Poll: Should We?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    These extinct animals had their time, they failed. Fuckem. If you cant adapt to a changing environment, your time comes to an end.
    No man really becomes a fool until he stops asking questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Daethz View Post
    us not living here? Well, for one we could mine our two asteroid belts, mars if need be, and create massive ships large enough even for farmland.
    As i said, future.
    So Science Fiction....Something that may never be possible is your solution

Quote Originally Posted by Torgent View Post
    You found one situation where it was determined that it would be good. To bring back something as pointless as the Dodo bird would not have the same effect. Introducing a predator like the wolf helps the ecosystem by fighting overpopulation, which leads to starvation and in-species competition that could lead to their extinction anyway. Introducing something like the Dodo bird just for shits and giggles would be completely pointless and would likely lead to negative consequences.

Also wolves were hunted because we were their predator. At which point we were playing nature. That's how shit works. If you're not the top of the chain in your ecosystem, you will be hunted. Humans just had the means to hunt them to very low levels because we had means to travel and hunt many different species at once.
    How the hell would reintroducing the dodo have a negative effect? You act as if they've been dead hundreds of thousands or millions of years.

You found one situation where it was determined that it would be good. To bring back something as pointless as the Dodo bird would not have the same effect. Introducing a predator like the wolf helps the ecosystem by fighting overpopulation, which leads to starvation and in-species competition that could lead to their extinction anyway. Introducing something like the Dodo bird just for shits and giggles would be completely pointless and would likely lead to negative consequences.

Also wolves were hunted because we were their predator. At which point we were playing nature. That's how shit works. If you're not the top of the chain in your ecosystem, you will be hunted. Humans just had the means to hunt them to very low levels because we had means to travel and hunt many different species at once.
    To bring back the dodo wouldn't be for "shits and giggles". It would make a statement about how we can turn around our destructive nature and bring back that which prior humans have destroyed. They're a true curiosity due to having evolved without any outside influence and humans destroyed that.

Yes, they should. And then subsequently brought to the dinner table.

Quote Originally Posted by Forsworn Knight View Post
    To bring back the dodo wouldn't be for "shits and giggles". It would make a statement about how we can turn around our destructive nature and bring back that which prior humans have destroyed. They're a true curiosity due to having evolved without any outside influence and humans destroyed that.
    Sooo what you're saying is it wouldn't be for shits and giggles, it would be for bragging rights.

And to Daara, the dodo has been extinct for I believe 350 years. The ecosystems have been completely normalized without them, introducing them back into their old ecosystem could lead to very bad things. Just saying that it can't have a negative impact doesn't make it so. Introducing any extinct animal can throw things completely out of order. The dodo has no vital role, so it would offer little to no benefit, and potentially negative shifts.

10+ Year Old Account
    A highly disgruntled constituent of Lindsey Graham.
    Well, I don't really get the big deal about Dodos, they were kind of boring birds, and pretty closely related to several living species. They were only important to the ecosystem of a few very small and mostly uninhabited islands in the Indian Ocean. So if you want to bring back a dead species Dodo is a fairly safe choice that won't mess up much. After all, humans have nuked bigger islands than those repeatedly, and I am pretty sure that was bad for the ecosystem too.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadoweye View Post
    These extinct animals had their time, they failed. Fuckem. If you cant adapt to a changing environment, your time comes to an end.
    You realize NO animal on earth other than humans can adapt to what we're doing.
    Cows, Chickens, Goats havent gone extinct yet because we farm them.

Quote Originally Posted by Thekri View Post
    Well, I don't really get the big deal about Dodos, they were kind of boring birds, and pretty closely related to several living species. They were only important to the ecosystem of a few very small and mostly uninhabited islands in the Indian Ocean. So if you want to bring back a dead species Dodo is a fairly safe choice that won't mess up much. After all, humans have nuked bigger islands than those repeatedly, and I am pretty sure that was bad for the ecosystem too.
    Their destruction was a tragedy. One that may one day be rectified to the best degree achievable through science.

umm probably not, its against the natural order of things, i think meddling too much with things like that will only end badly.

some things are just supposed to happen. now i think animals that are being hunted to extinction could be helped but bringing back whole species a'la Jurassic park, bad idea.

Their destruction was a tragedy. One that may one day be rectified to the best degree achievable through science.
    Their destruction? You're using some interesting pseudoscience to say that they were massacred. Most scientific finds via fossils and records indicate that the Dodo was already rare or nearing extinction before humans ever inhabited the islands in any real manner. Their island was also home to other prey that the humans that were there would have also hunted for food. The dodo became extinct likely due to a combination of humans (because dodos never feared humans, thus wouldn't instinctively run) and due to other animals/natural events. The dodo has no place in any ecosystem because it did not know to fear predators. If reintroduced, it would die off again due to another predator.

10+ Year Old Account
    They are extinct for a reason - they were not fit enough to survive, so no, it's pointless.

Tho, "resurrecting" them to be able to research them have its pluses, but at the point where we will be able to "resurrect" extinct animal i doubt that we will need it, because we, probably, at that point, would have enough knowledge on the topic and wouldn't need to do that.

Or make singular species in some sort of petri dish
    Last edited by Charge me Doctor; 2015-01-13 at 02:46 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

I want my Jurassic Park, and I want it now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

Quote Originally Posted by Garnier Fructis View Post
    I want my Jurassic Park, and I want it now.
    Dinosaurs were never real, so how would we bring them back? Everyone knows Jurassic Park made them up and buried millions of fake bones all over the planet for publicity.

Dinosaurs were never real, so how would we bring them back? Everyone knows Jurassic Park made them up and buried millions of fake bones all over the planet for publicity.
    http://www.happletea.com/comic/the-devils-handiwork/
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sindile View Post
    Ya know, in the end shit goes extinct. Those animals did, the animals alive today will, we humans will, its the way of life. No escaping it. Mother nature is a bitch
    No idea what you're talking about, I fully intent to live forever and conquer the stars.

OT: why the hell not?

10+ Year Old Account
    No, thats how we get weird mammoth bourne diseases...
    You're a towel.

Not products of natural selection (read: not a result of human society), unless strictly confined to zoos. With globalization, we have enough problems with exotic species as-is. Eurasian milfoil, Asian carp, emerald ash borer, and dutch elm disease are ones that seem to be currently at work in my state with force.

No. They lasted as long as they could in this enviroment and that's really much it.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

10+ Year Old Account
    Only the cool ones that won't reck the environment or us.