Page 1 of 46
... LastLast
    Deleted

Country with the richest history

What do you think is the country with the richest history?

Personally, I like Japan. The Shogunates, who were the military rulers Japan, and the Samurai, and the imperial setup. Very interesting.

Usa, usa, usa!
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

Greece hands down.

All and none really, every country has a rich history if your willing to look.

America, hands down. We're richer than anybody.

10+ Year Old Account
    England. Thousands of years of history, a rich tapestry of history from the neolitic to today. I have to admit i am really biased though.
    Stormrage 4 lyfe

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm going with Italy. The Roman Empire gave over a thousand years of well documented and fascinating history, then the Catholic Church pulled the strings from Rome for much longer, and of course there was the Italian involvement in WW2.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Definently not america, been around like a couple of hundred years... if america was a human age it would be like 8 years old, no longer a baby but still a long way from being an adult.

I would say the asian countries China or japan or Britian or Greece or Italy.

My guess would be probably Iran or Egypt, along those lines.
    My Gaming Setup | WoW Paladin (retired)

"This is not a dress. This is a sacred robe of the ancient psychedelic monks."

Definitely America. The world's first modern secular democratic republic, rocketing from backwater to superpower in less than 200 years? Sounds pretty chill to me.

American history is so different from European or Asian history. It's an exercise in artificial statecraft, a country put together by immigrants who purposefully moved there.

... American history also makes you hate white people, but, I mean, most of world history will do that.

If you compare the USA to the Roman empire, they're already on the decline after 200 or so years. So no.

OT: I think i'd say Greece too, the last 3000 years have been pretty full for them. Being in Europe helps too. China and Egypt are close behind, as there's quite a few gaps of nothing of consequence(extra-territorial) happening.

EDIT: Rome is full of history yes, but a lot historians (don't consider myself one but i'm on the way ) split the empire after 483, where Byzance(is it the same name in english) becomes the capital and it becomes the Byzantine empire as a whole.

The Countries of western europe share too much history to really separate each one between 1550 and 1800.
    Last edited by Rédempteur; 2012-07-03 at 03:29 PM.

I would have to agree with Xebu there. From Egypt to Iran is the birthplace of civilization. You can't get much richer in history than that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rédempteur View Post
    If you compare the USA to the Roman empire, they're already on the decline after 200 or so years. So no.

OT: I think i'd say Greece too, the last 3000 years have been pretty full for them. Being in Europe helps too. China and Egypt are close behind, as there's quite a few gaps of nothing of consequence(extra-territorial) happening.
    If you compare US history to Roman history, we're not long after the Punic Wars in the timeline, right around the time the Gracchi Bros. came to town, which means we still have like a hundred years before the Republic falls, and then another 500 years or so before Washington D.C. gets sacked by Mexican warlords.

Edit: The reason Rome and Greece and Britain are more interesting historically, I think is that they were simply much better documented. We have a lot more historical information about exactly what happened in those places.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

India (ten char)
    "If you want to control people, if you want to feed them a pack of lies and dominate them, keep them ignorant. For me, literacy means freedom." - LaVar Burton.

So many to choose from. But I'd have to say England, Japan, Italy or Greece.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not to be selfish... but my own country. We've been around for a very, very long time, in various forms, and even during the time of the Tsars, every single new leader brought an entirely new reign, adding to the depth of history. You can walk into a Russian city and see varying points of history resting next to each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    If you compare US history to Roman history, we're not long after the Punic Wars in the timeline, right around the time the Gracchi Bros. came to town, which means we still have like a hundred years before the Republic falls, and then another 500 years or so before Washington D.C. gets sacked by Mexican warlords.
    If history shows, the US will eventually overtake the south, absorbing the Mexican cartels. This event will cause Mexican beliefs to spread through the empire, however, causing divisive views eventually leading to an east west split on how to properly practice the Mexican views. The east will flourish, benefiting from European trade routes and raw supplies from the revived African economy, while the west will deteriorate from corruption and greed, eventualy resulting in the eskimo overlords of Canada to descend and conquer the weakened nation. The East will not fall until the totalitarian dictatorship of Brazil overcomes all of the Western Hemisphere
    Last edited by Kasierith; 2012-07-03 at 03:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post

Edit: The reason Rome and Greece and Britain are more interesting historically, I think is that they were simply much better documented. We have a lot more historical information about exactly what happened in those places.
    I won't comment further on comparison it is way too subjective. But i def agree with your edit. I just like it better too because i love Plato. Still deciding whether to take a master in Greek history or ancient history, so you see where i stand :P.

10+ Year Old Account
    Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Solar System, Earth, European Union, Croatia
    I'd have to go with Austria (Habsburg Monarchy) or Hungary. I thought about my country but then i realised we had only about 550 years of history and a dozen kings before we became a part of Hungary at about 1200 and then together with them a part of the Habsburg Monarchy at about 1500 up until 1918.

Oh, and also, please don't say America. I don't want to sound snide, but you're embarrassing yourself.

If we are talking history it would likely have to be India or China.
    The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities.

The Israel area.
    MY X/Y POKEMON FRIEND CODE: 1418-7279-9541 In Game Name: Michael__