Page 1 of 14
... LastLast
    Deleted

Rent-A-Tank, Rent-A-Raid, Rent-A-Gameplay

I recently found out that the game moved to become a market place of gameplay, instead of offering gameplay no matter if you bring in gold to the group setup process.

There are tanks offering to tank heroics for gold. There are raiding guilds that offer gold runs for whatever-skilled players.

All of that cant be really the idea of playing a game. Shouldnt it be about just playing it, without the need to hire people to actually play a role you would need to have fun in a game like world of warcraft?

I think this is a highly toxic development. Gold should not be a means of playing content. And raiding guilds should just not be allowed to sell runs for people who do not actually play the game at all anymore.

What is your opinion about that?

You dont NEED to hire any one to play the game. Also this has been going on for YEARS

you dont NEED it any way you can do it normally but renting tank for example speeds up ques to save time and thus is an option but it is in no way needed. its a personal choice

10+ Year Old Account
    Given the way tanks get treated these days, they are lucky we don't charge DOUBLE for randoms.

The heroic tanking isn't about people paying to bypass playing, it's about bypassing wait time. Either you wait 30 minutes to get into a heroic, or you pay a tank little and get in ASAP. No real harm.

On one hand, the raid/CM selling feels kind of shady, but only in regards to those buying it, not selling. For those selling, however, I think they've earned that right being being good/geared enough to be able to do the content with a handicap.

Quote Originally Posted by -Superman- View Post
    Given the way tanks get treated these days, they are lucky we don't charge DOUBLE for randoms.
    As someone whos played every roll in the game at high end levels, 100% agree. I main tank, and use to OS healing/dps. And I've never experienced being treated as badly as I do as a tank, as a DPS or a healer. Its just, freaking insane...

People have been paying for runs and tanks since I've started playing TBC. It's not a new concept in WoW.
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

10+ Year Old Account
    My opinion is that your stance is a ludicrous one, which is predicated upon an opinion that gold as a medium of exchange should not be allowed for certain allowable, in game transactions because you dislike them. You give no valid or good reasons for this stance.

Thus, my opinion is that your stance is an asinine one to take, which any rational person would not hold.

10+ Year Old Account
    Buying a carry in WoW doesn't really have the same negatives as it would in a different game. If I bought a cm gold carry no one is affected by this other than someone unable to yet complete it without paying or someone who has it wanting it to be exclusive. It would be different if it was getting a mmr carry like in League of Legends - after the carry I would be underperforming at that elevated skill level and negatively impacting my team. I guess a wow arena carry would be like that but that's different then a cm carry or mythic carry

I have tanked on many charactesr on the way to 100 and at 100 and I've never been treated poorly. What? If anything, healers get some unearned blame.

These types of transactions have always existed in the game though

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alcsaar View Post
    I have tanked on many charactesr on the way to 100 and at 100 and I've never been treated poorly. What? If anything, healers get some unearned blame.
    you obviously don't do a whole lot of tanking then.

i tanked one on my paladin and got kicked for healer refusing to be in resto specc and not elemental so some people died.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    I bought a SoO normal boost last December (100k) so I could get my Kor'kron wolf, even though I killed Garry myself on 25 man many months later and a few times on 10 normal after that I don't regret it, it's nice to have things secure for the expansion.
    Did the same with challenge modes (80k) too and don't regret that. It's nice to show off that I don't have to be skilled to see end game content and have end game items. I just need to have a lot of gold.

And despite it all I still play 2-12 hours a day, I just lack the skill to get the best stuff, which I think sucks, which is why I'm fine with this newly evolving culture, no idea who'd be stupid enough to pay someone to tank heroics though, that's just a queue, must be semi rich casuals who play like an hour a week.
    Last edited by Aeula; 2014-12-26 at 01:40 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Also I'd like to point out that I sold a lot of CM Golds in MoP and honestly the people who bought them were really skilled in their own right, they just never had the opportunity to run them with a decent group. I felt bad for taking their gold sometimes, but they were really thankful for our help.

I've seen way more rude, impatient jerk tanks than anything so far in this xpac. Standard rule, don't be a jerk and people (hopefully) won't be jerks back to you. /shrug

On topic: I don't think paying for carries and such is a 'toxic development'. Time is a precious commodity. People may not have the time to organize things like Challenge Mode attempts--and when Blizzard decides to remove that content? People are gonna pay to get them before they're gone. If folks have the gold, and folks want to carry others for gold, good for them. I find a surprising amount of people barely have 5k to pay for flying or garrison upgrades still, so it's not like everyone ever is paying for this stuff.

I'm intrigued by the idea of allowing groups with no tank to do dungeons, I do wonder how and if they'll manage to pull that off without people screeching about how dumbed down it would likely have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Dekay View Post
    you obviously don't do a whole lot of tanking then.
    What he's trying to say is he never makes mistakes so therefore gets no abuse. Blame the healers!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rym View Post
    I recently found out that the game moved to become a market place of gameplay, instead of offering gameplay no matter if you bring in gold to the group setup process.

c)There are tanks offering to tank heroics for gold.

a)I think this is a highly toxic development. b)Gold should not be a means of playing content.
    To a: That's your opinion and you neglected to give a very good reason beyond 'I say so', that's the economy in motion. It doesn't affect me at all, I don't spend gold to achieve and typically get there faster than those that do, guilds desperate enough to sell runs this early usually aren't in Mythic or are taking only the most ludicrously high bidders. And later when we're all done (at least those that made some semblance of attempt/effort) the runs come faster and cheaper, but are largely irrelevant to everyone who cares about raiding or CM runs.

Secondly, gold has ALWAYS been a means of playing content, heck I saw Molten core runs being sold left and right to the highest bidder back in the day.

And lastly to that c up there, that has also always been a thing. Either you are not in trade chat often enough to compare or your memory is seriously effed. BC was rife with paladin tanks who swore they knew what they were doing, taking gold from people to run them through the attunements and such.

This is old news to anyone with a finger on the pulse of happenings around their server.

To some people, earning gold in WoW is how they play the game, and that is entirely valid and up to them. I've no right to say otherwise.
    The few 'buyers' I've ever run through content have actually been surprisingly competent and cheerful folk.
    I have eaten all the popcorn, I left none for anyone else.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alcsaar View Post
    Must be nice. I'm not saying it happens EVERY time, but at least 1 or 2 of every 10 pugs ends up with some fucktard asshat DPS yelling about the slow pace, or the location of the pull. I tell them all the same thing, "Wanna set the pace? Roll a tank. Until then I will tank as I please." They usually call me everything but white and then drop group. I don't give a fuck. They are now in another 30-70 min queue and I am still moving at the same pace.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by zaijok View Post
    i tanked one on my paladin and got kicked for healer refusing to be in resto specc and not elemental so some people died.
    Happens a lot. Again, someone who wants to DPS to get DPS gear, but queues as a healer. Now, with loot specialization, it will happen less and less.

Quote Originally Posted by rym View Post

There are tanks offering to tank heroics for gold. There are raiding guilds that offer gold runs for whatever-skilled players.

All of that cant be really the idea of playing a game. Shouldnt it be about just playing it, without the need to hire people to actually play a role you would need to have fun in a game like world of warcraft?

I think this is a highly toxic development. Gold should not be a means of playing content. And raiding guilds should just not be allowed to sell runs for people who do not actually play the game at all anymore.

What is your opinion about that?
    Are you new to WoW? I have been selling Tank services since TBC and People have been selling raid spots for gear/achives for a long time as well.
    READ and be less Ignorant.