Page 1 of 9
... LastLast

The issue of race and double standards.

This is something that has bothered me for some time. I'd like to hear other's thoughts on it.

It seems to me that much of the racial prejudice that the black community (particularly in America) claim to suffer from is essentially a product of their own inability to fully integrate into the vastly multicultural society that most of the developed world now takes for granted.
    I'm more than aware of the issue of slavery that rose its ugly head during the colonial period, and the segregation and second-class treatment that black Americans received for many years afterwards. I find these sins of the father to be inexcusable, but there's a time where people need to turn the page and start writing a new chapter.
    Almost weekly there is some news report about "White Cop Shoots Black Civilian!". It's a classic case of the media sensationalizing certain aspects of an otherwise non-story in order to sell papers/get hits on the website. Because they know they can exploit the general feeling of unease about the fact that it's white shooting black.
    This ends up having a knock-on effect within the black community. The media paints an exaggerated picture of white on black violence and as a result the black community gets a distorted view of the extent of racism within the community (particularly where the government and it's employees are concerned).
    Now, we cannot lay them blame solely onto the black community for that. The media are masters of propaganda and spin. Just look at the reputation of Islam at the moment within the western world. We assume that every Muslim sitting with a black bag in an airport is a potential security threat. That fat guy with the Yankees cap, Hawaiian shirt and black bag is probably completely legit though. People are stupid like that.

My problem comes from how the black community chooses to react to this imaginary persecution.
    Take for example, all the god-awful Black-orientated movies that get spewed out year after year.
    These are movies 'Made by black people, for black people'. Which is all good and well until you try and turn that on it's head and begin making 'White movies for white people'. Suddenly it's incredibly racist and acting in prejudice of the black community.
    Movies like these might appear as if they are doing no harm, but subliminally they are reinforcing the impression within the black community that they are somehow 'different' to their Caucasian neighbours.

Issues like this unfortunately only work to widen the void that should in this day and age be completely non-existent.
    It's my belief that the vast majority of black youths being shot and killed by law enforcement officers are indirectly to blame for these shootings.
    I feel it's entirely naive to assume that every white officer that shoots and/or kills a black youth is racist. even if the shooting appears to be completely unjustified. Black youths get shot because there is often some violence or resistance to be expected in their apprehension.
    The reason for this violence or resistance is the black youth's belief that the apprehension is based on race and not on behaviour.
    And round and round it goes.

If Rodney King had the shit beaten out of him by a bunch of black cops, the black community would have most likely just accepted that he deserved a good beating. As soon as the cops are white, it's suddenly racism.
    Some white guy shoots a black kid for trespassing. Riots.
    Black guy shoots a black kid for trespassing. Black kid shouldn't have been in the guys lawn.

It's the attitude of the black community to these kinds of incidents (certainly helped in no way by the media) that constantly fuels the issue of racism.
    Yes, there are slack-jawed wife beating morons out there living in their trailers that hate black people just because they're a different colour to them. But these individuals are in a massive minority now. I truly believe that the majority of the white community really doesn't give two shits about skin colour.
    It's a shame then, that the black community that constantly play the race card themselves whenever possible, apparently perceive whites to be the majority racists.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Polly View Post
    It's a shame then, that the black community that constantly play the race card themselves whenever possible, apparently perceive whites to be the majority racists.
    Self-victimization works, gotta keep those welfare dollars coming!

Sorry that I can't give a more in-depth reply as I'm about to be off to work but, I would like to ask, as I am curious, what exactly are these movies 'Made by black people, for black people'. Are they national films cause I can't recall seeing any trailers for them. The reason I ask is because this is the first time I'm hearing of this example when double standards are usually brought up.

Deleted
    This surprises you, why?

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    Morgan Freeman: “How are we going to get rid of racism? Stop talking about it!”

Morgan Freeman: "I am going to stop calling you a white man and I'm going to ask you to stop calling me a black man"

Morgan Freeman: "I don't want a black history month. Black history is American history."
    If that was the case. Yet everytime a black dude dies from a cop all dem blacks be like amahgaaaad racist. Why can't they just complain at police brutality. Why does the skin colour matter? they don't give a rats ass when white dies, they say, and I know this for a fact. Some rich white dude doing drugs. Probably deserved it. But again. Double standards. And this mostly exists only in the US.

You speak foolishly.

The black community in NYC was up in arms about the Sean Bell shooting:

Notice the ethnic ones? They were treated by the public exactly the same.

People constantly say blacks only care when it's white on black seem to be horribly ignorant of anything that happens in the black communities when it comes to black on black crime and other police shootings. It's as if for some reason they can't fucking use google anymore and searching is too hard when they can just watch a few news clips and surmise "this is all those black people care about" I mean when there are marches to stop black on black crime they usually make the news too, but aren't as reported, yet people like you, ignorant ones who don't bother to actually search anything come to the incorrect conclusion that people only care about race.

When black officers do things to black people or anyone in general it gets reported, thing is we have so fucking few of black officers since the overwhelming majority are white, that the chances of a black officer doing shit tons wrong like white officers doesn't bloody exist because there are just plain less of them. The issue has been officers, the issues have always been about officers regardless of race. The arguments used typically speak about how officers regardless of race treat black people.

You say it's exaggerated but is it really?

White cops are more likely to shoot black people, they are more likely to shoot blacks quicker than they would whites. Where in both cases they both have guns, and in other cases when they are reaching for say id.

White cops are slower to shoot white cops so there is actually some more thinking time going on while with blacks, they shoot quicker.

Are you fucking serious with your "black movie" problem? The reason people make those movies is because the entire industry is essentially white, ethnic actors don't always get a chance and so we have movies made by the very very few black directors that make a movie that caters to black people. You know since most movies cater to whites since everyone is white making them. Are you going to bitch about latino based movies next?
    Last edited by Themius; 2015-01-23 at 12:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kezotar View Post
    If that was the case. Yet everytime a black dude dies from a cop all dem blacks be like amahgaaaad racist. Why can't they just complain at police brutality. Why does the skin colour matter? they don't give a rats ass when white dies, they say, and I know this for a fact. Some rich white dude doing drugs. Probably deserved it. But again. Double standards. And this mostly exists only in the US.
    Really so what happens when the black communities march and have the same issues with black on black cop violence? Whites on this forum seem to have some serious fucking tunnel vision for the issues of "white on black - black people saying racist" while ignoring every other example.

By the way you too sound foolish you just prejudged all blacks by saying "they don't give a rats ass when whites die" really how do you know this?

I tend to agree. Arian Foster can tweet that he's working on his blackness, but if "I have perfect balls" Brady is asked after losing the Super Bowl next weekend, what his plans are... if he says "I'm going to work on my whiteness", he'll be lit up for it.

It's sort of in the same vane as what Chris Rock said, he loves black people, LOVES black people, but boy he hates niggers. I've always thought of the "ER" version of that word as highly racist, but the "a" version as very common and not offensive at all, yet still cringeworthy when suburban white kids throw it around.

I think it's good to have self worth, from yourself all the way up through your family, race, and culture. I think we are too sensitive, too easy to offend. I will tell you that I only get mildly upset when I hear the word Indian (some tribes see that the same as being called a niggER, yet others have it as the name of government agencies) or Redskin, but really, it's the intent and tone of the person using it. If someone says "Wait, your Indian... but are you offended by the word Redskin?" I wouldn't think anything of it, but if I'm out at a sports bar and someone overhears me say I'm native, and they say "oh, your an indian, what if i just came over to you and called you a dirty redskin, how'd you feel about that?" In that context, I would consider it shots fired. Essentially, it's all about intent and tone and a lot of times that message gets blurred and we end up with riots. Riots over some kid that deserved to die, but may not have deserved a whole clip in his chest. /shrug

Sometimes people just need something to rally behind. They need a spark, right or wrong, something ignites the cause. Now, people like to lumb Eric Garner, Mike Brown, and Trayvon Martin all into the same category, when they are completely different cases. People don't tend to investigate and only go off of headlines, which stirs the mob. Which puts us in the "black movies for black people" and makes it "ok for them" since "they" are "owed" something. At what point are "we" even? At what point are "you/we" to "just get over it" and just live a normal live without thinking people are out to get us or that we are more important than we are (WE/I are/am the most important thing in the world, without ME, I do not exist) in a global sense.

Personally, I'm offended by the "black movies" because they are usually pretty bad, and there are so many of them. I'm sorry, Tyler Perry, but your movies are bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.
    ==================================

Another issue is that you people on this forum seem to act as though black people are one giant homogeneous community and if something goes wrong in one, well that's just how all black people think. Do you guy shave any fucking idea who stupid that is?!

10+ Year Old Account
    Australia is lucky on that front, we don't have many.

Quote Originally Posted by larrakeyah View Post
    Australia is lucky on that front, we don't have many.
    This is what I mean by stupid statements.

"We're lucky we don't have many blacks"

That's simply racist.

Quote Originally Posted by Nilil View Post
    Sorry that I can't give a more in-depth reply as I'm about to be off to work but, I would like to ask, as I am curious, what exactly are these movies 'Made by black people, for black people'. Are they national films cause I can't recall seeing any trailers for them. The reason I ask is because this is the first time I'm hearing of this example when double standards are usually brought up.
    I can't link any because I need to post more apparently. But there are an abundance on services like netflix.
    Essentially crappy made for TV movies with completely black-centric storylines.

Try titles like 'Soul Plane', 'For Colored Girls' and 'Why Did I Get Married Too?'
    It seems Tyler Perry gets involved in a lot of these projects. Of course, if he was white and producing strongly white-centric movies, he'd probably be shot down for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    By the way you too sound foolish you just prejudged all blacks by saying "they don't give a rats ass when whites die" really how do you know this?
    I'm an immigrant to the US, and right or wrong, that is the vibe I get from many blacks. Not all, mind you.

For example, were there any marches or shows of condolence or support from the black community in St Louis when that Bosnian immigrant was beaten to death with a hammer by a group of black men?

Either there was, and the media is guilty of not really showing it, which is entirely possible, or there weren't and there is some credence to the feeling that many blacks do not care when something bad is done to a white.

The skin color probably matters in some cases because studies have shown whites to be prejudice of blacks even if they're not consciously doing it, it's still being done.

If someone pulls you over and says "What is your kind doing around here" and you're black in a 90% white town, mm chances are race is playing quite the part.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Polly View Post
    I can't link any because I need to post more apparently. But there are an abundance on services like netflix.
    Essentially crappy made for TV movies with completely black-centric storylines.

Try titles like 'Soul Plane', 'For Colored Girls' and 'Why Did I Get Married Too?'
    It seems Tyler Perry gets involved in a lot of these projects. Of course, if he was white and producing strongly white-centric movies, he'd probably be shot down for it.
    Western society is white centric though.

Both societal, demographic, and culturally.

Blacks are a minority and therefor extremely under-represented in movie casts in the west.

Much like Whites in Korea, Hispanics in China etc.

So a black director making a movie for the black community is seen as empowering a traditionally outcast demographic, and bringing them overdue attention.

Quote Originally Posted by atsawin26 View Post
    I'm an immigrant to the US, and right or wrong, that is the vibe I get from many blacks. Not all, mind you.

For example, were there any marches or shows of condolence or support from the black community in St Louis when that Bosnian immigrant was beaten to death with a hammer by a group of black men?

Either there was, and the media is guilty of not really showing it, which is entirely possible, or there weren't and there is some credence to the feeling that many blacks do not care when something bad is done to a white.
    Do you think every single black death by officer equals a march? Because it doesn't.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's simply racist.
    A black calling me racist. Dunno if I should go cry in the corner or open a bottle of champagne.

Deleted
    If someone pulls you over and says "What is your kind doing around here" and you're black in a 90% white town, mm chances are race is playing quite the part.
    Well, that's just ridiculous. I know there's plenty of people who aren't local to a town who gets the question why they're there, regardless of skin color.

Just saw this on my FB wall, just leaving it here.

http://dif1-62.diply.com/different-s...rbershop/87996

Quote Originally Posted by larrakeyah View Post
    A black calling me racist. Dunno if I should go cry in the corner or open a bottle of champagne.
    When you say you're lucky your country doesn't have a lot of blacks, yes that's racist.

Black people aren't some other species of human who are worse than other people because they're black. It's simply stupid.

Do we at all not care about the crimes white commit? Why isn't it a "white community issue" when whites commit crimes?

Why does no one seem to care that lack of money leads to crime, not race?