Page 11 of 81 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    I drive 100 miles to work every day too and I dont get tips. In fact most people who work have to drive and spend gas to work

- - - Updated - - -

Ive asked this question thousands of times and never got a satisfactory answer. It doesnt matter if I order 2 hot dogs or a filet mignon. The same amount of work is performed for me.

- - - Updated - - -

Ive asked this question thousands of times and never got a satisfactory answer. It doesnt matter if I order 2 hot dogs or a filet mignon. The same amount of work is performed for me.

- - - Updated - - -

And the real question is WHY are they paid a lower wage and expected to make it up with tips

- - - Updated - - -

No, and I never eat at the same one twice
    You didn't read my post fully, I gave the explanation.

Tipping is part of American culture to the point they make a special wage and are expected to make up the rest with tips.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    I don't tip pizza delivery guys because they make you pay a delivery fee.
    The delivery fee usually doesn't go to the delivery person delivering your food.

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post

The delivery fee usually doesn't go to the delivery person delivering your food.
    Doesn't it mostly go to insurance for employing someone to be on the road?

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

10+ Year Old Account
    Then they shouldn't charge you a delivery fee. Pay the company for delivering it and the driver? Yeah, no.
    Then don't order delivery?

Then they shouldn't charge you a delivery fee. Pay the company for delivering it and the driver? Yeah, no.
    So you shaft the person delivering your food because you don't want to pay a delivery fee? Then don't order pizza...

A lot of stores offer cheaper pizza and make it up in the fee, your driver meanwhile gets shafted by people who don't understand this part. It's even worse when they do understand it and say "well fuck you guy giving me my food."

This comes to mind again:
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    There's always going to be a visceral disconnect on these sorts of things between the narcissists and the people with pro-social tendencies. They simply can't understand each other.
    Trying to convince narcissists that they're behaving badly is generally pretty fruitless.
    Last edited by Spectral; 2015-01-03 at 04:35 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nope. I will. And as long as they make me pay a delivery fee, I won't be paying their driver.
    Don't order from the same place twice then.

Nope. I will. And as long as they make me pay a delivery fee, I won't be paying their driver.
    Life Rule #1: Don't fuck around with the people who touch your food.

Yep.

You can not like it.
    You may find people breaking the law if you continue to go about ordering and refusing to tip.

I don't understand the concept of flat % rate tips. If a person is doing a great job don't they deserve a better tip than those doing an abysmal one. Speaking purely about restaurants as I don't order food on delivery.

Deleted
    The strange thing is... no one likes the current "system" (Well, no one in this thread anyway.), yet it is still in place. : \

Yep.

You can not like it.
    well just as long as you acknoweldge your being a jackass

Quote Originally Posted by Wanko View Post
    The strange thing is... no one likes the current "system" (Well, no one in this thread anyway.), yet it is still in place. : \
    It fits into the category of "good enough". It's not a great system, but replacing it is probably more costly in terms of the social capital needed than it's worth. Think of it like any other kludgy, but functional, system. Sometimes, it's easier to keep the reasonably effective thing you have to than to work hard to replace it with something marginally better.

I have, but I maybe eat delivery pizza like once every 2 months. I doubt any drivers would fuck with my pizza. And also, the people on the military base are most of their customers and if they recieved complaints that their drivers were messing with customers pizza it would probably ruin them.
    What makes you think all the other military people are rude people who refuse to tip?

Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    Life Rule #1: Don't fuck around with the people who touch your food.
    The exact consequences probably vary a lot from place to place, but honestly, it seems like the most common thing is just that you get shunted to the bottom of the priority list. Most people aren't spiteful enough to really do much, but they're not going to go out of their way for you either.

Quote Originally Posted by Wanko View Post
    I have several friends that like the tipping system as they make well above what most places offer around here, where I live. Anecdotal evidence I know, but I wouldn't be surprised if the national average of waiters wages were higher compared to other low skill jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Nilil View Post
    I have several friends that like the tipping system as they make well above what most places offer around here, where I live. Anecdotal evidence I know, but I wouldn't be surprised if the national average of waiters wages were higher compared to other low skill jobs.
    Yeah, there are certainly some bartenders that are enthusiastic about it. There's not a lot of other ways that a college kid can make a few hundred bucks in a good night.

I don't think it's rude. I'm not paying twice to delivery my food.
    It's accurate to say "I'm refusing to pay the person delivering my food because the store is offering cheap pizza and making it up in delivery fees that don't go to the actual people delivering my food"

The exact consequences probably vary a lot from place to place, but honestly, it seems like the most common thing is just that you get shunted to the bottom of the priority list. Most people aren't spiteful enough to really do much, but they're not going to go out of their way for you either.
    I've personally never tampered with someone's food. But I certainly have given shitty service to people who routinely didn't tip me.

Yeah, there are certainly some bartenders that are enthusiastic about it. There's not a lot of other ways that a college kid can make a few hundred bucks in a good night.
    I had to cover for a bartender on NYE. $371 before tax. Not bad for about 6 hours work, a lot more than a usual night though.

I never order delivery, in sweden u pay so much extra for delivery and generally u don't tip fast food here, if I eat at a restaurant I tip 0% if it was awful service, 10% generally and 15% if it was very good service, don't know any of my peers that tip at all.