of Lindsey Graham.
    As this american map shows:

http://i.imgur.com/Ah9Hg.jpg
    I am kind of curious why there is so much emphasis on ass kicking in the caucuses, I am pretty sure most Americans are barely aware they exist.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Thekri View Post
    I am kind of curious why there is so much emphasis on ass kicking in the caucuses, I am pretty sure most Americans are barely aware they exist.
    Because they're like... former Commies man.

Turkish national anthem is 10 verses long. We only sing the first two verse. Here is the english translation.

Fear not; For the crimson banner that proudly ripples in this glorious dawn, shall not fade,
    Before the last fiery hearth that is ablaze within my homeland is extinguished.
    For that1 is the star of my people, and it will forever shine;
    It is mine; and solely belongs to my valiant nation.
    Frown not, I beseech you, oh thou coy crescent!
    Smile upon my heroic nation! Why the anger, why the rage?
    Our blood which we shed for you shall not be worthy otherwise;
    For freedom is the absolute right of my God-worshipping nation.

I have been free since the beginning and forever shall be so.
    What madman shall put me in chains! I defy the very idea!
    I'm like the roaring flood; trampling my banks and overcoming my body,
    I'll tear apart mountains, exceed the Expanses and still gush out!
    The horizons of the West may be bound with walls of steel,
    But my borders are guarded by the mighty bosom of a believer.
    Bellow out , do not be afraid! And think: how can this fiery faith ever be extinguished,
    By that battered, single-fanged monster you call "civilization"?
    My friend! Leave not my homeland to the hands of villainous men!
    Render your chest as armour and your body as bulwark! Halt this disgraceful assault!7
    For soon shall come the joyous days of divine promise;
    Who knows? Perhaps tomorrow? Perhaps even sooner!
    View not the soil you tread on as mere earth - recognize it!
    And think about the shroudless thousands who lie so nobly beneath you.
    You're the glorious son of a martyr - take shame, grieve not your ancestors!
    Unhand not, even when you're promised worlds, this paradise of a homeland.
    Who would not sacrifice his life for this paradise of a homeland?
    Martyrs would burst forth should one simply squeeze the soil! Martyrs!
    May God take my life, all my loved ones, and possessions from me if He will,
    But let Him not deprive me of my one true homeland in the world.
    Oh glorious God, the sole wish of my pain-stricken heart is that,
    No heathen's hand should ever touch the bosom of my sacred Temples.
    These adhans and their shahadahs are the foundations of my religion,
    And may their noble sound prevail thunderously across my eternal homeland.
    For only then, shall my fatigued tombstone, if there is one, prostrate a thousand times in ecstasy,
    And tears of blood shall, oh Lord, spill out from my every wound,
    And my lifeless body shall burst forth from the earth like an eternal spirit,
    Perhaps only then, shall I peacefully ascend and at long last reach the heavens.
    So ripple and wave like the bright dawning sky, oh thou glorious crescent,
    So that our every last drop of blood may finally be blessed and worthy!
    Neither you nor my kin shall ever be extinguished!
    For freedom is the absolute right of my ever-free flag;
    For independence is the absolute right of my God-worshipping5 nation!
    Last edited by Maximus Testiculos; 2014-12-10 at 07:00 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Instead of singing all of it, they should turn it into a rap to get it over quickly. National Anthems always feel so long and drawn out.

That's not what he was arguing against thought. He is arguing against Nationalism blinding people to the fact that most countries do it pretty much the same way when it comes to first world developed countries.
    Are you sure? Because to me it looked like he took the thoughts of a seemingly rational person (as in, not your gun loving, Muslim hating, "MURRICA" type with a superiority complex), tried to invalidate his feelings literally point by point, then started talking about a world without nations altogether.

10+ Year Old Account
    A highly disgruntled constituent of Lindsey Graham.
    Because they're like... former Commies man.
    And current hotbed of Religious Hatred, Organized Crime, Ex-Soviet politics, Corruption, Arms Dealing, and centuries old ethnic and tribal fears and hatred, fueled by oil and an endless stream of American, Russian, Iranian, and Chinese money, weapons and drug traffic.

There is a plenty of violence, but very little asskicking.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    The Pledge needs to be removed from schools. It reeks of indoctrination, and coupled with the fact the children have no idea what they're saying it's downright creepy.
    Yeah I'd agree with that.

- - - Updated - - -

You were raised by your parents.
    My parents raised me part of the time, yes. Part of the time I was raised by the public school system. And I was kept safe by the police, fire, and emergency medical services provided by my government during that time.

Couldnt you have gotten that from a world wide education system as well? And wasnt it, infact, your teachers, your friends, your parents, your family who learned you what you needed to learn? And not a nation?
    What? A world wide education system? No. No such thing exists.

My teachers were paid by the government to provide that education.

When was america ever to be invaded? All the wars your country does happen in other nations.
    Not for a long time, because my government has had the foresight to put together a strong armed service that could deter invaders.

Thats your government, and not your nation. Your nation is just a large number of people you dont know. A virtual border drawn somewhere on the map. Your government isnt your nation. Your country also could have been germany, spain, italy, great britain, and all of them would have done the same for you, or even against you.
    My government was elected by my nation. Yes, Germany, Spain, Italy, etc. could have also done those things for me. They didn't, since I don't live there. Being proud of my country and loving it doesn't mean I think it's unique or better than all the others. It just means I'm glad I grew up here because it has done good things for me.

And even a world without nations could have given you exactly that.

So why do you think you have to be proud of _your_ nation?
    Because _my_ nation is the one that did these things for me. It's the same reason I love _my_ mother and father. There are plenty of other good parents out there, but they didn't raise me. Mine did, and they did a great job and I love them for it.

- - - Updated - - -

Trust a Texan to show he has no Musical Capacity.
    I didn't comment on the music. I commented on the lyrics. Trust a Texan to know the difference.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

I don't necessarily become offended because of just using the first stanza.

I do; however, become very offended because somebody that is popular at the time thinks it'd be cool to make their own rendition of it and butcher it beyond comprehension.

No, Jimi Hendrix doesn't get a pass either. Anybody that takes liberties with the national anthem is disgusting to me.

You can argue the merits of nationalism, some good but according to me mostly bad. Others may feel differently.

I think few people would disagree with the fact that it is to go way too far to demand that others are as nationalistic as you are.