Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    "We're Naughty Dog, we're big boys now, we only make big boy mature games now. Cartoony platformers are too childish and are only for little children. We big boys don't like those games anymore". Oh screw you Naughty Dog. You know for a company that has made such amazing games (my favorite of them all being their Jak and Daxter series) I think it was real arrogant and ignorant of them to say something like this. To say "No, I don't, because we've got an amazing team of people making some really expressive performances with our current stable of realistic characters" when asked if he missed the more cartoony games is like saying you don't give a shit about Jak and Daxter or Crash Bandicoot anymore because it's all about realistic games. Those were icons, mascots of Playstation. Naughty Dog became popular pretty much because of them. Uncharted and Last of Us just expanded their popularity. Ugh, this shit pisses me off so much because we're in a generation now where every game that comes out needs to be like some realistic thing with realistic characters with pretty graphics, like some Hollywood movie and anything like Crash or Jak and Daxter is considered too childish, it's utter bullshit and I'm so sick of it. What I find more childish is that fact that people find games like Jak and Crash to be childish because it doesn't have guns, blood, or a drama filled story. "Oh it's because we've grown" no, that's a bullshit excuse for them to not be making "cartoony platformers". Just because you've grown 10-20 years older since those platformer days does not mean you should stop making them and move on to more "grown up" things. This would be like Nintendo not making Mario or Zelda games because they feel like they've grown out of them and feel like they need to make more mature story driven games because everyone is an adult now and therefore require only adult things. I'm sorry for the rant but this kind of shit has been pissing me off since companies like Naughty Dog, Sucker Punch and Insomniac Games has "grown up" and therefore have to make mature games only because their older games have become too childish for this generation or because they've "grown out of it".

Games like Jak and Daxter, Sly Cooper, and Ratchet and Clank are the kind of games that inspired me to want to become a game designer not fucking Uncharted or Last of Us kind of games where the whole game just feels like some interactive movie (not saying I hate these games I think they are awesome well made games). I liked those "cartoony" games because they were creative, had unique, colorful worlds, and interesting, fun, art filled characters. Today all we get are these dark, realistic shooters that are all basically the same damn thing that always take place in the United States or New York more specifically (because you know, it's like the only big city in the world). There's hardly any creativity in games these days compared to the PS2 days where there was ALL kinds games from cartoony/fantasy games to realistic games. Today it's just become a generation of shooters that play as some drama filled action movie and a generation of gamers who think because they are 14 years old games like Crash Bandicoot are boring and childish now because they're a big boy now and they only want to play bloody, realistic, mature games.
    - "If you have a problem figuring out whether you're for me or Trump, then you ain't black" - Jo Bodin, BLM supporter
    - "I got hairy legs that turn blonde in the sun. The kids used to come up and reach in the pool & rub my leg down so it was straight & watch the hair come back up again. So I learned about roaches, I learned about kids jumping on my lap, and I love kids jumping on my lap...” - Pedo Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Geminiwolf View Post

Games like Jak and Daxter, Sly Cooper, and Ratchet and Clank are the kind of games that inspired me to want to become a game designer not fucking Uncharted or Last of Us kind of games where the whole game just feels like some interactive movie (not saying I hate these games I think they are awesome well made games). I liked those "cartoony" games because they were creative, had unique, colorful worlds, and interesting, fun, art filled characters. Today all we get are these dark, realistic shooters that are all basically the same damn thing that always take place in the United States or New York more specifically (because you know, it's like the only big city in the world). There's hardly any creativity in games these days compared to the PS2 days where there was ALL kinds games from cartoony/fantasy games to realistic games. Today it's just become a generation of shooters that play as some drama filled action movie and a generation of gamers who think because they are 14 years old games like Crash Bandicoot are boring and childish now because they're a big boy now and they only want to play bloody, realistic, mature games.
    Just because you don't see them hyped up on twitch doesn't mean they don't exist.

Sony and Nintendo platforms in particular are full of them.

But you know, just because Naughty Dog is doing what they have become means Sony doesn't make games like Puppeteer, Little Big Planet 3, Sly Cooper Thieves in Time, Knack, Ratchet and Clank Into the Nexus, Ratchet and Clank PS4, oh wait nevermind all of those games have come out in the last 2 years(or will be out this year in the case of ratchet & clank PS4) not to mention all of the support the PS3/4/Vita get from Japanese 3rd parties on the front.

It's a waste of Naughty Dog's talents to make games other studios are doing perfectly fine now.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2015-02-05 at 09:49 PM.

well, jak and daxter still shit on crap like uncharted.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackmist View Post
    Skylanders and Lego pretty much have the cartoony platformer market sewn up. It appeals to kids, but the majority of adults will buy the more adult looking games.

Realistic looking graphics and marketing sell games.
    How are the Lego games btw? The Batman and Harry Potter and LotR ones.

Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    This topic is now, apparently, about otters.

Clearly indication that Naughty Dog should make a cartoony platformer game about otters.
    Oh no, what have i done? I have created a monster!
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

10+ Year Old Account
    Wow naughty dog thinking they're the hot shit with "deep character storylines", well as long as they dont look at deus ex.
    Cod has a new campaign, new weapons, new multiplayer levels every year. Zelda has been recycling the same weapons, villains, and dungeons since the 80's. Zelda recycles enough to make cod blush. The same weapons, villains, dungeons, and princess in every single Zelda for the most part. It's almost as cheesy as bowser vs Mario round 35

Seriously The Last of Us and the Uncharted series are garbage.
    Games I'm playing right now (not necessarily literally):
    D3, CS:GO, TF2, Hearthstone
    Hit me up if you wanna play sometime.

Lots of people ITT with a bias against "low art" which is exceptionally funny in a videogame forum.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    well, jak and daxter still shit on crap like uncharted.
    ROFL. You might not like Uncharted (and thats fine!), but calling it shit? What crack are you smoking?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Fexus View Post
    Seriously The Last of Us and the Uncharted series are garbage.
    What makes them garbage?

10+ Year Old Account
    imo uncharted didnt feel interesting, felt like generic 3rd person shooter N°21, TLOU had some nice concepts with the crafting but still 3rd person shooter with "character", the zombie thingy was just ok and well another stealth game :/
    Cod has a new campaign, new weapons, new multiplayer levels every year. Zelda has been recycling the same weapons, villains, and dungeons since the 80's. Zelda recycles enough to make cod blush. The same weapons, villains, dungeons, and princess in every single Zelda for the most part. It's almost as cheesy as bowser vs Mario round 35

Quote Originally Posted by Poppincaps View Post
    Have you played the Last of Us? If you're telling me it would be just as impactful if it was cartoony then you're crazy. You can have a mature story through cartoons, but the stuff like Naughty Dog does? Not really.
    Then what's the point of your statement? Yes, Last of Us might be an exception, but like I said, you can have a mature story through a cartoon game. Which was my point. And Naughty Dog could, this is just like I said, a cop out.

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    Then what's the point of your statement? Yes, Last of Us might be an exception, but like I said, you can have a mature story through a cartoon game. Which was my point. And Naughty Dog could, this is just like I said, a cop out.
    And you can tell a family friendly story with realistic graphics so why isn't Mario some photo realistic Italian dude? Is Nintendo coping out too? You know, maybe it's just the style they want to portray, crazy I know.

Naughty Dog with gritty realistic art > then any studio at it.

Naughty Dog making cartoony games = dime a dozen studio capable of pulling it off. Sony has plenty of studios who can pull it off, they only have one Naughty Dog.

eh jak and dexter is cool but ive always preferred ratchet and clank
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    And you can tell a family friendly story with realistic graphics so why isn't Mario some photo realistic Italian dude? Is Nintendo coping out too? You know, maybe it's just the style they want to portray, crazy I know.

Naughty Dog making cartoony games = dime a dozen studio capable of pulling it off. Sony has plenty of studios who can pull it off, they only have one Naughty Dog.
    Haha no, if you wanna get good graphics point at witcher or crysis.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post

"Anyone can make dumb cartoons. Only skilled pros can make REALISTIC, GOOD GRAPHICS" - a serious opinion that multiple people apparently share.

Quote Originally Posted by barackopala View Post
    Haha no, if you wanna get good graphics point at witcher or crysis.
    Haha, great graphics.

Too bad I was talking about art.

Art work, level design, animations Naughty Dog shit all over Crytek and CDPR and it's not even close. I could care less how pretty a game looks in still screen shots, nobodies character design looks as legit as Naughty Dog's in motion. Bringing up Witcher just brought the lulz right out of me, the series has probably the stiffest and ugliest animations of any AAA game.

Well it's not like cartoony games have ceased to exist, that's just one studio. There's a variety of different game styles out there now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Mahourai View Post
    "Anyone can make dumb cartoons. Only skilled pros can make REALISTIC, GOOD GRAPHICS" - a serious opinion that multiple people apparently share.
    Yea, nice try twisting words.

Here is the reality of the matter.

Media Molecule
    Japan Studio
    Sucker Punch

Can all make stellar cartoony graphics and stories.

Sony has worked with Insomniac, Sumo Digital and Sanzaru in the past as well to make their IPs and both as well make stellar cartoony games.

Pretty much anything Japanese not from the main publishers is exclusive to PS3/4 if it has a console release. They are all anime style games.

So yes, tell me why Naughty Dog needs to make a cartoony game? Sony has plenty, and will always have plenty.

If the point still flies over your head then you need to hit your growth spurt.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackmist View Post
    Skylanders and Lego pretty much have the cartoony platformer market sewn up. It appeals to kids, but the majority of adults will buy the more adult looking games.

Realistic looking graphics and marketing sell games.
    The majority of adults eh? Got a source on that? I'd believe the majority of late teen gamers shop that way, but as an adult I'm more interested in what's fun as far as gaming goes, not what's trying to look the most "real"
    AchaeaKoralin - Are you still out there? | Classic Priest

I'm not seeing the point of all this discussion. "Sony is paying us for non-cartoon games so that's what we have to make." What's the big deal? Doesn't even seem like they have a legitimate choice.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    ...Yes, they can do a mature story while using cartoons, but if they feel like they need to go more towards realism then I trust their judgement. You want to know how the Last of Us originated? It was supposed to be a new Jak and Daxter game but their writers found themselves creating a darker story than what would make sense in the Jak and Daxter universe.

They never said that you can't make a mature story with a cartoony artstyle. What they said is the kind of stories they want to tell, that artstyle wouldn't fit. Which as we've seen from Uncharted and The Last of Us is completely true. Those games wouldn't be the same if they were more cartoony simple as that.