Frost mage opener dps pve

Hey mages, im wondering how big your burst opener in the start of a fight is? On a single target fight like megaera i do about 180k dps in ilvl 508.it seems somehow week compared to what other classes do. (Without pot)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by PPN View Post
    Hey mages, im wondering how big your burst opener in the start of a fight is? On a single target fight like megaera i do about 180k dps in ilvl 508.it seems somehow week compared to what other classes do. (Without pot)
    Its heavily related to gear.

Tell us how you do your opener, maybe well see something we can improve !

Ok so it looks like this:

1. Evocation pre-pull
    2. Frostbolt
    3. Mirror Images
    4. Frostbolt
    5. Frost Bomb
    6. Frozen Orb
    7. Frost Bolt
    (by now i have frostfirebolt proc, and 2 FoF and random procs from gear, enchs...)
    8. PoM+Icy Veins+ Alter Time
    9. FoF-FoF-Frostfire Bolt-Frostbolt (maybe in between again FoF if i get a proc)
    10. AT + again Nr.9
    11. Normal rotation, opener is over

Deleted
    - Mirror Image should be cast Pre-Pull to maximize your DPS because it uses a global cooldown and you need every you can while bursting.
    - Then Pre-Pot (optional), Pre-Cast a Frosbolt and hit NT when your FB cast finished.

- Then cast 2 frosbolt for stacks
    - AT should be used when all your procs are up and have more than 6 seconds remaining (trinkets, enchants, w/e), to my knowledge it is more important than having 2FoF/1BF proc, because you'll have to throw Frozen just before this to generate FoF procs anyway, thus resulting in a higher uptime of the the time where your damage will be the best (beggining of a fight, because everything procs together)

- Again, to my knowledge, PoM sucks for frost, I use Icy flows myself on almost every fight, some people use the sprint on certain fights too (cant remember the name).
    - You should prioritize BF procs over FoF procs, the reason behind this is before while your BF procs is on, every second you don't use it another one could proc again and be wasted. This won't happen with FoF because there's two charge.
    The only time when I don't do this is Frost Orb, because there's a good chance you'll get another FoF proc so I'll prioritize FoF over BF, but i'm still not sure about that, i'm doing some testing atm (i guess the difference is minimal).

NT uptime is crucial. Moreso now that is has been buffed

Thats what I could gather on my journey as a frost mage, hope this helps

Eihwaz explained it perfectly. Same thing as I do. I also use icy flows, because frost sometimes sucks when it comes to moving and you don't have any procs up. You should pre-pot by any means. Pots cost like nothing and it is a HUGE DPS boost especially in combination with all the trinkets proccing in the beginning and on some fights even with heroism/bloodlust.

I highly doubt you do 180k on megaera otherwise you would be the top ranked frost mage on that fight. :P If you are doing 108k with 508ilvl and you're not prepotting or potting during hero, you dps seems about right. You don't compare your dps to other classes/specs, you compare your dps to others playing the same spec.
    Last edited by qyietstorm; 2013-04-13 at 08:42 PM. Reason: grammar

Thx for the advices, i really appreciate the effort you put dont to help me And the 180k dps is just the amount of dps i reach when my opener is over. I dont remember my dps in end.

Deleted
    Just to clarify something; you DON'T want to use your BF proc if you have 2 x FoF charges. The BF proc can create a FoF charge and thus, you wanna make sure you get that FoF charge and it doesn't munch.

Deleted
    i just did some tries on megaera and i'm 506 ilvl, and i can burst over 210k+ if i get fast BF + FoFx2, but i guess 190k or so is my avg burst, for the tries i got horrible luck with procs, and btw, am i the only one having problems with frozen orb on that boss? it tends to fly behind me instead of towards the boss and missing it completly even if im facing the boss

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jitzu View Post
    i just did some tries on megaera and i'm 506 ilvl, and i can burst over 210k+ if i get fast BF + FoFx2, but i guess 190k or so is my avg burst, for the tries i got horrible luck with procs, and btw, am i the only one having problems with frozen orb on that boss? it tends to fly behind me instead of towards the boss and missing it completly even if im facing the boss
    happens to me too if i'm too far away from the boss, so most of the time I use it almost in melee range and it works.

Tonight it happened on my opener, screwed up everything.. Mad rage

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Eihwaz

- Again, to my knowledge, PoM sucks for frost, I use Icy flows myself on almost every fight, some people use the sprint on certain fights too (cant remember the name)
    Blazing Speed, best talent ever.

Quote Originally Posted by qyietstorm View Post
    I highly doubt you do 180k on megaera otherwise you would be the top ranked frost mage on that fight. :P If you are doing 108k with 508ilvl and you're not prepotting or potting during hero, you dps seems about right. You don't compare your dps to other classes/specs, you compare your dps to others playing the same spec.
    opening BURST, i know my 519 mage my opener for our kill this week was around 280k....

Prepot
    Pre-cast FB
    NT
    FB x2
    Orb,
    FB/IL till i feel i got enough procs going (int procs that is)
    Pop any other CDs i have (springs/IV)
    AT
    Then i use NT > ILx2 > FFB > ILx1 > FB

Quote Originally Posted by alucardtnuoc View Post
    opening BURST, i know my 519 mage my opener for our kill this week was around 280k....

Prepot
    Pre-cast FB
    NT
    FB x2
    Orb,
    FB/IL till i feel i got enough procs going (int procs that is)
    Pop any other CDs i have (springs/IV)
    AT
    Then i use NT > ILx2 > FFB > ILx1 > FB
    Yesetrday we had few tries on Durumu. My opener is still around 180k I tried to do exactly what you are doing. Nothing changed. If i do well over the whole fight i end up at like 100k dps. I dont know how the overall dps is for a frost mage with a ilvl of 510. Within the guild im in the same level as a rogue/warr/lock who have ilvl between 508-515.
    In many fights its like this..after the opener im last and in the end of the fight im betwenn place 1-3.

The 3 int procs i have atm is lightweave, jade spirit and inner brilliance
    Last edited by PPN; 2013-04-16 at 10:31 AM.

Big opener burst pretty much requires you to have trinkets that give a stupid amount of int, such as Hydra and Cha'Ya and manage to get everything lined up in AT with BF+2FF procs and roll a few NT's with that absurd spellpower boost up. When all stars align i get similar bursts as alucardtnuoc above in 518 ilvl (no set bonuses) with those 2 trinkets.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PPN View Post
    Yesetrday we had few tries on Durumu. My opener is still around 180k I tried to do exactly what you are doing. Nothing changed. If i do well over the whole fight i end up at like 100k dps. I dont know how the overall dps is for a frost mage with a ilvl of 510. Within the guild im in the same level as a rogue/warr/lock who have ilvl between 508-515.
    In many fights its like this..after the opener im last and in the end of the fight im betwenn place 1-3.

The 3 int procs i have atm is lightweave, jade spirit and inner brilliance
    Keep in mind that Durumu is very unforgiving for frost mages. If things line up right you will have frost orb for maze phase and be able to do decent dps on the move, along with ice floes. If you mismanage your CD's and end up in that phase without frost orb you are pretty much just spamming regular, shit-tier damage, ice lances.
    This will take a toll on your overall dps.
    Also, comparing yourself to rogues/warrs/locks isn't a good comparison. They all have strong openers and very good sustained damage afterwards with little fall off where as frost is very bursty with CDs up(albeit not very long gaps between those burst cycles) and just decent without.

Quote Originally Posted by Lohe View Post
    If you're semi-hardcore or semi-casual what's the other half? To me, they're both the same thing.
    Canicus - 577 - Arcane Mage - US Mal'Ganis Horde - 12/14H T16

Deleted
    I have Wushoolay's, so I generally try and hold off AT until I'm deep into that proc (no more than 8 sec uptime left) to double up my insane spell power at that time. Pop springs and then hit AT. For the last ticks of Wushoolay's I'm considerably over 50k SP with springs and pot, and I get to double that with AT.

I did over 200k for the entirety of the first head on Mag today, and probably didn't drop below 200k for the fight until 50% of the second head. Initial burst was probably 240k or so - ended up around 125k for the whole fight. I'm 510, and I'd expect that combo of Wushoolay's + Synapse Springs is as high as you can push burst at that ilvl.

Does anyone use an opener macro?

Quote Originally Posted by -KT- View Post
    Does anyone use an opener macro?
    seriously?last post was 2013-04-16

Does that mean I can't ask a question?

I was just casually reading this thread, without realizing the timestamp, and I could not for the life of me figure out what NT was.