Page 28 of 46 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Herald of the Titans Babylonius's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sethorian View Post
    All right, thanks for the tip. I will try keeping the casting optimized. Just to clear things up, For cleaving should I priority Chiex and FoFs to RSK in CDs, as long as RSK debuff won't expire?
    Yes. When cleaving you only use RSK for debuff.
    Creator of WalkingTheWind.com and PeakOfSerenity.com
    Former Monk Mod of MMOChampion | Admin/Moderator of Monk Discord
    Armory | Logs | Guild | Twitch

Hello to my fellow monks! I'm a newer Brewmaster and I could use some help with my logs. My guild is far from being on most of your levels, but we do what we can. Any help or advice is appreciated.

I can't post links yet, so you will have to add the website. Logs are on warcraftlogs and my character is Azrandis on Argent Dawn US.

H Kormrok: reports/hxYjK7aFRWyrdqwN#fight=8

H Council: reports/hxYjK7aFRWyrdqwN#fight=9

H Gorefiend: reports/hxYjK7aFRWyrdqwN#fight=30

H Iskar: reports/ahWNkq18gG2dxHAp#fight=11

I can post more logs if needed, but these are our most recent kills and I feel the most representative of my play. Thanks in advance for any help and advice you can give.

There is a cool resource you can use to help yoruself, Azrandis. I took the liberty of loading up your report and analyzing the Kormrok- and Gorefiend-fights:

http://www.brewmasterlogs.com/reports/hxYjK7aFRWyrdqwN

I guess you should pay particular attention to resource usage. I notice on Gorefiend that your Shuffle uptime is 47%, that is fairly low. You also seem to spend some time energy capped. I would suggest you find some way of tracking Shuffle/energy if you aren't doing so already and practice on getting it right. You even run serenity, which should make your shuffle uptime higher than if you used Chi Explosion.

You should also put jab in your bars, it's quite an important spell

Thanks for the help, I'll work on my resource management.

Armory: Armory
    Spec: Mistweaver
    Combat Log Parse (WoL/WCL):
    M Reaver
    M Kormrok
    M Council

So basically I feel like I'm not healing as well I should be healing. I know my Life Cocoon usage needs to be waaaay better (I haven't been using it like a bad) and on Council I probably shouldn't have spammed RJW as much. I use Revival when it's called for. I just don't get. Sometimes I feel like I'm doing alright, sometimes I feel like I just suck. Any help would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Tameiki View Post
    Armory: Armory
    Spec: Mistweaver
    Combat Log Parse (WoL/WCL):
    M Reaver
    M Kormrok
    M Council

So basically I feel like I'm not healing as well I should be healing. I know my Life Cocoon usage needs to be waaaay better (I haven't been using it like a bad) and on Council I probably shouldn't have spammed RJW as much. I use Revival when it's called for. I just don't get. Sometimes I feel like I'm doing alright, sometimes I feel like I just suck. Any help would be appreciated.
    First of all, your healing isn't actually all that low for the healing comp your guild is running. If you're looking at ranks and thinking your healing is low you should remember that the people who are setting the bar for ranks are either exceptionally good players or are healing in an environment that allows them to get higher numbers(less healers, no disc priests, etc.).

Few points about your healing:

1) Your Extend Life healing is very low which leads me to believe that you're doing a couple things wrong. First and foremost, if you don't already know the trick to get the instant heal with Extend Life then you should and you should get used to doing it. Monkioh has a really good video explaining it here, but essentially the 4pc has a small delay before it applies the heal to targets with the Extend Life buff on them. You can take advantage of this and cast an ReM on a low health target directly after casting an Uplift and they will receive the heal as well. You should do this whenever possible. For myself it often results in Extend Life actually beating out Uplift as my top heal as it can top people from near death at times. The biggest reason it makes such a difference is that if you're worried about someone dying enough to put Extend Life on them in the first place, chances are that your other healers have the same thought and your Extend Life targets will often be topped off before you can even get an Uplift off.

You should also make sure that when you aren't using this trick that your Extend Life is going on a target where it will be useful. Tanks seem like a good target for this, but with Disc Priests and Holy Pallies taking all the tank heals, you're better off just targeting someone who you know will take damage soon or who takes more damage than others on average.

2) I often tell people they should use Life Cocoon more in this thread, but you don't necessarily need to worry about it unless you're really worried about your numbers. I have fights where I don't even use Life Cocoon because our tanks just don't need it. I end up using it to save a DPS just as much as I use it as a tank CD. If you remember to or need to use it often than that's great, but raid healing is more important for us and you can often hold and use it to save someone's life instead.

3) Whoever is in control of your healing ring usage doesn't seem to be very good with it. Your ring healing on every log is very low or almost non-existent. Some better ring usage would get you a little bit more healing.

Other than those things you're healing is totally fine and you actually do more than I do with the same healing comp on most fights. I'm not sure if you already knew the Extend Life trick or not, but I definitely feel that your Extend Life healing is your only big downfall. Work on that and maybe you'll see yourself beating that Disc Priest at some point(We can dream, right?).

Quote Originally Posted by Nokcihc View Post
    Other than those things you're healing is totally fine and you actually do more than I do with the same healing comp on most fights. I'm not sure if you already knew the Extend Life trick or not, but I definitely feel that your Extend Life healing is your only big downfall. Work on that and maybe you'll see yourself beating that Disc Priest at some point(We can dream, right?).
    Hey, thanks for the quick reply! I actually just started trialing with this guild which is the main reason I made the post. I do know about the Extend Life trick, but from looking back on my logs it does look like I'm not utilizing it properly so thank you! I was honestly pretty discouraged because my healing was so far behind the other healers.

Quote Originally Posted by Tameiki View Post
    Hey, thanks for the quick reply! I actually just started trialing with this guild which is the main reason I made the post. I do know about the Extend Life trick, but from looking back on my logs it does look like I'm not utilizing it properly so thank you! I was honestly pretty discouraged because my healing was so far behind the other healers.
    No problem. One thing that a lot of MWs should realize is that we are no where near the best healing class right now. We have our niche just like every other class in that we are amazing AoE healers, particularly if the group is stacked. However, Shamans are just as good at stacked AoE healing as us and there isn't a lot of that this expansion to begin with. Almost every fight is very light damage with heavy spikes which is not where we excel as we don't have the spot healing abilities or the powerful AoE burst healing that other classes have(outside of Revival). There are very few fights where you're going to be top on the meters and you should use that knowledge to your advantage and help to support your other healers rather than aim for higher numbers. I actually spend a lot of time Fistweaving when I can as we just aren't all that useful when there's low damage going out and DPS checks are much higher this expansion than previous ones.

^pretty much, also you can cheese a good parse for council by using the archimonde trinket

Hello there, I'm a brewmaster in a 8/13M soon to be 9/13M guild. We just recently picked up a holy pally and he was destroying my damage. I have never had a problem with dying while tanking any mythic fight so far. I am just wondering if there is anything you guys can see from my armory and logs that I am doing wrong or could be doing better. I know I could be doing much more damage and I feel like in some of the later bosses it will be helpful.

Armory: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte.../Thebox/simple

Logs: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/Lq3fZkFBxGy1hHTD

Thanks in advanced for any and all advice.

Looking really quickly at your logs:
    -you don't use tiger palm nearly enough, should be used in every empty gcd
    -you don't use keg smash on cd all the time
    -you refresh zen sphere before the explosion, losing all the damage from it(if you can't handle it chi burst is a good alternative on most fights)
    -you don't use touch of death as much as you could (it's a 1:30 cd, if you use 1 every 2 minutes for 500k damage it's already over 4k dps by itself)

Just doing that you should gain a fair amount of dps, of course you can do more using chi explosion and even dps trinkets on some fights

Armory: us.battle.net/wow/en/character/Mal'Ganis/Iamapandairl/advanced
    Spec: MW
    Combat Log Parse (WoL/WCL): Most recent mythic kills:
    HFA: www warcraftlogs com/reports/ryc6b1JL8ZhBHV9p#fight=7&type=healing
    Reaver: www warcraftlogs com/reports/ryc6b1JL8ZhBHV9p#fight=10&type=healing
    Korm: www warcraftlogs com/reports/ryc6b1JL8ZhBHV9p#fight=12&type=healing
    Council: www warcraftlogs com/reports/ryc6b1JL8ZhBHV9p#fight=14&type=healing
    Kilrog: www warcraftlogs com/reports/ryc6b1JL8ZhBHV9p#fight=20&type=healing
    Gorefiend: www warcraftlogs com/reports/ryc6b1JL8ZhBHV9p#fight=34&type=healing
    Soc: www warcraftlogs com/reports/ryc6b1JL8ZhBHV9p#type=healing

So, I have posted here before about my healing from a month or so ago. Since then, I, and my Guild, think I have improved my healing(Frequently parsing 80%+ in Heroic). Because of this, my Guild has decided to start bringing me in for Mythic runs for the past few weeks, and even brought me in for Gore and Soc last night. I know that my fellow healers are extremely skilled and that I'll probably never surpass them, but I still think I'm not pulling all the weight I should. I'd appreciate any insight on what I may be missing, because I'm pretty bad at reviewing healing logs.

Thanks for any help!

Quote Originally Posted by DrBaaa View Post
    Armory: us.battle.net/wow/en/character/Mal'Ganis/Iamapandairl/advanced
    Spec: MW
    Combat Log Parse (WoL/WCL): Most recent mythic kills:
    HFA: www warcraftlogs com/reports/ryc6b1JL8ZhBHV9p#fight=7&type=healing
    Reaver: www warcraftlogs com/reports/ryc6b1JL8ZhBHV9p#fight=10&type=healing
    Korm: www warcraftlogs com/reports/ryc6b1JL8ZhBHV9p#fight=12&type=healing
    Council: www warcraftlogs com/reports/ryc6b1JL8ZhBHV9p#fight=14&type=healing
    Kilrog: www warcraftlogs com/reports/ryc6b1JL8ZhBHV9p#fight=20&type=healing
    Gorefiend: www warcraftlogs com/reports/ryc6b1JL8ZhBHV9p#fight=34&type=healing
    Soc: www warcraftlogs com/reports/ryc6b1JL8ZhBHV9p#type=healing

So, I have posted here before about my healing from a month or so ago. Since then, I, and my Guild, think I have improved my healing(Frequently parsing 80%+ in Heroic). Because of this, my Guild has decided to start bringing me in for Mythic runs for the past few weeks, and even brought me in for Gore and Soc last night. I know that my fellow healers are extremely skilled and that I'll probably never surpass them, but I still think I'm not pulling all the weight I should. I'd appreciate any insight on what I may be missing, because I'm pretty bad at reviewing healing logs.

Thanks for any help!
    So first things first, your ilvl is really low compared to the other healers in your guild. You're going to have a hard time doing anywhere near as much healing as them until you get some gear. With that said, I don't really have a whole lot of advice for you, just a few things you could work on and do better.

1) First and foremost, work on your timing. One of the first things I do when learning a new fight is learn the timers of abilities. This is a very important thing to do not only as a raider, but as a healer specifically. If you can know exactly when damage is going to happen then you can heal much more effectively and you will hopefully be getting more heals off before people are topped which means more healing overall for you. This is probably the most important and the most difficult thing to learn how to do as a healer, but once you get your timing down you'll see yourself doing much better.

2) Your Revival usage is not very good. There could be a reason for that, if your Revival is part of a CD rotation or if it's being called for by your raid leader/healing leader. If that's the case then you're fine, but your healing is going to suffer if Revival is used like that.

If your Revival is not part of a rotation then this becomes another timing issue. Revival is generally one of our highest healing abilities and possibly the best throughput CD in the game depending on your needs. Most times when you use Revival you should be getting over 2mil healing out of it. If you use that a couple times in a fight, or just once in a short fight, it quickly becomes one of your top heals. You should be paying attention to the timing of abilities and figuring out where you can use Revival the best. As an example, on Gorefiend the Feast phases are exactly 3 minutes apart(each feast is 1 minute long and the in between phases are 2 minutes long). With that knowledge you should be able to get off a minimum of two good Revivals on a Gorefiend pull.

3) Your Extend Life healing could be better. I'm going to assume that you don't know about the instant heal trick and go ahead and explain it anyways so if you do know it just skip the next paragraph.

You can get a large instant heal with Extend Life by casting a ReM directly after casting Uplift. The way this works is that there is a small delay on the application of the Extend Life heal. If you manage to get Extend Life on another target before the application of the heal, it will also apply to this new target.

This trick is possibly the main reason that our 4pc is so good. If you've ever looked through top ranking Monk logs, their Extend life healing is almost always just as high or even higher than their Uplift healing. Using the instant heal trick is how they manage to get such high numbers. You should still continue to make sure you're picking good Extend Life targets when you're just casting ReM to get the raid covered as that will also help your healing, but getting used to using this trick will greatly increase your healing. As a side note, when you do use this trick, don't worry about overriding another ReM if the person will benefit from the instant heal. The instant is much more important in most situations than wasting one ReM bounce and will get your a lot more healing.

That's really all I can see. Your spell usage and everything else is fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Nokcihc View Post
    So first things first, your ilvl is really low compared to the other healers in your guild. You're going to have a hard time doing anywhere near as much healing as them until you get some gear. With that said, I don't really have a whole lot of advice for you, just a few things you could work on and do better.

1) First and foremost, work on your timing. One of the first things I do when learning a new fight is learn the timers of abilities. This is a very important thing to do not only as a raider, but as a healer specifically. If you can know exactly when damage is going to happen then you can heal much more effectively and you will hopefully be getting more heals off before people are topped which means more healing overall for you. This is probably the most important and the most difficult thing to learn how to do as a healer, but once you get your timing down you'll see yourself doing much better.

2) Your Revival usage is not very good. There could be a reason for that, if your Revival is part of a CD rotation or if it's being called for by your raid leader/healing leader. If that's the case then you're fine, but your healing is going to suffer if Revival is used like that.

If your Revival is not part of a rotation then this becomes another timing issue. Revival is generally one of our highest healing abilities and possibly the best throughput CD in the game depending on your needs. Most times when you use Revival you should be getting over 2mil healing out of it. If you use that a couple times in a fight, or just once in a short fight, it quickly becomes one of your top heals. You should be paying attention to the timing of abilities and figuring out where you can use Revival the best. As an example, on Gorefiend the Feast phases are exactly 3 minutes apart(each feast is 1 minute long and the in between phases are 2 minutes long). With that knowledge you should be able to get off a minimum of two good Revivals on a Gorefiend pull.

3) Your Extend Life healing could be better. I'm going to assume that you don't know about the instant heal trick and go ahead and explain it anyways so if you do know it just skip the next paragraph.

You can get a large instant heal with Extend Life by casting a ReM directly after casting Uplift. The way this works is that there is a small delay on the application of the Extend Life heal. If you manage to get Extend Life on another target before the application of the heal, it will also apply to this new target.

This trick is possibly the main reason that our 4pc is so good. If you've ever looked through top ranking Monk logs, their Extend life healing is almost always just as high or even higher than their Uplift healing. Using the instant heal trick is how they manage to get such high numbers. You should still continue to make sure you're picking good Extend Life targets when you're just casting ReM to get the raid covered as that will also help your healing, but getting used to using this trick will greatly increase your healing. As a side note, when you do use this trick, don't worry about overriding another ReM if the person will benefit from the instant heal. The instant is much more important in most situations than wasting one ReM bounce and will get your a lot more healing.

That's really all I can see. Your spell usage and everything else is fine.
    Thanks for the info! This mostly confirms what I was thinking(that my gear is a big setback currently). I do know about the 4P "Flash Heal" as I call it, I actually teach it to a lot of Mistweavers I come across. I didn't even notice how low my Extend Life healing was on these fights, but I can probably put that on lag, as I was at almost 450 MS on that night. Timing is definitely something I know I need to work on, but I think that'll come with more experience. Since my Guild wasn't progressing on any of those fights, we killed them all in a couple attempts. For example, I still technically only have 8 pulls worth of experience on Gorefiend.

Again, thank you for your time. If I have any more issues, I'll be sure to come to you. <3

Hi guys,

My first post here in this thread.
    Armory: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...er/Zo/advanced
    Spec: WW
    Combat Log Parse (WoL/WCL): https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...pe=damage-done

I'm a main healer switching roles to WW so please take that into account, a lot of this WW stuff is new to me, but I do feel I understand most of it (if not second nature yet). I've off-dps'd in the past but not really in progression.

The log above is our first mythic council kill. Great fight for WW, but looking at the ranks I'm not pulling my gear's weight, I feel I should be like 20k dps higher, ballpark. I'm first to admit I'm probably not doing enough stuff during the split phase, a big thing is just trying to stay alive and not walk into axes or puddles while finding something at all to punch.

But to simplify things, I decided to look at just the first minute of the fight, compared with someone with similar talents, similar gear level and trinkets:
    Me -> https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...53&end=6962874
    Ranked -> https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...20&end=5377759

And it's just stunning what i see. I mean, just his Xuen is doing twice my Xuen's damage. Everything else kinda scales too. I swear I've looked like 30 times to make sure I wasn't wearing int/spirit items The biggest thing I think I see is my usage of TEB is lower by a good bit (it's just a minute log). I can fix that by having my WA be more annoying when it drops. I was also valuing FoF too low (old school thinking) and can obviously use it more aggressively. But it just doesn't feel like that accounts for everything.

So I have a couple questions and requests:
    1) ChiEx - man there's so much messed up info on this out there. Looking at resources: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...7759&spell=112

First off, how does he use it for 3 chi when he has 4 chi? I can only assume that's a glitch on Warcraft Logs. For that matter, I see 1 chi RSK's too, which is weird.
    But anyway, I was trying to use it always at 4 chi, because the bosses are together and someone told me that was OP to splash that around. But i was getting energy starved pretty quick that way. Is there some kind of current resource that outlines how to use ChiEx optimally? Or maybe use me as an example here and say what I'm doing wrong with it.
    I do assume when you use it twice the dots add (ie, they don't clip).
    Maybe it's better to use it @ 3 at the start to build stacks.

2) RSK - should I use on cooldown (used to be this was what to do) or just to refresh the debuff? The FoF thread in this forum isn't that clear to me. If just to maintain debuff (like tiger palm) then I was doing it wrong, somewhat.

3) Energy. The intial burst is done, and you used energizing brew and it's done too. You can't even Jab because energy's too low. Chi burst is on cooldown. I mean, do you guys find yourselves in this situation where you have to sit there and autoattack for a second or two to wait for energy?

4) Combo Breaker - say you're getting close to low energy situation above. Do you sometimes want to do other stuff to try to get a combo breaker so you can 4-chi ChiEx for 2 chi? Toward the end of the night I was getting more aware of trying to use combo-breaker and chi-ex a bit more intelligently or maybe it was more of a dread knowing I was screwing my energy up when using chiEx with 4 chi without combo breaker :/

5) Please confirm my polearm isn't actually a fishing pole. This is really just a request, if you see something else I've totally got wrong here, please let me know. Maybe there's an ability I'm not even using or something obvious and stupid I should be doing. Maybe gnomes do less damage. Maybe my name needs sharper letters. Who knows, it's baffling to me.

Thanks so much for your time!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by -Zo- View Post
    SNIP
    First, what you missed in the log that you linked, was that he got Fel Rage while all 3 targets were up, so with SEF on 2 targets plus him, plus the Fel Rage debuff, he did huge amounts of damage in that short time. If you don't get Fel Rage then you can't hope to compete with someone who did. Its also really the only way to rank high.

Your Armory:
    You also don't have Glyph of the Floating Butterfly which is pretty much 100% required for every fight for the rest of forever. Get rid of Healing Spheres glyph.
    If you have access to it, Mirror of the Blademaster, at any ilvl will be really strong on Council. Malicious Censer is a good alternative, but won't be as strong.
    Your non legendary ring isn't enchanted.

Now to your questions:
    1) I'm not sure how he casts it for 3 Chi, it should always go down 2 or 4. Looking at my own logs for that fight, its always 2 or 4 Chi with the exception of one FoF which somehow cost 2. When you are cleaving, such as this situation, you always want to use it with 4 Chi, never less. If you have a Combo Breaker then you still want to Jab to 4 Chi before using it. You can find that on my blog and several times in the WW guide thread. You will be energy starved, but Combo Breakers, FoF, and Energizing Brew act to get you some Energy back.

2) If you're in a single target situation, then you want to use RSK on cooldown. If you're cleaving, then you want to use it only to keep the debuff up on your targets. Much of the time, the trinket and 4pc will do this for you.

3) Most of the time if you plan ahead you wont spend much time waiting, but there will always be downtime, specially with ChiX. If you're finding too much downtime with Chi Burst, then use Chi Wave for twice the extra globals worth of regen.

4) If you don't have Combo Breaker, then you want to try to Jab to 6 Chi in order to get another chance at Combo Breaker.

5) Its not a fishing pole.

Now looking at your log:

Tiger Power buff: 87% uptime, should be near 100%

9 of 21 Fists of Fury: this is the most damage ability and tons of free energy regen, 40 energy each time, so thats 480 energy lost.
    3 of 9 Energizing Brew: You just threw away 360 free energy throughout the fight.

If you look at those two things, thats 840 energy you lost, 18 Jabs, or 9 4-Chi Explosions. Thats a ton of damage.

Chi Burst- 9 of 16, more energy regen lost, if you find you have too much downtime, switch to Chi Wave

Thats all I'll go into for now, get your rotation and glyphs right. I recommend reading the guide on the WW thread or on my blog if you have not already as they should have the most up to date information.

Thanks Babylonius!

Totally forgot about fel rage. It's been many attempts since i got it (last time I did, I was healing, and fistwove the snot out of him, haha)

I will definitely be studying the blog and its guides.

Thanks again.

hey guys

i have couple of questions regarding ww monk in cm and in general ( raiding, NO PVP pls :

1. im not up-to-date regarding snapshotting. meaning: when to use xuen? at the beginning of the fight, or when trinkets+dmg buffs etc. are popped? or was that only happening with the vengeance thing in MoP for brewmasters???

2. 2 target fight: when to use chi-explo with 3 or 4 chi? meaning, when is the aoe-trigger effect useful ( and if, ofc )?

3. when to use chi wave/chi burst? meaning single target/2-target/3+

i read the fury of fistfire thread here on mmo, but i think all these questions werent answered, maybe i oversaw something, so please be not that hard in answering

greetings
    Last edited by veronimus; 2015-10-11 at 02:20 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by veronimus View Post
    hey guys

i have couple of questions regarding ww monk in cm and in general ( raiding, NO PVP pls :

1. im not up-to-date regarding snapshotting. meaning: when to use xuen? at the beginning of the fight, or when trinkets+dmg buffs etc. are popped? or was that only happening with the vengeance thing in MoP for brewmasters???

2. 2 target fight: when to use chi-explo with 3 or 4 chi? meaning, when is the aoe-trigger effect useful ( and if, ofc )?

3. when to use chi wave/chi burst? meaning single target/2-target/3+

i read the fury of fistfire thread here on mmo, but i think all these questions werent answered, maybe i oversaw something, so please be not that hard in answering

greetings
    1. There is no snapshotting anymore, has been gone for a long time.

2. With more than one target use it at 4 chi, no less

3. Chi Wave when using SEF on 2 targets, Chi Burst on 3 or more.