Poll: Holy Nova

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by PosPosPos View Post
    Right, and the resto druid spamming wrath without DoC specced, holy pally spamming denounce with offensive holy shock and resto shaman doing the ele shaman rotation is for their own Archangel-esque mechanics, I am sure.

It's right there in the logs you linked as well, which is the huge irony.
    We're discussing Atonement. People aren't using Atonement primarily for its DPS but for AA. The damage contribution is merely a nice bonus.

The log I linked has 19 casts of Solace, 10 casts of Penance and 9 casts of Smite for 38 Evangelism stacks. The Priest used AA 7 times, which means that there were only ~3 additional casts of Atonement not meant for Evangelism/AA (and that can even be explained via simply using Solace beyond 5x Evangelism for mana). What were you saying again?
    Last edited by ceddya; 2014-12-20 at 03:20 PM.

Right, and the resto druid spamming wrath without DoC specced, holy pally spamming denounce with offensive holy shock and resto shaman doing the ele shaman rotation is for their own Archangel-esque mechanics, I am sure.

It's right there in the logs you linked as well, which is the huge irony.
    Those are tied to the damage of smite and the healing of atonement how?
    If they do it for the damage... good for them. Smite does no damage.

If they don't remove it they should at least rework it. I would prefer to have it work somewhat like Wild Growth. Where you cast it on a target and it can heal 4-5 other nearby targets and give the spell a 5-6 second cooldown, and a slightly higher chance to crit so we can get DA's out of it. Nerf PW:S in the process slightly to balance things out. This would help greatly in diversifying Disc's spell usage giving the class a bit of aoe burst healing.

Quote Originally Posted by lizon View Post
    If they don't remove it they should at least rework it. I would prefer to have it work somewhat like Wild Growth. Where you cast it on a target and it can heal 4-5 other nearby targets and give the spell a 5-6 second cooldown, and a slightly higher chance to crit so we can get DA's out of it. Nerf PW:S in the process slightly to balance things out. This would help greatly in diversifying Disc's spell usage giving the class a bit of aoe burst healing.
    That's actually not a bad idea, but would change HN's role of being a filler group heal.
    The easiest change would be to buff it to some value between now and before all the nerfs after 6.0.

To improve its design I'd give it a cast time and either allow it to target other players (like your suggestion) or increase its radius.

Increase the healing it does, and add synergy between it and PoH. Something along the lines of each cast of Holy Nova reduces the cast time and mana cost of your next PoH by 10%, stacks 5 times. Obviously this may be a bit OP (or not, I haven't touched my disc priest this expansion so I don't know), but it would be good to have a use for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Noradin View Post
    Those are tied to the damage of smite and the healing of atonement how?
    If they do it for the damage... good for them. Smite does no damage.
    You obviously skipped out on the previous messages. Don't cut into conversations if you don't want to actually have a full picture of the situation.
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Prediction for the future

Apart from the healing, what I hate about HN is that I need to spam click it every GCD. Why cant they make it a cast time that pulsates the healing (like Penance does for single target or Mind Flay or Mind Sear do for dps). Casted on yourself or maybe like Mind Sear on a party/raid member.

You obviously skipped out on the previous messages. Don't cut into conversations if you don't want to actually have a full picture of the situation.
    I'm still waiting for a reply. By the way, if you look through even more Mythic Butcher logs, you'd see even far less Atonement usage from Disc Priests. For probably the tightest DPS check, how odd it is that Disc Priests aren't using more Atonement for the DPS. You should probably heed your own advice.

Deleted
    Discs do not need buffs, they are intended to shield, not to heal.

If you want smart AE heals, play holy.

Quote Originally Posted by Berkhtar View Post
    they are intended to shield, not to heal.
    Disc's heals: Penance, PoH, Heal, Flash Heal, L90 talents, Holy Nova, PoM, Atonement

Disc's shields: PWS, Spirit Shell(talent), CoW(talent)

Healing spells: 8
    Shielding spells: 3 (Divine Aegis doesn't count, it's a crit proc, not a spell.)

Now what were you saying about "disc is not intended to heal" ?

The point of this thread is that Holy Nova is stupidly weak to the point where nobody ever uses it. It's useless. This isn't WOTLK where healers have strict niches; every healer has good AoE heals and good ST heals, for the most part. Disc is the outlier in that its ST is strong and AoE is weak. (shield spam is not AoE)

The common suggestion is that PWS spam should be nerfed while Holy Nova is buffed/made useful in some way.

Discs do not need buffs, they are intended to shield, not to heal.

If you want smart AE heals, play holy.
    Wrong Forum...

I feel like there is a relatively easy solution to Holy Nova since it is now a disc only spell. Have HN replace PoH and buff it to comparable levels but add disc synergy. So it should heal for more (but cost significantly more) to align it with PoH since we would lose that spell. Also have the tier 17 bonus affect HN instead of PoH.

An idea to add disc synergy would be to have it heal shielded targets for more, add more seconds to a shield, or (and my personal favorite) have it heal for 60% of PoH and place the additional 40% as shield on targets affected (making it an AOE shielding spell). In high raid damage situations it would benefit the disc priest to spam HN (eating into mana which is the trade off) to lessen the incoming damage for many people quickly. So the question becomes...is the mana worth it to shield the raid in mere seconds. You could also add that enemy targets affected by HN take increased holy damage for X secs to allow it to synergize with our holy damaging abilities (and ret pallies) instead of just damaging the target.

Holy Nova would look like this:

Holy Nova
    Mana cost =7.1% (maybe slightly more being insta-cast and adding the damage effect)
    Instant cast
    Heals 5 nearby targets up to 30 yards for 133% spell power and shields them for 88.665% of spell power. Also debuffs enemy targets within 15 yards with "Holy Nova" increasing holy damage taken by X% for Y seconds.
    Last edited by Captn Chunk; 2014-12-22 at 05:45 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by anon5123 View Post
    The common suggestion is that PWS spam should be nerfed while Holy Nova is buffed/made useful in some way.
    In order to give good AoE-Heals to Disc you need to nerf the normal heals as well, which heal twice the amount of any other healer ingame. This is not only about shields.

Disc has higher HPS by spamming Heal than a Holy-Priest by spamming Flash-Heal.

As long as any single target heal disc has including PWS is rididulously strong it does not make any sense to pimp their aoe-heals.

Disc is in a very good spot in Highmaul at the moment. No class is spamming aoe-heals at the moment but you want a spammable aoe-heal + strongest single target shield / heal ingame... yeah great. Back to MoP... raiding without disc was not possible.

Disc has its spot... stay there and leave druids, holy-priests and shamans their healing.

I did. You know what they say about assuming?

- - - Updated - - -

In order to give good AoE-Heals to Disc you need to nerf the normal heals as well, which heal twice the amount of any other healer ingame.
    I dare you to actually play the game... seriously.

Except nobody uses Heal in raids...

As long as any single target heal disc has including PWS is rididulously strong it does not make any sense to pimp their aoe-heals.
    you want a spammable aoe-heal + strongest single target shield / heal ingame
    If you could actually read my post before replying to it, that'd be great.

10+ Year Old Account
    Buff its healing and increase its mana cost. Make it more situational, but something worth casting in said situations.

Quote Originally Posted by Noradin View Post
    I did. You know what they say about assuming?
    It's not assuming when you clearly replied to my post with something that has nothing to do with the point I raised.

Again, at least have the courtesy to go back and read the entire convo if you wish to stick your finger into every pie.

As a hint for you, the fact that atonement has been used on the context Ceddya brought up has nothing to do with generating Archangel stacks/atonement healing/damage of smite specifically, but for meeting enrage timers on a fight that has tight enrage and is arguably the second hardest boss on mythic this tier as a result.
    Last edited by PosPosPos; 2014-12-23 at 11:28 AM.
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

In order to give good AoE-Heals to Disc you need to nerf the normal heals as well, which heal twice the amount of any other healer ingame. This is not only about shields.

Disc is in a very good spot in Highmaul at the moment. No class is spamming aoe-heals at the moment but you want a spammable aoe-heal + strongest single target shield / heal ingame... yeah great. Back to MoP... raiding without disc was not possible.

Disc has its spot... stay there and leave druids, holy-priests and shamans their healing.
    We're not asking to buff disc heals, can you even read? We want rebalancing of ALL disc abilities so that the spec becomes more fun to play. That's literally it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tkasinger View Post
    Aren't there always some abilities that you don't use though? And to me, if I'm absorbing so much dmg that other healers are left twiddling their thumbs I'm doing a damn good job. Seems like a great problem to have.
    "Hey Resto Druid, Holy Priest, Resto Shaman, don't worry about turning up to the raid this week - we're going with fewer healers, and you get to sit out because our Disc Priest has got you covered. Isn't that wonderful?!"

Quote Originally Posted by Bench333 View Post
    "Hey Resto Druid, Holy Priest, Resto Shaman, don't worry about turning up to the raid this week - we're going with fewer healers, and you get to sit out because our Disc Priest has got you covered. Isn't that wonderful?!"
    Might want to move out of Normals and go into harder heroic and mythic bosses then.