Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Do pre-pots help DPS a lot?

I started using pre pots recently before pull and another when my cooldowns come back up and noticed that it helped out my DPS a lot. Is that why trinkets like Scabbard and Lucky Double Sided Coin are so good for DPS?

Yes... its your main stat being boosted by a TON... so you hit like a truck for a while...

At current gear levels, a pot increases your damage around 20-25% (less with better gear). Over a 5 minute fight, a pre-pot alone is worth ~2% of your overall DPS. Hardly trivial!

Edit: And a flask provides 250 of a primary stat, which is around 2.5%. Flasks and Pots matter a great deal. Food... not so much.
    Edit2: And if you consider than many fights start with bloodlust and all your cooldowns, the benefit of a prepot is even greater.
    Last edited by Makh; 2015-01-13 at 10:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Makh View Post
    Edit2: And if you consider than many fights start with bloodlust and all your cooldowns, the benefit of a prepot is even greater.
    This is probably the single biggest reason pre-potting is so useful; the initial burst at the start of any fight makes it ideal to have a potion active, with the added benefit that you will have the ability to use a second one either when CDs come back up or you hit execute range.
    Warlock Soloing & Progress | FC: 4141-3143-3405 | Metang, Mawile, and Klefki

Yessir.

Even healers will pre-pot intellect on fights that ramp up damage quick, pot all the things!
    Resto Druid - Temerity - 7/7M @ 3 Days / Week

Deleted
    Simply put, if you're raiding, I don't see why you wouldn't take any increase to your abilities, no matter the amount. For example enchanting your gear with 50 > 30 will help out. Pre potting (I.e for me, 1k intellect) over 0 intellect is going to be a DPS increase, it doesn't make sense not to .

pots are a huge dps boost for the start. you can gain 1000 more dex for 25 sec by using one, combining it with lucky sided coin for another 1500 dex and whatever other proccing trinket you may have really helps your burst damage. usually the next pot is using during the execute stage cause a skill like killshot will deal massive damage and compliment the potion nicely.

10+ Year Old Account
    Pre-potting is amazing as a dps class.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    Pre-potting is amazing as a dps class.
    Not only as a DPS class Even pre-potting as a tank is really worth it. 1500 bonus armor = 1500 AP + less dmg taken at the start

Pre-potting is an enormous damage boost. It should be considered an absolute requirement if you want to do what can be reasonably considered 'good' dps.

Quote Originally Posted by Drakthan View Post
    Not only as a DPS class Even pre-potting as a tank is really worth it. 1500 bonus armor = 1500 AP + less dmg taken at the start
    And healers.... why NOT take 1k extra intellect for the first 20-25 seconds? Either you can do a bit of extra damage before there's anything to heal, or you heal a bit more if there's damage right at the start of the fight. It's free stats! Healers are so cheap about pots in general in my experience.
    Tradushuffle
    <Echoes>
    Laughing Skull-EU

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drakthan View Post
    Oh absolutely! But the OP seemed to be posing the question as a dps, so I answered accordingly.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

10+ Year Old Account
    You can even play a little game called "spot the ninja-puller before the timer reaches 0". Since it's best to pot at 2~1 seconds to pull. Regardless, they seem to have changed something in the past year, as in you're in combat the minute the boss is engaged, so there's no forgiveness to late potting.
    Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.
    To resist the influence of others, knowledge of oneself is most important.

Quote Originally Posted by Vargur View Post
    You can even play a little game called "spot the ninja-puller before the timer reaches 0". Since it's best to pot at 2~1 seconds to pull. Regardless, they seem to have changed something in the past year, as in you're in combat the minute the boss is engaged, so there's no forgiveness to late potting.
    Depends on your reaction times, I guess. I can still get my prepot off very consistently even if somebody pulls before 0. Just hit the pot keybind as soon as the boss targets something. Depends on the boss, though. Some have more of a grace period before entering combat than others for whatever reason.
    Tradushuffle
    <Echoes>
    Laughing Skull-EU

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sprucelee View Post
    Yessir.

Even healers will pre-pot intellect on fights that ramp up damage quick, pot all the things!
    Which one would that be? I see zero reason to pre-pot on any fight, as damage is usually laughable in the beginning. I guess Discs/Mistweaver would gain a bit of damage, but it's rather meaningless in the long run when compared to actual dps'ers.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by KaPe View Post
    Which one would that be? I see zero reason to pre-pot on any fight, as damage is usually laughable in the beginning. I guess Discs/Mistweaver would gain a bit of damage, but it's rather meaningless in the long run when compared to actual dps'ers.
    Join some serious mythic raiding guild!

250k-500k damage in first 25sec will help a lot in the long run!
    Nothing is meaningless!

Resto druids can spam Wrath at the start for some free damage(Wrath doesn't cost mana), priests could Smite, paladins could Denounce(not sure if Smite/Denounce cost mana nowadays). And why would you NOT take free stats, even if you don't get to make much use of them? That's what I don't get. They're free(except for a small gold cost)
    A little bit of free damage is still damage.
    Last edited by Tradu; 2015-01-14 at 12:30 PM.
    Tradushuffle
    <Echoes>
    Laughing Skull-EU

10+ Year Old Account
    This kind of thinking is what separates mediocre players from great players.

Quote Originally Posted by Skatari View Post
    Simply put, if you're raiding, I don't see why you wouldn't take any increase to your abilities, no matter the amount. For example enchanting your gear with 50 > 30 will help out. Pre potting (I.e for me, 1k intellect) over 0 intellect is going to be a DPS increase, it doesn't make sense not to .
    Yeah. It's...basically more of whatever role you perform. I can't imagine why you wouldn't want that either. I used to have a lot of guildies who didn't even bother with food buffs or flasks. It always pissed me off when we had a 1% wipe on a boss, then I looked through the raid group and saw that we had like 4 DPS who weren't flasked. I used to yell at them for it a lot when I was an officer in that guild. It got bad enough to the point that I'd give out flasks and potions for free, and I'd still have to remind people to use them.

I just hate it when I prepot, then someone yells "OH FUCK WAIT I'M NOT READY DON'T PULL YET" 1 second before the pull.
    Last edited by Ciddy; 2015-01-14 at 02:25 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Outside ORG sending your children down the mines.
    Prepot if you care
    don't if you don't