Thread: 5-Player Co-op

5-Player Co-op

My core group of friends who play games is pretty small - 5 people (including me) - and is coincidentally a perfect number because in WoW, we cann all run group zones together. We can all dungeon together, all BG and 5s together and so on. And it's not just WoW, but also many other games were we can all simultaneously play together.

Now, you can already tell where I'm going with this in relation to Diablo - one of us won't be able to play. Now, asking for a 5 man mode looks selfish on my part because obviously I have a stake in this, but consider these two things: 1, since Blizzard treats Diablo as a companion and filler series for WoW, wouldn't it make sense if small guild groups from there can come over to Blizzard's alternative RPG and play together? And 2ndly, with the addition of the Crusader in RoS, we can now have 5 players with unique roles that don't overlap atm. Lol; either I forgot that Monks were a thing or I utterly, absolutely cannot count.

Now, an arguement could be made that since the more players in a group you have, the less effective the individual feels, the less fun you have. That's what's the scaling system is for; to compensate for more players in a game.

5 is also becoming more or less the standard in multiplayer games as a reasonable cap for small groups.

Deleted
    SWTOR has 4-man groups. Unepic is capped at 4 people. Majicka is 4-player. I'm certain I could go on (Castle crashers, Borderlands), but there'd be little point.

Have you tried Diablo 3 yet? Don't you think it would be good to have a game you can play when one of your team isn't available?

Where have you read that 5 is the standard in multiplayer? What do you use to back up this claim?

companion and filler series? how do you people come up with this shit?

4 player is the cap, they ain't gonna change it just for you and your buddies. sit 1 person out or get more guys and go with 2 groups? i'm sure you can figure it out.

Deleted
    There's no need to be uncivil here. It's a reasonable request. The question is, why not 6? What if I had 5 buddies (I wish ) then Blizz should make it possible to have 6 players in Diablo 3.

Instead without backing up a claim the OP states that "it is becoming standard in small group multiplayer to have 5-players" where I can name a number of highly popular games that are 4-player only.

There is an advantage to "holy-trinity" type games of padding out the group size, since you usually get disproportionate player base playing dps, heal and tank, largely favouring the dps classes. Increasing the group size, but keeping the requirement for tank and healer to 1 each per group, makes building groups easier.

However, in Diablo 3, there is no healing role, and the tanking role is (mostly) optional. So any 4 people can just jump together and play. Only at higher levels do you need to coordinate what each player plays, and that often means some people will have to be on the sidelines.

I kinda wish it was 5 man also.

Deleted
    I kinda wish diablo 3 had optimized multicore engine so we could run 8 players and not this 4 player lagfest.

imo it would be 7 player capped :P

when 4 frends are playing and the 5th comes online you can let him play solo or split 3/2 eather way some one is not in an optimal party same when the 6th and 7th´s frend comes online.

when freind number 8 comes problem is solved 2 x 4 player games.

just let exp/loot rewards cap at 4 so it wont matter if your 4 5 6 or 7 in the pary tyou get the same as if you were 4.