Mage PvP ... feels like I end up having no abilities to use?

I don't know why maybe im just terrible at mage now but a lot of the times when im PvPing I feel like I run out of abilities to use. Last time I pvp'd seriously on my mage was in Cataclysm and I don't remember ever having this issue, there was always an ability I could use, never ran out, something always came back off CD and I had many spells to use.

Now a lot of the time (especially in games that over aren't quickly) it feels like I run out of things to do and all I can do is just cast frostbolt.

At first I was liking the squish of spells but now i kinda dont like it as I find myself sitting there wondering wtf to do because i have very limited amount of abilities. (and no im not just spamming 2 icenovas all the time, depends on the situation but i do save a charge for special situations etc)

I also PvP on a druid and a rogue (at 100) and I don't have this issue, with those 2 classes it feels fine...so yeah this issue is basically just with my mage. Which is annoying because the highest ratings Ive ever obtained in the past was by far on my mage, 2500 in RBGS and 2350 in 3s
    Last edited by Sussex; 2014-12-11 at 01:58 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    and what is the problem with casting frostbolt?

it is like complaining that you cannot use anything than mutilate while out of combo points.

you can use frostbolt, ice lance (4k+ dmg), cc or positioning. i don't see the point of the complaint. every class has some sort of "filler" spell. and frostbolt is not the worst i would say.

just because it isn't instant doesn't mean it isn't useful. i only played 2vs2 and bgs but even then i had more then enough situations where i could cast fb.

arcane on the other hand i would understand ...

but there the problem is more than just damage.

mage playstyle completely changed since Cata.

you shouldn't expect any class to be the same over 2 expac releases.

Polymorph and Frostbolt are the skills you're looking for. If I had to guess I'd say probably Polymorph more.