10+ Year Old Account
    By Lieutenant Colonel Whiskers McBallofur Maximilliamus the Third

How your taste in games will affect the games your kids play.

Interesting, whats your take on this? Cant really post the text since its walls upon walls of text and nobody would like that, Also sry if this is in the wrong section.

http://www.polygon.com/2015/1/14/754...your-kids-play
    “Snow can only live in the winter. When it nears a fire, it dies. That is its life. It may yearn for summer, but… it can only desire it. In my hand, the snow becomes water, because this is not its world….”
    “The boundless Heavens and Earth are the final resting place of all living things. Life is like a journey, filled with various scenery, various paths.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, I wont let them read polygon for one. PoS gaming journalism...

10+ Year Old Account
    My parents don't like music much. I love music. My dad only listens to crap rock like ACDC and Nickleback. My mum listens to Abba and musical soundtracks. Not everything gets passed down.

10+ Year Old Account
    They will be raised playing Age of Empires 1 and 2. That's it. Just like I was.

10+ Year Old Account
    I am a parent... And my junior plays nothing of what I play, vice versa.

I can't get him to play WoW, he considers it childish.

His music taste is influences by that of his parents though.
    There is no fool proof generalization what kids might or might not do when they're grown up.
    Some things they pick up, other things they do the exact opposite of what you had in mind.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

If I were a parent, I'd just let them try every game I enjoyed until they find something that they'd like. I feel like it'd be a nice bonding experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Adamcrazy3 View Post
    I don't play games.
    So am I.~~

Deleted
    My dad used to play games on Atari, Commodore etc when I was young and still plays a lot of tablet games like Boom Beach. I would say our taste in game has middle ground but I like stuff with good story, he likes blowing shit up.

I have a huge variety in musical taste which could be down to my parents since my mum like classical and old swing sort of music (Sinatra et all.) where my dad was in a punk band and listens to more rock. That sort of blended me into having such a wide variety of musical taste, plus the help of video games really cemented my love for classical music.

So yeah I guess it can have an effect, however this wasn't until my 20's before that I listened to rap and shitty hardcore dance, which was more influenced by my peers and to be honest falls in line with most socialization theories that in adolescence you move away from your parents and act more like your friends.

10+ Year Old Account
    My parents have never played a computer game in their life, they have never owned a console, never installed a game on their laptop, never installed a game on their phone.. yet here i am with over 100 pc games installed on my computer >.<

Deleted
    I hardly play games (anymore) and I'm certainly not planning to still be palying any when I have kids.

Also, having experienced the people who are playing online games I can say I would forbid them to join in.

I expected more. The linked article is a very shallow opinion piece...

Alot of trends like music, fashion etc are cyclical to begin with. It's not much diffrent for gaming, we have more 8 bit games nowadays than there were 8 bit games back in the "good old days" we try to ape. Not to mention that some things are just nostalgia; for example I just can't stand to read long sections of dialogue in an RPG without voice acting anymore. No amount of nostalgia will change that. On the other hand I will never be okay with the crippling limitation of the console port cancer that limits me to 4-8 spells/actions maximum in my RPGs because shit heads with a controler need to play it as well, even though there is no excuse to actually require a controler to play it on modern machines.

I doubt my kids would suddenly develop a taste for all the bad, just because I liked some of the bad stuff back then, because there was no good stuff and vice versa. If anything, current indie trends show that good games are good and bad games are bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Well, I wont let them read polygon for one. PoS gaming journalism...
    polygon, kotaku, ign ... the list is long tbh..
    Last edited by Cosmic Janitor; 2015-01-15 at 01:59 PM.

Hahaha OP reads ''gaming'' journalism xD

My dad the cheeky fuck used to buy video games for himself and give it me and my brother as Christmas presents

Oh wow a golf game just what i always wanted!

10+ Year Old Account
    Father takes kid/s to the arcade, exposes them to games he loved when he was young.
    It must be hereditary !

What a load of BS.

15+ Year Old Account
    Outside ORG sending your children down the mines.
    Kids?!! Where?! Last time I checked I didn't have those little ankle bitters around me.

My kids won't be playing any mmo thats for sure, I'll save them from that, that ones for free.

I plan on giving my kids my Super Nintendo.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's something in the water... Florida
    Celibate hermits don't get to have kids...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    MMO-C, where a shill for Putin cares about democracy in the US.

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    My father started me on his old intellivision. Games like Q*bert, BurgerTime, B17 were what started everything. Once I had my own systems, I chose what I wanted to play, and my parents ensured that it was appropriate. I'd probably do the same. Start them on something I enjoy, let them find what they like, and if they want to play more, let them choose while ensuring that they aren't playing anything inappropriate -- at least without knowing why it's inappropriate.

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    I am a parent... And my junior plays nothing of what I play, vice versa.

I can't get him to play WoW, he considers it childish.

His music taste is influences by that of his parents though.
    There is no fool proof generalization what kids might or might not do when they're grown up.
    Some things they pick up, other things they do the exact opposite of what you had in mind.
    I remember play the X Men arcade game with my dad growing u. It's one of my fondest memories with him apart from moments in sports where his "man up" and
    "you can do it, I believe in you" lectures kept me going when I fucking sucked at them most of my "career".

We both are also into Madden and World of Warcraft.