Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    we had it the best...kids these days have NO clue

Quote Originally Posted by Stayfrostee View Post
    we had it the best...kids these days have NO clue
    I think kids today have it pretty good too. MLP, Littlest Pet Shop, Gravity Falls, Adventure Time, Regular Show, Phineas and Ferb, the upcoming Star vs. The Forces of Evil, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by VGAddict View Post
    I stopped reading after he said Disney Channel had almost no notable programming. What about Darkwing Duck? Goof Troop?
    To be fair, Darkwing and the rest of Disney afternoon weren't Disney Channel programming. They were on mainstream stations. And they were awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Faroth View Post
    To be fair, Darkwing and the rest of Disney afternoon weren't Disney Channel programming. They were on mainstream stations. And they were awesome.
    I have no doubt that if they aired on Disney Channel, Nick would have had some competition.

A lot of people comparing Nick to Disney but they were different times for me. I enjoyed Nick more as a kid, like the age 8-11 range. Didn't really get into Disney until the teen years.

So, you guys are saying Nick ran mostly unopposed from the 80s to the 90s.

Cartoon Network didn't hit its groove until the late 90's, and Disney Channel wasn't mainstream.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    Looking back, it had some gems, but the main thing was I had that channel, and I didn't have cartoon network, or I probably would have watched more of that.

Nowadays some of the core shows like Spongebob and Fairly Odd Parents have been milked so long they're completely out of ideas. Spongebob in particular is just unwatchably disgusting since they brought in that guy who worked on Ren & Stimpy.

Disney Channel is doing good though, with Wander Over Yonder and Gravity Falls, those are modern gems, let me tell you.
    Gravity Falls in particular is a great show, and I still enjoy Phineas and Ferb with my kids although it's not as good as it was.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I think the answer is both simple and a mirror of modern society. Nick was so popular because they made better shows than everyone else in a time when the internet and culture weren't like they are today. As these things evolved, their shows couldn't keep up. That said, I also grew up entirely within the Nick era. I watched You Cant Do That On Television all the way through Snick's heyday before All That started taking up too much of the development (especially since it was a terrible show).

The audience from that time grew up and thus moved on to Cartoon Network/Adult Swim while the replacement age bracket grew up too fast with the advent of the internet and social media. This is why Disney became so popular due to preteen behavior being dominant for all kids between the ages of 8 up to 20. Essentially the texting then facebook era which then evolved into the Twilight era and so on.

Long story short is that they didn't keep up with culture and became untrendy.
    BAD WOLF

Quote Originally Posted by Kelimbror View Post
    I think the answer is both simple and a mirror of modern society. Nick was so popular because they made better shows than everyone else in a time when the internet and culture weren't like they are today. As these things evolved, their shows couldn't keep up. That said, I also grew up entirely within the Nick era. I watched You Cant Do That On Television all the way through Snick's heyday before All That started taking up too much of the development (especially since it was a terrible show).

The audience from that time grew up and thus moved on to Cartoon Network/Adult Swim while the replacement age bracket grew up too fast with the advent of the internet and social media. This is why Disney became so popular due to preteen behavior being dominant for all kids between the ages of 8 up to 20. Essentially the texting then facebook era which then evolved into the Twilight era and so on.

Long story short is that they didn't keep up with culture and became untrendy.
    So, should Nick make an Adult Swim competitor, to keep up? I mean, Nick is pretty kid-friendly compared to Cartoon Network.

No, Nick should be making whatever that show Miley Cyrus was in...Hannah Montana...or the Suite Life of Zach and Cody. Basically, pre-teen shows, because Kelimbror is right, kids these days hit that pre-teen mentality much quicker and their interest in kids programming is short-lived or even non-existent.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by VGAddict View Post
    So, should Nick make an Adult Swim competitor, to keep up? I mean, Nick is pretty kid-friendly compared to Cartoon Network.
    Are they unprofitable? Do they need to change direction? I don't know any of these things because I don't watch the channel in any form and haven't for years. Other than being the best, which I'm sure all money makers would like to do, is there even a reason to try and do that?

I do know that they have some fairly popular shows for much much younger children, right? Seems like that has been their thing for a while. I don't think it's exactly wise to go after Disney (which has too much money) or AS (which has too much genre defining programming).

I believe they are owned by Viacomm which also owns MTV, VH1, and several other rather irrelevant channels in our modern era. Comedy Central is probably their best channel, but their resume isn't exactly amazing for quality anymore. Maybe they make a lot of money, I don't know, but I think all of their offerings are pretty lame.
    BAD WOLF

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    No, Nick should be making whatever that show Miley Cyrus was in...Hannah Montana...or the Suite Life of Zach and Cody. Basically, pre-teen shows, because Kelimbror is right, kids these days hit that pre-teen mentality much quicker and their interest in kids programming is short-lived or even non-existent.
    But they are making pre-teen shows.

10+ Year Old Account
    WHat happened to Nick? Everytime I turn to it these days, its sprout now.