Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Your daily ISIS dose

No no, relax, this time it isn't ISIS chopping off someone's head off...or maybe it is!

http://news.nationalpost.com/2015/02...ing-artifacts/

Or just google Mosul Museum attack.

Came across this 5mins ago through an archaeology page on FB.

It wasn't enough that these extremists were, you now, barbarians with the whole decapitation thing, now they went into a musem and just started wrecking priceless artefacts apart. (yes im aware that making the 2nd thing to be worse than chopping someone's head)

According to the museum's Wiki page, it was looted in the 03 Iraq war and rebuilt later. In 2014, when ISIS took over Mosul, it threaneted to destroy the museum's collection because it goes agaisnt Islam (whatever that means).

There's also some sites reporting that they've burned collection of books numbering in the thousands.

Why, you may be wondering? Heresy...

I find this "The so-called Assyrians and Akkadians and others looked to gods for war, agriculture and rain to whom they offered sacrifices" particular passage to be quite ironic.

This thread is in no way meant to criticize the religion of Islam, but the people, as extremists, take their message too far.

Deleted
    Officially bored of ISIS

Its just so blatantly dumb-headed to think that people being able to learn about other cultures and history somehow equates to heresy. Straight out of the european dark ages. A cult like IS has to control every aspect of knowledge of its members though. Sort of like North Korea.
    While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.

10+ Year Old Account
    the cave people are back at it again eh?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukh View Post
    Its just so blatantly dumb-headed to think that people being able to learn about other cultures and history somehow equates to heresy. Straight out of the european dark ages. A cult like IS has to control every aspect of knowledge of its members though. Sort of like North Korea.
    Hey, at least they "admit" there were other cultures before theirs.

As an archaeolagist, this irked me a bit.

At what point do you start calling this a fascist movement? It's nationalism at it's extreme, the macho-ness is there, the violence.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    At what point do you start calling this a fascist movement? It's nationalism at it's extreme, the macho-ness is there, the violence.
    Fascist has a pretty specific meaning. It does aim for a state identity. It does have fairly totalitarian control, but fascism is a specific ideology. A movement can have a lot of the characteristics of fascism but not be based on or adhering to the ideology of fascism.

On the other hand, if we're just looking for scary words to label them with, I think radical fundamentalist butchers is sufficient.
    While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's ok, at some point the sand-people that call themselves ISIL will go back so far on culture and technology, that they'll forget how to use weapons and we'll just come in and clean up.

10+ Year Old Account
    So many cultures thrived on destroying art and literature :S

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Islamism is not nationalism, it's blind religious stupidity.

Deleted
    I've always wondered why terrorist organizations didn't try to destroy priceless and culturally significant sites and objects if they wanted to create a storm, considering how unprotected some of these places are. If they wanted to blow Stonehenge to smithereens, I highly doubt anyone at the site would be able to contest it and as far as museums go, their protection is to stop theft, not destruction.

10+ Year Old Account
    I want to know more why they don't just proceed to sell them on the black market, since there have been reports of them doing so. But, no, we need to send a message so lets wreck some priceless historical pieces.

Thousands years of history perished by the hands of savages with single digit IQ.

This is just sad.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Felfury View Post
    I've always wondered why terrorist organizations didn't try to destroy priceless and culturally significant sites and objects if they wanted to create a storm, considering how unprotected some of these places are. If they wanted to blow Stonehenge to smithereens, I highly doubt anyone at the site would be able to contest it and as far as museums go, their protection is to stop theft, not destruction.
    Shh, those sort of people don't have the brain power to do something like that so don't give them ideas :S

Get rid of evidence of the past, you can rewrite it without pesky "evidence" getting in the way.
    Scholars? They die...or "Get dead"
    Then you have a clean slate to tell the "un-washed,un-educated masses" your version of how "sky man" judges you at all times.

Deleted
    Allah is proud of them.

Deleted
    Just goes to prove what dumb fucks they are

"hey we have all this priceless art that is against our faith! Burn it"
    instead of
    "Hey, we need funds, Lets sell this art to people who will buy it"

Every time I open one of their videos, I hear this "eeeeeh, aaaaah, gnuhaaaaa aleehiiiiii, moahujadalehiiiiiii" and I immediately have to throw my headphones away in disgust.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
    Just goes to prove what dumb fucks they are

"hey we have all this priceless art that is against our faith! Burn it"
    instead of
    "Hey, we need funds, Lets sell this art to people who will buy it"
    They go on mass murder sprees because they think they'll get rewarded for it in heaven. Logical thinking isn't their strong suit.
    Last edited by mmoc929869f8d6; 2015-02-26 at 05:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frozenbeef View Post
    Shh, those sort of people don't have the brain power to do something like that so don't give them ideas :S
    Dehumanization is exactly the thing that lets groups like this thrive. Its easy to justify killing "those" people. They're monsters and idiots and animals. All they care about is killing anyone who doesn't follow their beliefs with cruise missiles and proxy wars.