Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Davillage View Post
    http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank...st-gun-deaths/

You are more likely to kill yourself with it.
    Definitely more likely if you're trying to.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    So this ad starts with a kid stealing a gun and bringing it in to school, leading the audience to think that this is leading up to some kind of horrific school massacre. Then the twist is that the kid brought it in because the gun made him feel unsafe. I thought it was pretty obvious that's the point of the ad.

You'd honestly have to be pretty stupid to interpret that as "hey kids steal your parent's guns and bring them to school".
    There are a million other ways to show a kid feeling uncomfortable with a home in his gun other than HAVING THE KID BRING THE GUN TO SCHOOL. Very poorly written/shot commercial if that's what they were trying to say.

Quote Originally Posted by devla View Post
    Or when another chimp feels like starting to shoot random people near your house to take revenge.
    Or when one breaks into your house.
    Chimps? Revenge?

Is this planet of the apes, or are you mental?

10+ Year Old Account
    Sounds more like the commercial is trying to say "secure your guns, or this could happen" and fails miserably, rather than trying to tell kids to take a gun to school.
    Putin khuliyo

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't feel safe with a gun in my house? That's pretty odd thing to say. A gun in your house isn't going to threaten you on it's own, especially if it's locked away. Should someone break in, it's quite likely he has a weapon of his own to threaten you with. Even if you have a more... unstable family member living with you, the gun isn't going to be the problem. He could just as well as knife you in the back, should he/she be that crazy.

Now, I don't agree with having guns in the first place if it's not for hunting/competitions but should there be one, it shouldn't be feared.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wow... this is terrible. I'm not for guns but come on.. this is just stupid.

I'm staying away from this thread, I sense an incoming shit storm lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Davillage View Post
    .draeh reve ev'I tnemetats sdrawkcab ssa tsom eht tuoba si siht dnA

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank...st-gun-deaths/

You are more likely to kill yourself with it.
    More likely then what?
    Also this was posted in the gun control thread the other day.

Commercial calls for children to steal their parents guns and take them to school*

*it obviously doesn't

just when i thought humanity couldn't get any more stupid, it finds a new level. >.>

seriously LOL lets tell our kids to steal guns walk into school illegally with one, *risking accidentally firing other kids* and then slam it on a desk loaded *could discharge a bullet*
    *cause i am afraid the gun might shoot me!*

but go figure it's California the Land of the Crazy.

*more than likely without proper training but some kids do get it, but then i was in BOY SCOUTS so then i learned it is tool and can be fun but it is to be treated with LOTS OF CARE like any other dangerous tool* AKA NOT A TOY!

10+ Year Old Account
    Whoever made this commercial really should have thought before making it. So the kid goes into his parents room, goes into their personal property and grabs a gun, very carelessly. Illegally takes it into a school and slams into onto the desk of a teacher. Here, once the kid gave the gun to the teacher he would have immediatly been nabbed by school security and then after investigation, no matter what the circumstances or his intentions, he would have been expelled from school and all the schools in the district and his parents would have had to provide transportation to another district god knows how far away. So yeah kids, go grab mom and dads stuff which you have no right touching and see where your good intentions get you...screwed. Really really bad commercial.

Deleted
    I get their point, if parents are keeping guns in easy access of children there is a serious issue and it does need to be addressed.

But if kids take guns to school they can face a lot of punishment for it - including in most cases I would imagine being expelled from that school. Children don't necessarily understand consequences or nuances / subtext and this advert is taking serious advantage of that. I don't think any adult would see that and think "omg I've got to take this loaded gun into school", and I don't think the advert is as bad as the headlines are making out (it doesn't directly tell anyone to take a gun into school) - but it definitely could be influential /misleading to a kid watching it, and it doesn't show the actual realistic consequences that the child is going to face.

Definitely a very bad commercial.

I think the point of the video is to show that: if your kid can easily steal your firearm then you aren't a responsible firearm-owner, and you really shouldn't have one.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

10+ Year Old Account
    "Stop Gun Violence" by bringing a gun to school..... Ass backwards bay area culture. If you want children to be safer around guns tell them and their parents to talk with each other about it. Not tell their kids to bring a fucking loaded gun to school that could go off in the backpack and kill someone.

The reason these idiots don't feel safe around guns is because they have no idea how to handle them and are a danger to everyone around them. When I was growing up we were taught "If you see a gun don't touch it. Tell an adult." Do you know what I did? NOT TOUCH THE FREAKING GUNS IN MY HOUSE!

Quote Originally Posted by Netherspark View Post
    Chimps? Revenge?

Is this planet of the apes, or are you mental?
    He might be. Probably more racist than mental, though.

Not sure what's the purpose of this. I don't think their parents have guns illegally, so even a confiscated gun would just be given back to the rightful owner and the kid will get a spanking.

I never even knew my parents kept a gun in their nightstand, until I was much older. Why?

They told me to 'STAY OUT OF MY NIGHTSTAND' and kept their door shut. I was also raised to respect guns. Por ejemplo, at the age of about 13 my stepdad demonstrated the effects of a 9mm bullet making contact with a watermelon. Then I was shown how much bigger bullets can get...

Anyways, this 'ad' is stupid.

Deleted
    Another gun thread, another thread that will be filled with people who believe that murderous bands of thieves are going to come into their house and kill their family because they don't have a loaded weapon under their pillow.

Another thread where other people are going to try and explain them that this isn't the case and that having lots and lots of guns lying around is going to cause more gun violence and gun related accidents.

Another thread where some idiot is going to claim that guns have the same usefullnes as cars and knives.

Another thread that is going to prove some stereotypes.

Quote Originally Posted by F4ulty View Post
    I never even knew my parents kept a gun in their nightstand, until I was much older. Why?

They told me to 'STAY OUT OF MY NIGHTSTAND' and kept their door shut. I was also raised to respect guns. Por ejemplo, at the age of about 13 my stepdad demonstrated the effects of a 9mm bullet making contact with a watermelon. Then I was shown how much bigger bullets can get...

Anyways, this 'ad' is stupid.
    Not sure about gun crime statistics in the US, but which of these is more likely to occur:

1) Someone breaks into your home to commit a robbery and you successfully defend yourself using the firearm.

2) Someone breaks into your home to commit a robbery and you fail to defend yourself correctly using the firearm, potentially turning a none lethal situation into a murder scene.

3) A loaded firearm is kept in your home, domestic violence occurs, and one family member murders their own family with said firearm.

4) A loaded firearm is kept in your home, their is some sort of accident involving the firearm and a member of the family is killed or injured.

I would have thought that domestic violence is far more common than burglary, and that armed burglary is pretty rare.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lyllian View Post
    Not sure about gun crime statistics in the US, but which of these is more likely to occur:

1) Someone breaks into your home to commit a robbery and you successfully defend yourself using the firearm.

2) Someone breaks into your home to commit a robbery and you fail to defend yourself correctly using the firearm, potentially turning a none lethal situation into a murder scene.

3) A loaded firearm is kept in your home, domestic violence occurs, and one family member murders their own family with said firearm.

4) A loaded firearm is kept in your home, their is some sort of accident involving the firearm and a member of the family is killed or injured.

I would have thought that domestic violence is far more common than burglary, and that armed burglary is pretty rare.
    I often get the feeling that its not about self defence, but more about vengeance. And watching to much hollywood and foxnews.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lyllian View Post

3 or 4.. Probably 4.

I don't know gun laws in the US, but in Denmark any guns needs to be stored in a locked safe securely fastened to the wall/floor, unloaded while in storage, and stored away from ammo (Ammo can be stored in the same safe IF it's behind another lock that uses another key/combination).

Not to mention all the permits you need to not only own but also store a gun in your house.