Thread: Raid frames

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mkultra55 View Post
    How is it not clear that there are times that an addon breaks because of some minor change by Blizzard.
    I get this. I don't get your actual point. That's the difference

Many times these changes effect only specific areas of functionality and a modular system can get up and running again by choosing to not load that specific module.
    Oh, so you cherry pick a very rare scenario which in the history of my using Vuhdo has never once happened and use it as your argument against using Vuhdo.

If that's your point, you really need to find a better one.

If Vuhdo lets you turn off every specific feature than it's really just a modular system without the ability to install only those modules the end user needs. So the choice is either adding the modules I want or disabling the ones I don't want? Sounds like the same thing to me in the end.
    So what's your problem? I don't have a problem with Vuhdo, but it seems you do with something. The ball is in your court, so to speak.

I'll reiterate that I don't care what anyone uses but I am confused by your defensive stance when it comes to Vuhdo. Grid, Grid2, Healbot and Vuhdo all work fine and all let their fans do their jobs in a Raid. I'll stick to the original Grid with Clique and my own custom Mouseover macros but I have never felt the need to defend that set up and I still don't.
    I am *okay* with what other people use. I *personally* feel Vuhdo is the best there is in the healer frames addon market. I am *not okay* with people like you making up non-existent or extremely unlikely weaknesses for Vuhdo.

If that makes me "defensive", then so be it - I am pretty sure I am justified to react as such to ridiculous arguments like yours.
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Prediction for the future

I don't think there is a best raid frames. A lot of raid frames seem to have almost the same customizability. Most seem to have cluster checkers, absorbs, arrows pointing to out of range people, and all the other stuff you need.

I used to use grid for years, but in this expansion it went to shit. Most plugins didnt work anymore. So I changed to ElvUI. It has a lot of customization, and I like people being highlighted when they have a dispellable debuff. If I remember right in grid the debuff just had a red border?

I use ElvUI i used grid for years, then i used VuhDo and Iza stopped updating it although someone took that over, i got rid of it because they don't show the friendly NPCs you need to heal, then Elv made it where you can choose what Hots/Icons to show on there frames, Elv is always updated, there is a priest AoE plugin you can download as well and i can heal friendly NPCs with no problem.

Deleted
    Healbot ftw

Quote Originally Posted by PosPosPos View Post
    I am *okay* with what other people use. I *personally* feel Vuhdo is the best there is in the healer frames addon market. I am *not okay* with people like you making up non-existent or extremely unlikely weaknesses for Vuhdo.

If that makes me "defensive", then so be it - I am pretty sure I am justified to react as such to ridiculous arguments like yours.
    Using Clique allow you to clique cast on other frames than Vuhdo's raid frame. I can clique cast on my bodyguard health bar for example, or when doing world boss i can clique cast on players not in my raid or the target of the boss. I guess it depend on personnal preferences.

Quote Originally Posted by Itania View Post
    Using Clique allow you to clique cast on other frames than Vuhdo's raid frame. I can clique cast on my bodyguard health bar for example, or when doing world boss i can clique cast on players not in my raid or the target of the boss. I guess it depend on personnal preferences.
    Clique is, unfortunately, not a healer frames addon but a supplement to healer frames addons(well, it also applies to default blizzard UI).

There's a really big world of difference there.
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

I know, but you said :
    The difference is having to download another addon to obtain said functionality.

It's better design and more intuitive to have an addon reach its full potential within its own confines rather than depending on others to be useful.

Imagine if you had to download, say Vuhdo for instance, then download an addon called ClusterIndicators for clusters and another called Clickhealing to click heal - it's such a big hassle.
    I was trying to point out that Clique do more than allow clique casting on Vuhdo raid frames, and this is the reason why some people (like me) use it in addition of Vuhdo. I could even argue that in my case it would be better design for the clique casting ability of Vuhdo to be a different module as it is just wasted memory for my use.

I know, but you said :

I was trying to point out that Clique do more than allow clique casting on Vuhdo raid frames,
    So? It doesn't rebut any of my points: raid frames addons that aren't reliant on other supplementary addons to reach their full potential is good design.

I did not address the usefulness of supplementary addons like Clique at all.

and this is the reason why some people (like me) use it in addition of Vuhdo.
    Umm yay congratulations, want a cookie? I could hardly care less, I don't see the reason why you needed to quote me just to say this. It doesn't have anything to do with my points, much less add to, rebut nor agree with them.

I could even argue that in my case it would be better design for the clique casting ability of Vuhdo to be a different module as it is just wasted memory for my use.
    Memory usage constraints hasn't been an issue since only about at least 10 years ago. Yay I just saved 1mb, whoop dee doo such a groundbreaking improvement.
    Last edited by PosPosPos; 2015-02-02 at 01:12 PM.

Memory usage constraints hasn't been an issue since only about at least 10 years ago. Yay I just saved 1mb, whoop dee doo such a groundbreaking improvement.
    Yeah, I don't know why people still worry about addon memory. It ain't 2004 anymore; we have huge amounts of memory compared to what WoW uses. Unless you're running like 50+ addons while having only 2-3gb of memory installed, your addon memory usage really shouldn't be an issue. VuhDo only uses 3-5mb for me.

Quote Originally Posted by anon5123 View Post
    Yeah, I don't know why people still worry about addon memory. It ain't 2004 anymore; we have huge amounts of memory compared to what WoW uses. Unless you're running like 50+ addons while having only 2-3gb of memory installed, your addon memory usage really shouldn't be an issue. VuhDo only uses 3-5mb for me.
    The computer that I use to raid with is like 8 years old, and back when it was brand new it was only a mid-end rig anyway.

Today I still can run WoW on max settings in 30 man raids with 60fps without disabling any addons. And alt tab to play league of legends.

Boy, are people really hung up on minor improvements to the point of unhealthy obsessing. We no longer live in an age where 1mb memory makes or breaks running a video game altogether.

So? It doesn't rebut any of my points: raid frames addons that aren't reliant on other supplementary addons to reach their full potential is good design.

I did not address the usefulness of supplementary addons like Clique at all.

Umm yay congratulations, want a cookie? I could hardly care less, I don't see the reason why you needed to quote me just to say this. It doesn't have anything to do with my points, much less add to, rebut nor agree with them.

No need to be so aggresive. I wasn't trying to deny your point but just trying to point out that in some cases it could be useful to have modularity (having choice is never a bad thing anyway) and why some people like to use Clique with Vuhdo. You said Vuhdo is better than Grid + Clique because it is all in one, i just wanted to add that for some use Vuhdo is not enough so you still have to use Clique.

Sorry if it wasn't clear English is not my native language.

And I don't really care about memory usage (or performance for that matter as i don't think the clique casting code as any impact) it was just trying to demonstrate that the build in functionnality is not always the best solution for everyone with my limited English skills.

No need to be so aggresive.
    No need to make pointless lectures too. See, I can play the "no need to do x" game. Come up with something that is relevant and original for once.

I wasn't trying to deny your point but just trying to point out that in some cases it could be useful to have modularity
    Yeah, it's good when you want to have modularity for the sake of having modularity. In the end, it serves no purpose except maybe mitigate a possibility that is about as common as the sky falling down.

(having choice is never a bad thing anyway)
    Studies shown that people given too many choices tend to result in more redundancy, indecisiveness, or both.

and why some people like to use Clique with Vuhdo.
    You are really not telling me anything new, I already know how people love to install lots of redundant addons which do similar or the exact same thing and why - because they are under the misconception that more is better.

You said Vuhdo is better than Grid + Clique because it is all in one,
    It is better design, yes. I installed Vuhdo and didn't have to worry about "do I have to install xyz addon to make Vuhdo work properly?" etc.

Less is more when it comes to keeping things simple and practical.

i just wanted to add that for some use Vuhdo is not enough so you still have to use Clique.
    Many people do things wrongly or inefficiently. Again, you are not telling me something new nor surprising.

And I don't really care about memory usage (or performance for that matter as i don't think the clique casting code as any impact) it was just trying to demonstrate that the build in functionnality is not always the best solution for everyone with my limited English skills.
    Sure, if you live in the stone age, any of these "solutions" aren't going to be very useful for you. Is it really so surprising?

I don't really care if someone insists on making their own lives harder than it needs to be; but they should at least know they are doing it wrongly and not spread misinformation - like you and mkultra55 are. It's perfectly okay to be wrong just so as long as it doesn't negatively affect others.
    Last edited by PosPosPos; 2015-02-02 at 02:53 PM.

Deleted
    VuhDo allows me to set "local keys", which I couldn't do with Clique/macros. It freed up quite a bit of space on my keyboard, and was rather useful once I got my new mice too. (Doubling my mouse buttons 4-11 was quite handy. )

Quote Originally Posted by Defekter View Post
    incoming heals dont seem to be shown anymore, group arnt consolidated onto their proper rows.
    Is that it? Mine does that and even shows absorbs on the health bar. For incoming heals you need to make sure the "incoming heals" indicator is on your health bar and then go to the frame settings, make sure "Use indicator color" to ensure that incoming heals are green or whatever the color you have them on by default. This also can be done with absorbs.

As for groups, make sure all your settings on the frame are set "By group" and not "by class".

I just use Grid and mouseover macros. The only thing that ever frustrated me about it was the updates around WoD to the way Indicators were changed.
    I used Vuhdo and Healbot for a bit, but I'm very big on just give me what I want and nothing more, so in a way I think I'm the opposite of PosX3 on this one. I like the ability to have just a basic shell and add in only what I need. Clique also LUA Errored out on me during my first ever raid pull on Magmaw in Cata and I spent the entire fight writing my mouseovers.

If you do still want to use Grid, just list off all the problems and we can figure it out.

Many people do things wrongly or inefficiently. Again, you are not telling me something new nor surprising.
    They use clique + vuhdo cause vuhdo itself doesn't allow you you bind spells to blizzard frame or any other frame you are using.

You can chill now, unless vuhdo its made by you, otherwise no need to enter nerdrage about it. People use what they want to, just accept that.
    Last edited by Mallphas; 2015-02-03 at 02:52 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mallphas View Post
    They use clique + vuhdo cause vuhdo itself doesn't allow you you bind spells to blizzard frame or any other frame you are using.
    Yeah, certainly. If you intend to install 2 raid frames, and use them at the same time, then using clique is better. But... lol.
    Or they want to click their target-frame? But VuhDo has one built in...

Quote Originally Posted by Wanko View Post
    Yeah, certainly. If you intend to install 2 raid frames, and use them at the same time, then using clique is better. But... lol.
    Or they want to click their target-frame? But VuhDo has one built in...
    An addon can do it all. But it doesn't mean that everything it does is good. You can surelly find better and less uggly target-frame addons out there.

Deleted
    An addon can do it all. But it doesn't mean that everything it does is good. You can surelly find better and less uggly target-frame addons out there.
    Why would I need a target frame on my healer setup? (Outside from vote-kicking ppl.) The only time I need one was on Brackenspore, to heal the mushrooms, and for that the VuhDo one was perfect. Outside of that my setup doesn't even has a target or player frame.

I had one ages ago, when I shared to same UI between specs, but after I created a UI just for healing it was outright redundant.

Quote Originally Posted by Wanko View Post
    ...vote-kicking ppl. The only time I need one was on Brackenspore, to heal the mushrooms.
    Just for that.

Deleted
    Just for that.
    Yes. I don't see, how it would be a great idea to:
    1) select on player from my raid frame,
    2) then move my mouse to my target frame,
    3) and after that start clicking them, to actually heal.

Instead of:
    1) using my raid frame.

Obviously, if someone wants to add a otherwise useless frame to their UI, for purely aesthetic reason, then go ahead. But let's not claim, that actively using it is optimal in any way. Especially since VuhDo target frame has at least proper HoT/aura tracking.