Thread: English Cuisine

Page 11 of 56 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Saeran View Post
    It's good old Lancashire cuisine :P
    Not for me it ain't. Tripe is disgusting.

Lancashire hotpot (bacon) and chorley/eccles cakes are the best Lancashire foods.

Quote Originally Posted by Valarius View Post
    Corned beef hash though. This thread is making me hungry.
    When done as a more soupy dish, corned beef hash is lovely, get rid of some of the liquid and you can use the left overs for making pasties.

And speaking of pasties, Cornish ones (yes Cornwall people you are still English whether you like it or not) are the staple diet of people going shopping in town with their mum and grandma at 4 years old (that and gingerbread men of course).
    Last edited by Lollis; 2015-01-19 at 01:04 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aliessil View Post

Rhubarb Crumble
    Oh. Didn't know that's British food. I like to make it time to time. I've freezer full of rhubarb.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    I think citrus curd, in the form of pies or tarts, was also common in Britain. Not an American invention at all. Not even key limes, which originated in Asia.
    Aye sure, I just picked key lime pie since it's one of those ones you think "classic American" of. It's not their invention, but it is something that is entrenched in their food culture as like an iconic American dessert.
    Last edited by mmoc4359933d3d; 2015-01-19 at 01:03 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Conspicuous Cultist View Post
    Stereotypically, hell on earth would be the English in charge of cooking but I hope to dispel a couple of thoughts. Lets try to rack our thoughts together and find something good from the British Isles! (Yes, this technically includes wales, scotland, and ireland)

Here, I'll start:

Shepard's pie with some leeks inside it. Quite literally the best "Holy crap, I have the munchies" dinner someone can have.
    I'm scared!

Deleted
    This thread has backfired big time, it was created by an American to try and find good British food and it ends up with us claiming all the best American ones, lol.

most of the food linked in the thread look disgusting.. wouldnt even feed it to a dog

The Lightbringer Conspicuous Cultist's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    This thread has backfired big time, it was created by an American to try and find good British food and it ends up with us claiming all the best American ones, lol.
    America hasn't been around since the dawn of time so I came to accept the fact that we've just stolen all the food from some other cultures.

10+ Year Old Account
    America hasn't been around since the dawn of time so I came to accept the fact that we've just stolen all the food from some other cultures.
    That's pretty much what we have done too. An island based empire needs pies and pasties for the troops and stews for the ship builders, everything else we can just steal from the cultures that we conquer.

Steak and kidney pie with mashed potatoes and carrots covered with gravy, that's what I had for my tea today instead of a Sunday roast, I wouldn't have been a ship builder.
    Last edited by Lollis; 2015-01-19 at 01:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Twix View Post
    most of the food linked in the thread look disgusting.. wouldnt even feed it to a dog
    What would you eat then?

Scouse.

Chips and cheese and gravy.
    Last edited by Calaba; 2015-01-19 at 01:36 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Calaba View Post
    Chips and cheese and gravy
    I'd just like to mention, chips with any sort of sauce other than a splash of vinegar is an abomination. They are supposed to be at least semi crispy on the outside.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    meh,

America is a melting pot. Im of irish descent, and have irish cuisine in the house occasionally (ie, corned beef is expensive, otherwise, god would not stop me from having it weekly, just like how i would want turkey).

Is there good british food? yea, but alot of it is incorporated into American cuisine.

Damn... I hate this thread... I had a good dinner... and I am full... but this thread is making me hungry for foods I cant have... nor should eat... specially since I dont want to get fat =(

Quote Originally Posted by Lollis View Post
    I'd just like to mention, chips with any sort of sauce other than a splash of vinegar is an abomination. They are supposed to be at least semi crispy on the outside.
    The cheese melts over the chips, and mostly leaves the crispyness intact.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Calaba View Post
    The cheese melts over the chips, and mostly leaves the crispyness intact.
    Yeah, with cheese it's sort of okay. But with gravy, or worse, curry sauce... that is just potato assassination.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skayth View Post
    meh,

America is a melting pot. Im of irish descent, and have irish cuisine in the house occasionally (ie, corned beef is expensive, otherwise, god would not stop me from having it weekly, just like how i would want turkey).

Is there good british food? yea, but alot of it is incorporated into American cuisine.

Damn... I hate this thread... I had a good dinner... and I am full... but this thread is making me hungry for foods I cant have... nor should eat... specially since I dont want to get fat =(
    Yeah, I'm trying to count calories for my first day. This wasn't really a good idea to make a thread of this caliber.

10+ Year Old Account
    ugh, sitting in the office, with my stomach growling and I had to browse through this thread xD

That pie looks delicious. Wonder how big it is.
    Nobody likes you, everyone left you, they're all out without you havin fun.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, I'm trying to count calories for my first day. This wasn't really a good idea to make a thread of this caliber.
    Roast Pork, with carrots, crispy roast potatoes, mashed and or boiled new potatoes, broccoli mornay, crackling, and apple sauce, covered in gravy.

That's completely safe and will not get you fat.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lollis View Post
    Roast Pork, with carrots, crispy roast potatoes, mashed and or boiled new potatoes, broccoli mornay, crackling, and apple sauce, covered in gravy.

That's completely safe and will not get you fat.
    I'm having mostly that and I'm at the whims of whatever my father cooks who chain-smokes, drinks, and doesn't give any fucks about his health so I'm just simply cutting down the amount I eat.

I'm having a hard time doing rough measurements. Corn's calorie dense, but 1 cup of corn is a lot of corn and I have no idea what 3 ounces of roast beef looks like.
    Last edited by Conspicuous Cultist; 2015-01-19 at 02:15 AM.

...and I have no idea what 3 ounces of roast beef looks like.
    About the size of his cigarette pack.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Valarius View Post
    Right, but that doesn't make Cajun cuisine American. That'd be like me saying Italian food is Welsh because South Wales had a lot of Italian immigrants who opened restaurants around here and influenced the local cuisine. I mean I'm not that clear, but didn't they come from the French-conquered bits of Canada anyway?
    Oh give me a freaking break. By that standard, all food is African food, since all humans came out of Africa originally.

Cajun food was made by Acadienne immigrants (as all Americans are immigrants) and developed in situ in New Orleans. It's as American as Red Beans and Rice.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!