Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Optimized for WoW

I did a quick search and didn't see anything about optimizing a PC for WoW.

Are there settings for the CPU, the Graphics card, or the MoBo that would allow WoW to run more efficiently?

I currently have the following PC setup and have done nothing to optimize it:

CoolerMaster Thermal Fusion 400 Extreme Performance CPU - Thermal Compound Optimized for Thermal Dissipation
    CASE: Apevia X-Dreamer 3 Mid-Tower Gaming Case w/ Side-Panel Window & Temperature Display (Black Color with Black Ring & Blue LED Fan)
    CPU: [Special] Intel(R) Core™ i7-950 3.06 GHz 8M Intel Smart Cache LGA1366
    FAN: Asetek 510LC Liquid Cooling System 120MM Radiator & Fan (Enhanced Cooling Performance + Extreme Silent at 20dBA)
    SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB
    HDD: 1TB SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 64MB Cache 7200RPM HDD
    MEMORY: 6GB (2GBx3) DDR3/1600MHz Triple Channel Memory Module (Corsair or Major Brand)
    MONITOR: 24" Dell 1920x1080
    MONITOR2: 22" Widescreen 1920x1080 Sceptre
    MOTHERBOARD: * (3-Way SLI Support) GigaByte GA-X58A-UD3R Intel X58 Chipset SLI/CrossFireX Ultra Durable™3 Triple-Channel DDR3/1600 ATX Mainboard w/ 7.1 Dolby Audio, eSATA, GbLAN, USB3.0, 2 x SATA-III RAID, IEEE1394a, 4 Gen2 PCIe, 2 PCIe X1 & 1 PCI
    NETWORK: Killer Xeno Pro Gigabit High Speed Online Gaming PCI Network Interface Card
    POWERSUPPLY: * 800 Watts - XtremeGear Gaming Power Supply - Quad SLI Ready
    SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
    VIDEO: Zotac - NVIDIA GeForce GT 740 LP 2GB DDR3 PCI Express Graphics Card

Thanks for any help.
    Don't be elitist, it's a video game for crying out loud. Cure cancer, then you can be an asshole.

Quote Originally Posted by Damien36 View Post
    I did a quick search and didn't see anything about optimizing a PC for WoW.

Are there settings for the CPU, the Graphics card, or the MoBo that would allow WoW to run more efficiently?

I currently have the following PC setup and have done nothing to optimize it:

CoolerMaster Thermal Fusion 400 Extreme Performance CPU - Thermal Compound Optimized for Thermal Dissipation
    CASE: Apevia X-Dreamer 3 Mid-Tower Gaming Case w/ Side-Panel Window & Temperature Display (Black Color with Black Ring & Blue LED Fan)
    CPU: [Special] Intel(R) Core™ i7-950 3.06 GHz 8M Intel Smart Cache LGA1366
    FAN: Asetek 510LC Liquid Cooling System 120MM Radiator & Fan (Enhanced Cooling Performance + Extreme Silent at 20dBA)
    SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB
    HDD: 1TB SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 64MB Cache 7200RPM HDD
    MEMORY: 6GB (2GBx3) DDR3/1600MHz Triple Channel Memory Module (Corsair or Major Brand)
    MONITOR: 24" Dell 1920x1080
    MONITOR2: 22" Widescreen 1920x1080 Sceptre
    MOTHERBOARD: * (3-Way SLI Support) GigaByte GA-X58A-UD3R Intel X58 Chipset SLI/CrossFireX Ultra Durable™3 Triple-Channel DDR3/1600 ATX Mainboard w/ 7.1 Dolby Audio, eSATA, GbLAN, USB3.0, 2 x SATA-III RAID, IEEE1394a, 4 Gen2 PCIe, 2 PCIe X1 & 1 PCI
    NETWORK: Killer Xeno Pro Gigabit High Speed Online Gaming PCI Network Interface Card
    POWERSUPPLY: * 800 Watts - XtremeGear Gaming Power Supply - Quad SLI Ready
    SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
    VIDEO: Zotac - NVIDIA GeForce GT 740 LP 2GB DDR3 PCI Express Graphics Card

Thanks for any help.
    Everything else is fine. Just get a 970, and your system should be pretty good. The 740 was really woeful even during its time, so you should notice a huge difference.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814487088

You could future-proof and get a 980, or wait for AMD's next generation and see if prices drop/see how benchmarks hold up.
    Last edited by ayako; 2015-02-06 at 08:10 PM.

Please dont listen to the person above, you dont need to spend that kind of money to get a solid experience in WoW. While WoW is more affected by CPU performance, the weakest link in your PC is your graphics card.

This is all you need to spend:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-349-_-Product

Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    Please dont listen to the person above, you dont need to spend that kind of money to get a solid experience in WoW. While WoW is more affected by CPU performance, the weakest link in your PC is your graphics card.

Why would you spend 150$ for a minimal upgrade?

Also OP what budget are you working with? I'm thinking you can keep whatever GFX card you buy now for the next computer overhaul where you get new Ram/Proc/MB.

10+ Year Old Account

Spending $130 on a card that'll only provide about a 10% boost is idiotic. While the 750 ti isn't a bad card he'll end up in the same situation in the future. It's always better to buy a higher end card now and have more performance for longer.
    Intel Core i7 5820K @ 4.2GHz | Asus X99 Deluxe Motherboard | 16GB Crucial DDR4 2133 | MSI GTX 980 4G GAMING | Corsair HX750 Gold | 500GB Samsung 840 EVO

I wasn't looking to buy a 970. I just bought the 740 today to replace a malfunctioning GTX465 that was causing my PC to crash and freezing in the middle of raid. I know WoW is more CPU centric than most games and that is why I was looking for the settings/tweaks to optimize my system. I can take the 740 back and replace it, but I'd rather not spend more than $130. Any other ideas to help improve my fps? I was running 40-45 in 25m raids on the GTX465. I figured the 740 may drop me down some, but not horribly.
    Don't be elitist, it's a video game for crying out loud. Cure cancer, then you can be an asshole.

Is that thing overclocked? With enthusiast thermal paste and water cooling, you should be able to crank it up.

The 740? No, just bought it off the shelf for a quick check to see if my PC crash problems were video card related. They are.

Quote Originally Posted by Damien36 View Post
    The 740? No, just bought it off the shelf for a quick check to see if my PC crash problems were video card related. They are.
    I'd suggest getting a 960 at minimum (200$).

But if you want to just play WoW/don't plan to turn up settings or anything you can make do with http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814202090

Last edited by ayako; 2015-02-06 at 09:52 PM.

Thats very odd, i used to have a gtx 465 and it played WoW great. In fact, when i upgraded to a gtx 760 (twice as fast on paper) i couldnt even tell a difference. It is more likely your PC is simply running poorly, have you tried a fresh OS install? OR trying WoW at default with no addons enabled? WoW does not require much GPU, but you actually made a downgrade with a gt 740, its not a gaming grade graphics card, where the 750ti is. The person above who said a 750ti is only 10% faster than a 740 is way off, im not sure what the exact numbers are because its hard to find gt 740 benchmarks but considering the gt 740 has 384 cuda cores vs the 640 in the 750ti its gonna be close to 50% faster even before you figure in the fact the 750 ti has gpu boost.

These people telling you to spend hundreds of dollars on a GPU for WoW are off their rockers, if i were you i would first diagnose any problems with your PC and/or do a fresh OS install *(this almost always alleviates any issues you are having). If you are still unimpressed with your performance in WoW after that imo its worth returning the 740 for a 750ti, it should only be another 60 bucks or so to upgrade.

Thats very odd, i used to have a gtx 465 and it played WoW great. In fact, when i upgraded to a gtx 760 (twice as fast on paper) i couldnt even tell a difference. It is more likely your PC is simply running poorly, have you tried a fresh OS install? OR trying WoW at default with no addons enabled? WoW does not require much GPU, but you actually made a downgrade with a gt 740, its not a gaming grade graphics card, where the 750ti is. The person above who said a 750ti is only 10% faster than a 740 is way off, im not sure what the exact numbers are because its hard to find gt 740 benchmarks but considering the gt 740 has 384 cuda cores vs the 640 in the 750ti its gonna be close to 50% faster even before you figure in the fact the 750 ti has gpu boost.

These people telling you to spend hundreds of dollars on a GPU for WoW are off their rockers, if i were you i would first diagnose any problems with your PC and/or do a fresh OS install *(this almost always alleviates any issues you are having). If you are still unimpressed with your performance in WoW after that imo its worth returning the 740 for a 750ti, it should only be another 60 bucks or so to upgrade.
    see

I wasn't looking to buy a 970. I just bought the 740 today to replace a malfunctioning GTX465 that was causing my PC to crash and freezing in the middle of raid. I know WoW is more CPU centric than most games and that is why I was looking for the settings/tweaks to optimize my system. I can take the 740 back and replace it, but I'd rather not spend more than $130. Any other ideas to help improve my fps? I was running 40-45 in 25m raids on the GTX465. I figured the 740 may drop me down some, but not horribly.
    His GPU is broken so he needs an actual replacement. We've offered a few viable suggestions, as the 740 isn't a good option.

GTX 750Ti is a good option though, especially for that budget.

Quote Originally Posted by ayako View Post
    see

His GPU is broken so he needs an actual replacement. We've offered a few viable suggestions, as the 740 isn't a good option.

Umm what, i have been suggesting the 750ti from the get go. Gt 740 is a downgrade from his 465, 750ti is quite a decent upgrade. (especially for his power bill) One other suggesting id like to make is dont run WoW on ultra, i have ran into several bugs with the ultra preset (both on my 465 and 760) that are not present on the high preset, they look almost identical anyways. Ive also found setting AA to FXAA High to be the best performance/resource cost, at least until patch 6.1.

Umm what, i have been suggesting the 750ti from the get go. Gt 740 is a downgrade from his 465, 750ti is quite a decent upgrade. (especially for his power bill) One other suggesting id like to make is dont run WoW on ultra, i have ran into several bugs with the ultra preset (both on my 465 and 760) that are not present on the high preset, they look almost identical anyways. Ive also found setting AA to FXAA High to be the best performance/resource cost, at least until patch 6.1.
    It's a bad deal especially for WoW, did you see the benchmark I linked? 265 or 270 would be better for WoW.

10+ Year Old Account
    Intel Core i7 5820K @ 4.2GHz | Asus X99 Deluxe Motherboard | 16GB Crucial DDR4 2133 | MSI GTX 980 4G GAMING | Corsair HX750 Gold | 500GB Samsung 840 EVO

Deleted
    What kind of bugs are you talking about? How come the rest of us don't have them?

If you were playing other games for around 130$ the R9 270 is alot better than a 750ti, but wow doesn't run so well on amd cards ><

So i would say either get a gtx750ti or jump straight for gtx960. If you can stretch it the 960 will be a better invesment in the long run. A gtx 750ti won't be an okish card for long especially if you going to play any fps/shooters.
    Last edited by mmoc73263b3bd5; 2015-02-06 at 10:33 PM.

If you have played WoW for any appreciable amount of time you know that benchmark is hogwash lol. You cannot reliably benchmark WoW, and even the numbers in that chart are highly questionable. Where did they do the benchmark? It CLEARLY was not in a raid environment or any place where CPU matters. On top of that, a 750 ti only getting 57 fps, what? Lets assume its from flight path to flight path, i could take any FP in the entire world of WoW and my 465 would never go under 60 fps vsync (my 465 is a fair bit slower than a 750ti), in fact out in the jade forest where GPU actually matters a little bit, my 465 got around 90-100 FPS and my 760 only got 120ish fps. Either way the differences were unnoticeable to me unless i looked at the FPS counter. I really hope the OP does not buy into your benchmark, cause according to that chart a 760 will get double the fps of a 750ti, in reality thats no where close to true.

Deleted
    Wow wait, we are talking about WoD here, sorry, different thing what you did last year. You know my rig specs, mythic or hc with 25-30ppl there like a fight or two that i will get even for a sec below 60fps (on ultra). So i have hard time believing you would have the same experience with a 465. Its impossible, but nice jokes.

We done this discussion a million times. WoD is nicer to the cpu than before but now it takes advantage more of better gpu's. Maybe not a 970 but yeah a 960 will be far better - no contest to a gtx 750ti.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you have played WoW for any appreciable amount of time you know that benchmark is hogwash lol. You cannot reliably benchmark WoW, and even the numbers in that chart are highly questionable. Where did they do the benchmark? It CLEARLY was not in a raid environment or any place where CPU matters. On top of that, a 750 ti only getting 57 fps, what? Lets assume its from flight path to flight path, i could take any FP in the entire world of WoW and my 465 would never go under 60 fps vsync (my 465 is a fair bit slower than a 750ti), in fact out in the jade forest where GPU actually matters a little bit, my 465 got around 90-100 FPS and my 760 only got 120ish fps. Either way the differences were unnoticeable to me unless i looked at the FPS counter. I really hope the OP does not buy into your benchmark, cause according to that chart a 760 will get double the fps of a 750ti, in reality thats no where close to true.

Well, theoretically specs wise being that the GTX 750 Ti and GTX 960 are both Maxwell, the 960 won't get twice as much being that its GPU specifications aren't actually twice as much :P (Not that that's how you determine performance).

AMD's currently offer more performance for the $ in the lower tiered graphics cards.

Quote Originally Posted by Kostattoo View Post
    Wow wait, we are talking about WoD here, sorry, different thing what you did last year. You know my rig specs, mythic or hc with 25-30ppl there like a fight or two that i will get even for a sec below 60fps (on ultra). So i have hard time believeing you would have the same experience with a 465. Its impossible, but nice jokes.
    You didn't read my post correctly. That benchmark the person linked above was clearly not performed in any raid-type scenario, because as we all know GPU matters very very little and yet they show a massive FPS jump from a 750ti to a 760. I know first hand how little a GPU matter, i can throw my 465 back into my PC and get the same FPS i do with my 760 in a large raid scenario (again, of course limited by CPU and WoW's aging engine). Yes you can see FPS gains by upgrading GPU in some spots in WoW, mainly just out in the open world questing, but not to the degree that benchmark is claiming.

And your experience with the 35-40 FPS in a raid, THAT is what im talking about with the ultra preset. Drop down to high preset, outside of very rare scenarios (world bosses in WoD for example) you will almost never drop below 60 FPS vsync, even in large raids.