Page 1 of 28
... LastLast

Lazy millenials can't fix anything

So, I read this article today and it made me think a bit, generally speaking does the younger generation know how to fix simple things? https://www.yahoo.com/diy/young-peop...523138575.html

Growing up, if something went wrong with my car I could figure it out and fix it, even if it meant tinkering and researching on the fly, my first car was a 1985 honda accord LX, and I was always having to work on it. The first time I changed a radiator, I did it on the fly, no books or consultations, just common sense.

Disconnect hoses....check
    disconnect wiring harnesses...check
    remove mounting hardware...check

This mindset helped me alot as a military helicopter mechanic. Of course we used manuals during the task, but the simple stuff didn't require a ton of thought. However as time progressed and younger and younger troops joined, less and less seemed gifted with critical thinking skills.

Is this a trend that anyone else notices? Does it seem like the new generation either just doesn't care, or is unable to tinker and fix things on there own without someone holding their hand?

Does anyone else here on MMOC-OT Tinker and fix their own mechanical and electronic devices?

10+ Year Old Account
    I can fix that computer virus on my grandfather's computer. I can set up his smartphone.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

10+ Year Old Account
    I can make my VCR stop blinking 12' o clock..12 o'clock...12 o'clock....with a piece of electrical tape.

10+ Year Old Account
    Also, I don't do my own maintenance on my vehicles anymore, but I did when I was a teenager. It was an '86 Mitsubishi Cordia-L, and while I owned it, I replaced the sparkplugs, the break shoes, the alternator (which, to get to, I had to remove the power steering oil pump), the battery, the battery terminals, and the headlights. I did all this as you said, figuring it out as I went along. Youtube didn't yet exist.

I think you're being suckered into the idea of societal decline, which is as much nonsense now as it ever was.

Last edited by Reeve; 2014-12-29 at 11:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    I can fix that computer virus on my grandfather's computer. I can set up his smartphone.
    I guess im talking about more indepth stuff.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    I guess im talking about more indepth stuff.
    That is in depth for his generation. Or does this generational decline thing only go one way?

things are far more complex now and are built to be replaced not fixed

i'm pretty sure most people of her generation didn't know how to repair shit so this is another "KIDS THESE DAYS" rant

also where is this "things never break" bullshit? our fucking oven breaks every few months. our routers constantly die. shit breaks all the time and oven parts for example are designed to be replaced not fixed

there's no facts in this it's just opinions.
    Last edited by Resies; 2014-12-29 at 11:06 PM.

Deleted
    I can do basic electrical repairs as well as basic plumbing, the one thing I do not fuck with is gas as I do not want to blow the house up for a minor mistake.

My car right now is a 2013 Golf. I wouldn't want to begin messing with the engine if I had to fix it, I could work on some of the electronics but thats because I know a lot of electrical shit and circuits (Because thats what I went to college for).

When I was growing up I learned basic home repair and construction from my dad. If needed I can do basic framing/plumbing. I also can do most a lot of electrical jobs. I took welding classes in high school as well.

I think its just bad parents, everyone in my family knows that you had to know some sort of basic trade at least enough to figure out when stuff was broken.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    I can do basic electrical repairs as well as basic plumbing, the one thing I do not fuck with is gas as I do not want to blow the house up for a minor mistake.
    Yeah, I can run a cable, wire up an electrical switch/socket like a champ. I can do basic plumbing stuff too. I can take down and replace drywall, though I prefer to avoid that. I won't touch gas and I won't touch the electric fuse box. I can build wood framed walls with electricals.

Deleted
    Oh look, a thread where an old guy tries to feel superior over younger people. Cute.

10+ Year Old Account
    I can change the basic stuff for a truck (tires, liquids, ect...), although tires requires an additional person as I'm not exactly the strongest gal in the world. Thats really about it.

Milennials would be great at car and home repair if any of them could afford a fuckin' car or home. As it stands, Milennials can afford cheap pieces of tech and they're trying as hard as they can to wring value out of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Schmeebs View Post
    I think its just bad parents, everyone in my family knows that you had to know some sort of basic trade at least enough to figure out when stuff was broken.
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    Older generations were allot more handy.
    what are you basing this on?

10+ Year Old Account
    To be honest this thread is why I laugh when people suggest everyone go into Trades. It's not just Millenials, but Gen X, and even Boomers who simply do not possess the Mechanical Ability or the desire to get their hands dirty that make them poor choices for Tradesmen. It's also a matter of expertise - I could remodel your bathroom or replace all the plumbing in your house, but if you ask me to run wires for a dishwasher I'd give you the number of an electrician.

Deleted
    Older generations were allot more handy.
    Handy with what? Millenials are way more handy with computers, and you were more handy with cars, or whatever.

Still, it differs from folks to folks, I'm not sure if you'd count me as a millenial (born '94) but I'm kinda handy with computers, though I'm not so handy as to know precisely what graphic cards are the best or how to hack phones and shit, I am quite handy with lumbering and such, and somewhat handy with cars.
    Last edited by mmoc96b28150b7; 2014-12-29 at 11:11 PM.

Every generation believes the next generation is lazier than the previous one.

All that is true about this generation of young kids is that they feel more entitled.
    MY X/Y POKEMON FRIEND CODE: 1418-7279-9541 In Game Name: Michael__

Quote Originally Posted by Interception View Post
    To be honest this thread is why I laugh when people suggest everyone go into Trades. It's not just Millenials, but Gen X, and even Boomers who simply do not possess the Mechanical Ability or the desire to get their hands dirty that make them poor choices for Tradesmen. It's also a matter of expertise - I could remodel your bathroom or replace all the plumbing in your house, but if you ask me to run wires for a dishwasher I'd give you the number of an electrician.
    hahaha you don't know how to wire something? wow you lazy person

From my exposure to those my own age (late 20's) and younger, this is quite true. People simply don't know that they're being sold absolute junk from the big box stores these days. I had a broom from Target break on its first use. A broom. I was using it to sweep some dust, not attack an orc.

The very interesting thing to me is that this source you provided OP quotes a professor from England, where this has historically been the case (people not fixing their own broken items). I've taken part in a student exchange program that sent me to the UK in the early 2000s, and have some family in England and Scotland as well - when their junky little European vehicles break down, they take it in and get charged boatloads for the simplest repairs - things like needing a new battery, or replacing a spark plug.

They still have "guilds" of sorts over there and the way the UK's economy is set up is in support of spending your money on these "master tradesmen" services instead of buying the parts and tools, and doing the job yourself.

All that being said, I'm glad the professor is pointing this out.

TL;DR - Yeah it's extremely true. It's sort of funny the source of the discussion is an English professor, because UK society downplays fixing one's own things and is set up to push you to go get any minor little issue fixed, thus taking more of your money.

As it always been. As years pass, shit gets easier. Less work involved.
    yeah you're right, modern jet planes are a lot simpler than older planes, shit gets simpler

Quote Originally Posted by Kindahuge View Post

TL;DR - Yeah it's extremely true. It's sort of funny the source of the discussion is an English professor, because UK society downplays fixing one's own things and is set up to push you to go get any minor little issue fixed, thus taking more of your money.
    literally nobody cares about your useless anecdotes