Page 1 of 17
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

GM throws the gauntlet down at Tesla

GM is releasing a new $30,000 200 mile range fully electric vehicle in 2017 called the Chevy Bolt. This looks like it would be in direct competition with the ~$30k 200 mile range Tesla Model 3.

http://www.latimes.com/business/auto...211-story.html

My guess is that the Chevy will beat the Tesla to market and will be a bit cheaper and probably have more cargo space, but the Tesla will be more luxurious and probably a bit higher tech. GM also has the existing plant capacity to build large numbers, while Tesla will struggle to ramp up in the time frame they've mentioned.

If I had to choose one to support, I'd still go with Tesla, simply because they're the ones trying to push the industry forward, while GM is kind of being dragged along. Still, they're ahead of most of their competitors, so that's a positive for them.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

GM had a big year last year, IIRC.

Doesn't look like it's designed to compete with the Tesla.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Cybran View Post
    someone finally gets it.
    i7-6700k @ 4.4ghz \ EVGA GTX 1080 FTW \ MSI z170a Carbon \ corsair hx 850 mod \ 16gb savage 2666 \ 4tb raid 1 wd black \ 256gb 600p m.2pcie
    HakudoshiFarsaj

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    GM had a big year last year, IIRC.

Doesn't look like it's designed to compete with the Tesla.
    Not in the sexiness department, no, but in the fact that it's a 200 mile range full electric at the same price point as the Model 3, yes.

Personally, I'd prefer something more low slung. I'm not a fan of the high seating options common in small SUVs, which is what this feels like to me. On the other hand, I like the full top sun roof and it looks like there's a ton of seating space in the back.

10+ Year Old Account
    good, could use more competition in the electric car market.

10+ Year Old Account
    Lakeland, FL or the Temple of Atal Hakkar
    Well, I was holding off on getting a new car till the Tesla came out. I guess I will have to wait and see which one is better, but I will still probably go with the Tesla.
    Proud Troll player.

Tesla competes with BMW , Merc and that "level" of car.
    The fit and finish,interiors and materials used in a Tesla are of a different quality level than the GM car.

I wouldn't call it a direct competition or apples to apples comparison.
    Unless you are going to the most basic of comps. It gets me from point A to Point B.
    THen..

That being said.
    I am glad to see so many new drive systems coming to the market now.

Options are not a bad thing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by enragedgorilla View Post
    Tesla competes with BMW , Merc and that "level" of car.
    The fit and finish,interiors and materials used in a Tesla are of a different quality level than the GM car.

I wouldn't call it a direct competition or apples to apples comparison.

That being said.
    I am glad to see so many new drive systems coming to the market now.

Options are not a bad thing.
    Well we don't know what the Model 3 will be like yet in terms of materials, finish, etc. It could be in the BMW, Mercedes range or it could be in the GM range. I doubt it will feel like a GM car, but at the price point they're choosing, I doubt it'll be all that high end either.

If it's as realiable as any other GM models, it will be crap.

If GM tries to compete at the same price point, Tesla is going to win.
    While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.

GM is hardly being dragged along. You see, the problem with an all electric car is that they are simply not feasible in the vast majority of the world. Its why a car like the Chevy Volt is light years ahead of Tesla. A current Tesla car can go like 100 miles without needing plugged in. Try taking that on a cross country trip or even a day trip. Its just not feasible. The Volt has a backup engine while relying more on electric (its an electric hybrid and the only real electric hybrid). Most other hybrids rely mostly on the gasoline engine to power the vehicle. GM will nail Tesla with this. That being said, Tesla is an amazing car if you never drive more than 100 miles in any day.
    "The round, metal cooking utensil referring to the larger, cookware customarily used for, but not limited to, stews, as being of a dark shade or possibly of African descent." ~~ Fixed for now. But keep in mind any one of the words used in that fix may become politically incorrect or offensive at any moment for any reason. Further amendments may be required to prevent frivolous lawsuits in the future.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukh View Post
    If GM tries to compete at the same price point, Tesla is going to win.
    If Tesla and GM can both put out enough vehicles to meet demand, maybe. But GM has the production capacity and Tesla doesn't.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Daez View Post
    GM is hardly being dragged along. You see, the problem with an all electric car is that they are simply not feasible in the vast majority of the world. Its why a car like the Chevy Volt is light years ahead of Tesla. A current Tesla car can go like 100 miles without needing plugged in. Try taking that on a cross country trip or even a day trip. Its just not feasible. The Volt has a backup engine while relying more on electric (its an electric hybrid and the only real electric hybrid). Most other hybrids rely mostly on the gasoline engine to power the vehicle. GM will nail Tesla with this. That being said, Tesla is an amazing car if you never drive more than 100 miles in any day.
    Get your facts right. It's ~240 miles on a charge, not 100, and there are fast charging stations between all the major cities in the US and many cities in Europe where you can get 50% of a charge in 20 minutes, just enough time to grab some coffee and use the restroom.

And the vast majority of people don't drive 240 miles in a day except in special cases.
    Last edited by Reeve; 2015-02-12 at 04:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    Not in the sexiness department, no, but in the fact that it's a 200 mile range full electric at the same price point as the Model 3, yes.

Personally, I'd prefer something more low slung. I'm not a fan of the high seating options common in small SUVs, which is what this feels like to me. On the other hand, I like the full top sun roof and it looks like there's a ton of seating space in the back.
    Actually, it reminds me more of the Chevrolet Sonic, and that is a great car in both driving style and comfort.
    "The round, metal cooking utensil referring to the larger, cookware customarily used for, but not limited to, stews, as being of a dark shade or possibly of African descent." ~~ Fixed for now. But keep in mind any one of the words used in that fix may become politically incorrect or offensive at any moment for any reason. Further amendments may be required to prevent frivolous lawsuits in the future.

I thought Tesla's goal was to have their charger network in place, then release a budget model? For now, the expensive sexy Tesla models are to attract attention.

Or maybe I'm wrong...

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daez View Post
    Actually, it reminds me more of the Chevrolet Sonic, and that is a great car in both driving style and comfort.
    I think it's on the same frame as the Sonic.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    I thought Tesla's goal was to have their charger network in place, then release a budget model? For now, the expensive sexy Tesla models are to attract attention.

Or maybe I'm wrong...
    They are planning to release a budget model, the Model 3, which has a $30k price tag and a 200 mile range, same as the Chevy Bolt.

Deleted
    I think people should also take into account the name of Tesla and it's brilliant marketing. Here in Europe, I personally only hear good things about Tesla and the last thing I remember about GM is Layoffs, Bail outs and other negativity.

If Tesla was afraid of competition they wouldn't have released their patents.

If Tesla and GM can both put out enough vehicles to meet demand, maybe. But GM has the production capacity and Tesla doesn't.
    Tesla can make ~20,000 roadsters a year. If they're worried about capacity, they're a mad success and will definitely be expanding production.
    While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.

Quote Originally Posted by powerstuck View Post
    If it's as realiable as any other GM models, it will be crap.
    Oh, you must mean the Cruise (one of the most reliable and best selling cars world wide).

Oh wait, no you must mean the Impala (one of the best reviewed cars currently on the market).

The Camaro (one of the most popular sports cars)?

The Equinox (one of the best small range SUVs)?

The Sonic (the only 5 star economy car offered that is fun as hell to drive)?

I'm confused, unless of course you are simply talking out of your arse. There is a reason GM made a HUGE comeback after the bankruptcy.

- - - Updated - - -

Well we don't know what the Model 3 will be like yet in terms of materials, finish, etc. It could be in the BMW, Mercedes range or it could be in the GM range. I doubt it will feel like a GM car, but at the price point they're choosing, I doubt it'll be all that high end either.
    It will probably look like the Lexus 200H... Lexus in name only. This new car will probably be Tesla in name only, and it will probably be very obvious that is the case.