Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    The word e-sports seems to be confusing people into believing video games are sports. I have trouble accepting Darts as a sport nevermind Starcraft.

Nothing says athleticism & discipline like sun-starved lardasses wheezing over teamspeak at each other.

They have their own Olympics; the WCG.

Deleted
    No, it shouldn't be in Olympics.

It'd be a disgrace to the olympics to allow something like this.

E-"sports" (and i use the word sports in an extremely sarcastic almost disgusted way) should have its own giant competition thing. Let's not diminish actual athletes.
    Dragonflight Summary, "Because friendship is magic"

Deleted
    e-Sports are not only not sports, they're also incredibly saddening to watch. Playing Starcraft or god forbid LoL is bad enough. Watching that tripe is next level awful.

Keep that 'social advancement' boner in your pants, buddy. Nobody wants to see that.

I don't see the big deal, the Olympics already has a lot of whacky stuff and NBC can still tape delay track and figure skating in prime time to their heart's content.
    One Sweet Dream

Deleted
    I think Pardo and other designers should stop with the "e-sport wannabe" obsession.

One thing that always astounded me in this guys' arguments is that they never seem to care about actual good gameplay and not just "nice looking gameplay".

I personally don't care whether video games are part of olympics or not,I think its just trying too hard to prove something that doesn't change anything. There are already competitions, why desire to impose this on everyone's TV?

I'm getting tired of these idiotic developers who only seem to care about a flashy advertisement of their products and not factual quality. Because thats all I read here: blablabla Olympics, esport,blablabla we want more sponsoring to sell more. Good for them but the e-sport bullshit is just ruining video games in their gameplay and community in my opinion. Even non-esport games like WoW suffer from this dick-comparing mentality. If you want good competition don't even go outside quake,CS or some strategy games and combat games. The rest is just a facade.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zolascius View Post
    e-Sports are not only not sports, they're also incredibly saddening to watch. Playing Starcraft or god forbid LoL is bad enough. Watching that tripe is next level awful.

Keep that 'social advancement' boner in your pants, buddy. Nobody wants to see that.
    That and the fact that like usual gamers still live in a rock. The vast majority of people don't care at all for games,let alone watching people in front of a computer play something they don't even understand. Yes the playerbase around the world has increased a lot,but its still a fraction of the world population. And games unlike sports are not seen as divided activities (like golf,basketball,soccer,tennis,etc...) they are just games. You like them or not

Deleted
    tbh esports has no place in real olympics i mean antiques roadshow has alot of people watching does it mean that valueing antiques should be an olyhmoic spiort

The Olympics is all just a sham anyway it ceased being about Human Athleticism long ago.
    The world was just as bad when you were young as it is today. You only see it now because of your age.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have zero interest in watching same face SE asians and unwashed scandinavians play video games.
    Rudimentary creatures of blood and flesh. You touch my mind, fumbling in ignorance, incapable of understanding.
    You exist because we allow it, and you will end because we demand it.

Sovereign
    Mass Effect

Quote Originally Posted by Fahrenheit View Post
    I have zero interest in watching same face SE asians and unwashed scandinavians play video games.
    Now for that I would want to see it just to see the reaction of the general public when it's put on the olympics. They'd be like "wth is this? it's a joke right?"

We don't need another reason to give China more gold.

Lack of TV is not a downside, it's nothing more than a dated solution with a new coat of paint. It was a great idea to send analog signals trough a copper wire, limiting fiber wires sending several terrabytes of data per second to TV is shortsighted. Regular viewers are already content with consuming the entertainment on their computers.

Also, who gives a damn about the olympics? Just a bunch of greedy old men on that committee.
    Last edited by MMKing; 2014-12-26 at 02:24 AM.
    Patch 1.12, and not one step further!

Quote Originally Posted by lateralsx5 View Post
    I think Pardo and other designers should stop with the "e-sport wannabe" obsession.

One thing that always astounded me in this guys' arguments is that they never seem to care about actual good gameplay and not just "nice looking gameplay".

I personally don't care whether video games are part of olympics or not,I think its just trying too hard to prove something that doesn't change anything. There are already competitions, why desire to impose this on everyone's TV?

I'm getting tired of these idiotic developers who only seem to care about a flashy advertisement of their products and not factual quality. Because thats all I read here: blablabla Olympics, esport,blablabla we want more sponsoring to sell more. Good for them but the e-sport bullshit is just ruining video games in their gameplay and community in my opinion. Even non-esport games like WoW suffer from this dick-comparing mentality. If you want good competition don't even go outside quake,CS or some strategy games and combat games. The rest is just a facade.

- - - Updated - - -

That and the fact that like usual gamers still live in a rock. The vast majority of people don't care at all for games,let alone watching people in front of a computer play something they don't even understand. Yes the playerbase around the world has increased a lot,but its still a fraction of the world population. And games unlike sports are not seen as divided activities (like golf,basketball,soccer,tennis,etc...) they are just games. You like them or not
    In the US, gaming is a bigger market than movies. Most people play games.

Quote Originally Posted by Silvercrown View Post
    In the US, gaming is a bigger market than movies. Most people play games.
    I bet most gamers don't watch e-sports.

Here's the thing...everyone understands ice skating or javelin throwing or basically any sport in the olympics whether you enjoy that sport or not...BUT e-sports are different in that even if you love video games and love competitive videogame playing if you don't know anything about the video game being played then it's kind of pointless to watch. I know jackshit about LoL, I wouldn't understand really what was going on if I watched someone play it, regardless if it was at some competitive level or not. IF someone didn't know a thing about WoW they wouldn't understand what makes these people olympic level players, it'd basically just be some people running around casting pretty looking spells to them. There isn't thousands of different variations of downhill skiing that you have to understand how all of them work to enjoy it like there would be for Olympic e-sports, how would they even decide which game is played at the Olympics? WoW may be the most popular sub based mmo ever, but how many people would refuse to even watch WoW in the olympics out of spite because they don't like the game? Video game fans are not like fans of Olympic sports, most people won't refuse to watch Olympic powerlifting because they don't like the name brand of weights being used.

Plus have you seen these fat fucks who play video games...
    If you want to use Starcraft 2 or LoL or Dota, almost every single person ranked as the best in the world at either in shape, or really skinny.

So...you're wrong. Maybe stop adhering to stereotypes.

10+ Year Old Account
    The same day they allow WWE.

Creator? No. Lead designer sure. Big difference.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lansworthy
    Deathwing will come and go RAWR RAWR IM A DWAGON
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyCasual View Post
    There's no point in saying this, even if you slap them upside down and inside out with the truth, the tin foil hat brigade will continue to believe the opposite.