Titan
    10+ Year Old Account

Looking to switch GFX, but will it really do much?

Say, I have an i7-2700 3.5Ghz, 16 gigs of Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz and running 2x7950's.
    Would the rest of my PC be a bottleneck if I got a new single card GPU from the new generation or would it get worse?

I'm looking at the current generation of cards and I'm thinking that these old babies, even if in Crossfire, might not be better than one of the mid-range single cards today.

A 7950 IS a current card lol. (see radeon r9 280).

If i were you id sell one of em and just use a single card, crossfire/sli has never and will never work as good as a single card does. Of course if you are playing at silly high resolutions with AAA titles you need that kind of horsepower to get acceptable fps.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    A 7950 IS a current card lol. (see radeon r9 280).

If i were you id sell one of em and just use a single card, crossfire/sli has never and will never work as good as a single card does. Of course if you are playing at silly high resolutions with AAA titles you need that kind of horsepower to get acceptable fps.
    This rig is like, 5 years old. This isn't current at all. If I'm reading benchmarks correctly, the 7900's cards are like half the FPS of the newer 970's.

crossfire/sli has never and will never work as good as a single card does. Of course if you are playing at silly high resolutions with AAA titles you need that kind of horsepower to get acceptable fps.
    Never? I think you might be underplaying crossfire/sli, sure in most cases it may make little to no difference or not function all that well but as you said at higher resolutions they do make difference and as more developers start to take advantage of the tech it could only get better.
    3DS Friend Code: 1891-2236-0134

Quote Originally Posted by Noomz View Post
    This rig is like, 5 years old. This isn't current at all. If I'm reading benchmarks correctly, the 7900's cards are like half the FPS of the newer 970's.
    AMD has done nothing for 5 years, they are just re-branding cards. Im serious, your card is a CURRENT card in the radeon r9-280:

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/gra...iew-feat-xfx/1

From the review:
    Despite being announced a while ago with little fanfare, the R9 280 (a rework of the HD 7950 Boost) is fairly new to the market

The only new cards AMD has made since then are the R9 290 series. Your 7950 is faster than the just released gtx 960.

Deleted
    AMD has done nothing for 5 years, they are just re-branding cards.
    Exaggerating a bit there. The 79xx series launched in December 2011/January 2012. So one could say 3 years at the most. And it is not like Nvidia did the same thing. They are just one series ahead at the moment.

As for OP. I think that going to a 970/290x would only be a sidegrade. If you don't have any issues with crossfire, I wouldnt get a new card. If you want to get better performance you would have to go for either crossfire 290(x) or SLI 970.

And no, nothing would be a bottleneck in your system.

Well OP said he built his PC 5 years ago so i just went with that lol, 5 years did sound a bit long ago for the 7900 series.

Deleted
    Well OP said he built his PC 5 years ago so i just went with that lol, 5 years did sound a bit long ago for the 7900 series.
    Just looked up the release date of the 2700k, his rig is most likely 3 years old
    Time flies, it seems my 2500k rig is also way older than it really is.