Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Why was Nick so good?

Last night, I read Slimed!, and it got to thinking: What made Nick so great back in the day? Was it because it appealed to kids so perfectly, with the shows and bumpers? Is it because they had a little something for everyone, with cartoons, live action shows, game shows, and even a news show? What was it?

Quote Originally Posted by VGAddict View Post
    What was it?
    Could it be that you were a kid and enjoyed it, but now you don't because you aren't the targeted demographic anymore?

Intel Core i5 4690K 3.50Ghz, OC'd to 4.0Ghz | 8GB Corsair DDR3-1066 RAM | Gigabyte Z97-HD3
    NVIDIA GeForce 680GTX 2048MB VRAM | Corsair 750TX 750W PSU | Phantecks Dual fan PH-TC14PE

It felt ahead of its time. The shows [animated and live action] were both beloved. I'd also say there was less competition back then, and nicks offerings were just better

I googled Nickelodeon downfall and found this:

https://morrymitrani.wordpress.com/2...ns-golden-era/

I seem to remember Spongebob being the reason for the shift
    Last edited by MrExcelion; 2015-01-25 at 03:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MrExcelion View Post
    It felt ahead of its time. The shows [animated and live action] were both beloved. I'd also say there was less competition back then, and nicks offerings were just better

I stopped reading after he said Disney Channel had almost no notable programming. What about Darkwing Duck? Goof Troop?

I stopped reading after he said Disney Channel had almost no notable programming. What about Darkwing Duck? Goof Troop?
    How about the disney channel original movies of which maybe 60% were fucking great.

Rocket Power was the shit. That's all I have to say.

Quote Originally Posted by MrExcelion View Post

I was never a huge fan of cartoons, and I never really watched the animated series. I remember Nick for their unique non-cartoon stuff. Stuff like "Are You Affraid of the Dark" and the game shows. Those were great. The problem is that Disney started producing actual shows while Nickelodeon stopped. Disney is also much, much better at marketing its stars. Countless stars have come through the Disney Channel line up... Britney Spears, Miley Cyrus, Selena Gomez, Raven Simone, etc.
    "The round, metal cooking utensil referring to the larger, cookware customarily used for, but not limited to, stews, as being of a dark shade or possibly of African descent." ~~ Fixed for now. But keep in mind any one of the words used in that fix may become politically incorrect or offensive at any moment for any reason. Further amendments may be required to prevent frivolous lawsuits in the future.

And Tailspin, and DuckTales... But didn't they actually air on ABC instead of the Disney Channel itself? I remember watching and loving each of those shows, but we never had Disney or any of the premium movie channels in our cable package.

Looking back, it had some gems, but the main thing was I had that channel, and I didn't have cartoon network, or I probably would have watched more of that.

Nowadays some of the core shows like Spongebob and Fairly Odd Parents have been milked so long they're completely out of ideas. Spongebob in particular is just unwatchably disgusting since they brought in that guy who worked on Ren & Stimpy.

Disney Channel is doing good though, with Wander Over Yonder and Gravity Falls, those are modern gems, let me tell you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wasn't that Disney Afternoon on another affiliate? I don't think it was the actual Disney Channel.

I know it consisted of Darkwing Duck, Goof Troop, Gargoyles, Tale Spin, Rescue Rangers, and a number of others that came late before Disney Afternoon was removed from afternoon programming.

I know they basically went to Toon Disney, but not the core Disney Channel.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Nick at Night was awesome, So were most of their cartoons. Cartoon Networks Toonami was awesome in the 90's aswell, then Adult Swim started when i was a Teen and that was also amazing.

90's truely had the greatest cartoons. because no one was constantly triple checking their work to make sure no annoying fucktards were offended by something.

Agreed, that article's author seemed to be exaggerating, though I do think he's right about Spongebob being the reason for nicks major change. Though I remember watching these shows, were they on disney channel proper when they initially aired or abc? Maybe that was stunting Disney Channel's ability to compete when some of its best shows were on broadcast

Quote Originally Posted by Flutterguy View Post
    Wasn't that Disney Afternoon on another affiliate? I don't think it was the actual Disney Channel.
    Yeah I think that's what I watched
    Last edited by MrExcelion; 2015-01-26 at 02:58 PM.

Deleted
    I did never like Nickelodeon at all. I was a Cartoon Network person when I was a kid.

I think partly it was because as said, not a lot of people had cartoon network but everyone had Nick. I remember going on vacation and they had cartoon network and it was 24/7 cartoons back then. I sat in front of the TV virtually all day and night because it was so awesome to watch Tom & Jerry at 2am. So yeah, my reason was I had Nick and nothing else so I watched that. Also, Legends of the Hidden Temple.

Signature Created by Jassinta

Darkwing Duck, Duck Tales, etc, was never on the Disney Channel - or at least it was also on something else. I never had the Disney Channel growing up, but I watched those shows all the time. I feel like they were on basic cable, like ABC maybe.

10+ Year Old Account
    Us 90's kids had it the best.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Lets say you have a two 3 inch lines. One is all red and the other is 48% red and 52% blue. Does that mean there's a 50-50 chance they're both red or is the second line matching the all red line by 48%?
    ^^^ Wells using an analogy

legends of the hidden temple, Hey Dude, Wild and crazy kids, GUTS, etc

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stayfrostee View Post
    legends of the hidden temple, Hey Dude, Wild and crazy kids, GUTS, etc
    Double Dare, You Can't Say That on Television, Pete & Pete..

Quote Originally Posted by Flutterguy View Post
    Double Dare, You Can't Say That on Television, Pete & Pete..
    Salute Your Shorts, Are You Afraid of the Dark.

Salute Your Shorts, Are You Afraid of the Dark.
    Ohhhh we will share a lifetime of the fondest memories....

Signature Created by Jassinta