Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    Maybe in your country. In America a tip is expected. It's rude not to tip.
    I live in America. I've worked in many restaurants and as a delivery driver. When I received money from someone I would ask "do you want change?" Because that's fucking common sense. expecting more from someone than their bill says is just a bad way of thinking.
    It's like crossing an intersection. There's shit going on all over the place and you don't panic and act like an idiot then do you?

Quote Originally Posted by kynthrus View Post
    I live in America. I've worked in many restaurants and as a delivery driver. When I received money from someone I would ask "do you want change?" Because that's fucking common sense. expecting more from someone than their bill says is just a bad way of thinking.
    This so much.
    Why is there no like button?!

Asking do you want change is quite rude. You are expected to give the change by default...Well, different countries I guess.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinykong View Post
    That's called a fee.
    I agree. If tips are expected it should be included in the price of service.

Sorta like 'mandatory donations' a lot of small museums have.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Stupid on both sides, dumb of them to pay all in ones and not just giving the exact 12. More dumb of the delivery driver for not asking if they want change, expecting a tip is the worst thing a delivery boy or server can do.
    How the fuck is the Delivery boy dumb? He said he explained it was only 12 dollars, meanwhile the guy is expecting change?

If I order 15 dollars of food, and give you 18 dollars in singles and then expect you to give me back two dollars I would be a huge fucking assholes.

This video pissed me off... guy is a douchebag.

- - - Updated - - -

He paid in singles.

Stupid on both sides, dumb of them to pay all in ones and not just giving the exact 12. More dumb of the delivery driver for not asking if they want change, expecting a tip is the worst thing a delivery boy or server can do.
    You never been to a hotel then? They just stand there waiting for money.

He can't prove he paid 20$, I would not return anything

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MannDuo View Post
    Then that wouldn't be a tip...
    Do we really need to play with semantics on this issue right now?

OT: It's a very reasonable assumption if you're being paid in singles that obviously exceed the cost that whatever remains is tip. If it was not intended to be tip, did the customer just expect the driver to be able to count better? It's hard to figure out a reason to overpay with small bills while not giving the excess as a tip.
    /\ Was this sarcasm? Are you sure?
    || Read it again, I'll wait.
    || The results may surprise you.

That's called a fee.
    It's called a tip :P That is the common usage vernacular for it.

And yes, despite what some people on this forum would like to believe, tipping is a social expectation when you order delivery food items or go to a restaurant in the United States. If you for some reason are offended by that, then there is always the option to not order takeout or eat out.

I would also advise you to not go out to dinner with a date, friends, colleagues, clients or an employer if you do not plan on tipping, since most Americans do tip (like 99.99% based on my own experience as a server/bartender while in college) and you'll just end up looking like a cheapskate.

In fact, I know someone whose employer passed up one of their colleagues for promotion when they did not adequately tip after taking their boss out to lunch and the boss in question felt obligated to come back and leave a tip themselves. That is how much of a breach of social etiquette not tipping may be.

Be a social warrior all you want, but choose to not tip at your own discretion.

Probably an internet myth because I've seen a few variations of it...
    A brand new CEO decides to take a stroll through the offices to prove that he really means business. He sees a man leaning against wall doing absolutely nothing. The CEO hones in and seizes this opportunity to show that he will not tolerate slacking. He approaches the man and asks him how much money he makes per week. The man responds that he makes about $800 so the CEO hands him $800, tells him he’s fired and points at the door. After the man walks out he turns to the other employees and says, “Now someone tell me what this guy’s job was!” Someone replies, “He’s the pizza delivery guy.”
    Here's your sign.

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    It's called a tip :P That is the common usage vernacular for it.
    A tip is optional; a fee is required.
    Quote Originally Posted by Djalil View Post
    I am ACTUALLY ASKING for them to ban me and relieve me from the misery of this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by SidFwuff View Post
    Or say something before he leaves.

The reason? The same reason they recorded it and uploaded it.

They were doing it for the laughs. Which is an asshole thing to do.
    Hilarious the guy could lose his job for a laugh..

6 people in that office and none of them stood up for the guy....

I've never been in that position (having delivered myself) but i would have refused to go back and give them the tip money back. I would see how far they want to take $8 tip, because i'm not spending my time and money (and gas/vehicular wear and tear) on people like that. They can get me fired, end of the day they are still wrong, and should get an $8 stupid tax for their error.

If you do this in a restaurant the waiter will pocket the rest and consider it a tip as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    How the fuck is the Delivery boy dumb? He said he explained it was only 12 dollars, meanwhile the guy is expecting change?

If I order 15 dollars of food, and give you 18 dollars in singles and then expect you to give me back two dollars I would be a huge fucking assholes.

This video pissed me off... guy is a douchebag.

He paid in singles.
    Exactly. You don't give exact amount plus more money and expect that to not be considered the tip.

A tip is optional; a fee is required.
    While this is a pretty silly thing to argue about, I'm pretty sure if we asked the average person if the money they left for a server or bartender after ordering a drink/meal was a tip or a fee, that the majority would consider it to indeed be a tip.

Deleted
    We already have an active tipping thread, do we need another thinly disguised one?

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...-about-tipping

Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    We already have an active tipping thread, do we need another thinly disguised one?
    Not really.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    He paid in singles.
    I don't see how a different method of payment makes a person an asshole? It's kinda annoying, but it's stupid to assume that even if they paid in pennies that you're entitled to any amount over what you are owed.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    While this is a pretty silly thing to argue about, I'm pretty sure if we asked the average person if the money they left for a server or bartender after ordering a drink/meal was a tip or a fee, that the majority would consider it to indeed be a tip.
    Also you're not going to get in any legal trouble for ducking out on a tip, just looked down at a bit, pretty sure you would for a fee.

Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    I don't see how a different method of payment makes a person an asshole? It's kinda annoying, but it's stupid to assume that even if they paid in pennies that you're entitled to any amount over what you are owed.
    I'm not sure how you're missing this. They had the exact amount, and they gave over it, and now they're expecting the person to come back to give it to them again. Why didn't they say something right away?

Deleted
    I am not sure how you can't see it...

He gave him 20x $1 dollar bills , which means he first handed him exactly $12 in one dollar bills, and then $8 in one dollar bills.