Thread: Frost DPS Help

Frost DPS Help

Good morning,

I've recently been working on my mage and feel Im doing an alright job. I'd like to know what improvements can be made to take this to the next level DPS wise.

Here is a Butcher log from yesterday.

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...pe=damage-done

My general rotation is:

Opening - Pre-pot, drop PC, IV, Orb

With procs I wait for 2 BF to cast either and generally try to have 2 charges of FoF up.

When no procs are up I basically just spam FB.

Also always wait for PC to use Orb unless the bosses health is low enough and I know I cant get another PC in.

Thoughts and help appreciated!

Helps if I say which Mage....Dimmsumm is my mage.

Phaelon
    Last edited by Phaelon; 2015-02-02 at 02:52 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    A few thoughts looking at your armory and briefly at the logs:

- You are missing enchants on one ring and your weapon at a minimum, and one of your enchants is mastery. They should all be multistrike.

- Your Ice Lance damage percentage is very low, which leads me to believe that you are holding onto IL too much and are losing your procs (i.e. you have 2 charges so FoF procs are being lost). Keep in mind that FFB can proc FoF, so always prioritize hitting IL first with 2 charges over BF procs.

- Since the Butcher is a single target fight, you should consider swapping MI for Incanter's Flow (or maybe even Rune of Power since the fight doesn't have much movement) if you want to maximize your damage.

- If you are trying to compare yourself to Sickrack, keep in mind that he is 24 ilvl above you and is correctly enchanted.

Thanks for the input. I havent enchanted the weapon due to cost in hopes of getting an upgrade but will look into it now. I'll also get MS on the rings and anything else at this point too.

Definetly handling FFB incorrectly by holding it, thats an easy fix for me.

Wasnt really comparing my numbers to Sickrack as I knew he had me outgeared but I was trying to stay as close as possible to him for this fight.

Thanks again for the feedback!

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    To be honest, there really isn't a lot of reason to hold on to FB or FoF procs unless Icy Veins or PC is coming off cooldown very soon. Once I start hitting IL or FFB, I usually drain the charges...you might be surprised how often FoF procs in rapid succession.

Enjoy!

For single target in your specific gear (and I'm fairly certain for most people), Ice Nova/Mirror Images or RoP/Prismatic Crystal are your best bet. I went ahead and sim'd it for you in your specific gear to double check and was correct. [IN/MI or RoP/PC] is about a 1000 DPS increase from the build you're logged out in.
    It looks like you wasted at least 6 FFB's and 4 Ice Lances. FFB has a very very high DPET, so make sure you're not wasting that many of them.
    You also only used 4 Frost orbs, but it looks like you're syncing them with PC which is acceptable and sims to be a DPS increase.

Do you have Water Jet on auto cast? Your FoF procs look really low to me. On fights that were more than a minute shorter I was at between 35-41 FoF to your 28. If you have that on auto cast I would suggest binding it to a key and do your best to get 2 FoF out of each and every one. The wasted FFB's are contributing to the lack of procs, but I'm just double checking you don't have it on Auto Cast.

1: Switch talents
    2: Waste less procs
    3: Get more FoF(Water Jet/FFBs) if possible.

Mage on my friend!

Good morning Outcold,

Thanks for the input. You are correct, I was holding orbs for PC. I was holding procs to get two of each, so that probably lead to wasted procs.

yes, I dont have anything controlling water jet, just the pet does it whenever. How do I get that set so I can control the cast of it?

Make a macro that says this:

#showtooltip
    /cast Water Jet

That should be a pretty significant FoF increase for you. You should be able to get 2 Frostbolts in per Water Jet. Remember you can start casting the Water Jet while you're mid cast on Frostbolt.

Nvm. I was mistaken

Respec unstable magic to either nova or frost bomb

I use bomb, it's almost identical DPS to nova but works better on multi target fights if you do it right.

if you're not used to PC, i can't suggest using it... I've never used it on frost at least, it's just not worth it imo. one mistake and it's a DPS loss. i have no issues doing 32-33k odd without it at 671-672ilvl.

Should I creat a stop casting macro within ice lance to stop casting FB if a second FoF Procs as to not waste a possible proc?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Soulja35 View Post
    Should I creat a stop casting macro within ice lance to stop casting FB if a second FoF Procs as to not waste a possible proc?
    Only if you have PC with an Orb rolling should you do that. Your frostbolt will still have a chance to trigger FFB and you lose the most likely halfway casted FB with GCD in mind and all. The only reason to stop casting FB during PC/FO is because of the high proc rate of FoF and FFB doing much less damage due to splitting ice.