10+ Year Old Account

Question Tier off World Bosses? Why Design Shift

Something struck me earlier as i was killing the new world boss Rukhmar.

This is the first time since the introduction of VOA in WoTLK where there is no world boss that drops tier legs/gloves. Why did blizzard decide to shift away from this design?

WoTLK = VoA
    Cata = Baradin Hold
    MoP = different world bosses each tier
    WoD = Nothing!
    Last edited by Sierra85; 2015-02-27 at 12:41 PM.
    Hi

Erm, VoA and Baradin Hold weren't world bosses, those were raids??? A world boss is something that spawns in the world.

Anyway my best guess is they want people raiding since we have four tiers of difficulty. Tier doesn't even drop in LFR anymore, either. LFR has its own crappy item sets with generic bonuses. They want you to push into higher difficulties for those rewards now. Kinda bummed about it myself.

Deleted
    I'd say it is part of the same philosophy where they vastly nerfed LFR compared to mop (there's no tier in LFR anymore either) and try to push people towards flex/normal mode raiding. Tier gear acts as a nice incentive for people to try real raids.

The intent was probably to drive players into raid content; that tier pieces are out there, "lost," in the deep-dug hoards of monsters and caches of warlords. Stuff like that.

I think it has merits. Personally, though, I miss "public" bosses with tier and I miss VoA specifically. Vault brought different players (or players on different characters) into one activity a few times a day, with a big enough loot incentive to organize laid-back, lowest common denominator raid groups.

The 'Vons and Wintergrasp made up one thing you could log in for that involved some social interaction. Mists' throwback world bosses was a cool idea but didn't provide a convenient enough funnel to motivate players to congregate. Draenor's world bosses, I imagine, don't see as much activity insofar as they're remote and lacking in rewards that last through a tier.
    Last edited by Celarent; 2015-02-27 at 12:59 PM. Reason: Need coffee.

Quote Originally Posted by Zulbukh View Post
    I'd say it is part of the same philosophy where they vastly nerfed LFR compared to mop (there's no tier in LFR anymore either) and try to push people towards flex/normal mode raiding. Tier gear acts as a nice incentive for people to try real raids.
    Not true. You can actually coin Tier Pieces off of LFR bosses with the Bonus Roll, which makes it even wierder. My druid got Tier Pants off of LFR Furnace on the first week it was open.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by baddog66 View Post
    World bosses are now basically worthless cansidering the pain it takes to get teh group together and kill them.
    What? Throw up a group in the cross realm LFG tool. Kill boss 10 minutes later. How exacctly is that a "pain". It is so easy to kill them it practically borders on trivial these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Surfd View Post
    Not true. You can actually coin Tier Pieces off of LFR bosses with the Bonus Roll, which makes it even wierder. My druid got Tier Pants off of LFR Furnace on the first week it was open.

- - - Updated - - -

What? Throw up a group in the cross realm LFG tool. Kill boss 10 minutes later. How exacctly is that a "pain". It is so easy to kill them it practically borders on trivial these days.
    LFR tier is not the same as "real" tier.
    Did you think we had forgotten? Did you think we had forgiven? Behold, now, the terrible vengeance of the Forsaken!

- - - Updated - - -

Actually LFR tier is not a tier people speak about.

You can actually coin Tier Pieces off of LFR bosses with the Bonus Roll
    is this true ? are you talking about 665 Normal Tier pieces from a LFR bonus roll ? or the nerfed LFR special Tier set with generic bad bonuses (either 650 or 655 it was) ?

Quote Originally Posted by Life-Binder View Post
    is this true ? are you talking about 665 Normal Tier pieces from a LFR bonus roll ? or the nerfed LFR special Tier set with generic bad bonuses (either 650 or 655 it was) ?
    LFR tier is 655. If he did indeed coin a 665 tier from LFR, it's not intended. But I don't think he is saying that he did. Pretty sure he is confusing T17 with T-LFR.
    Did you think we had forgotten? Did you think we had forgiven? Behold, now, the terrible vengeance of the Forsaken!

15+ Year Old Account
    Why?
    Getting tier pieces should require BIT of effort atleast, killing and worldboss requires non
    PROUD TRUMP SUPPORTER, #2024Trump #MAGA
    PROUD TRUMP CAMPAIGN SUPPORTER #SaveEuropeWithTrump
    PROUD SUPPORTER OF THE WALL
    BLUE LIVES MATTER
    NO TO ALL GUNCONTROL OR BACKGROUND CHECKS IN EUROPE
    /s

Not gonna give you tier gear but we'll give you mythic quality loot before even setting foot inside mythic difficulty content!

10+ Year Old Account
    LFR is for people that don't have time to commit to organized raiding. With shitty LFR loot, it's no longer worth my time to run. Same with world bosses. Great game design blizz, making shit that's irrelevant/unrewarding to your intended playerbase.

Quote Originally Posted by hollafame View Post
    Not gonna give you tier gear but we'll give you mythic quality loot before even setting foot inside mythic difficulty content!
    An do at least heroic, something that the LFR crowd won't be doing.

I think it's good. It's not like people that don't raid need tier pieces.
    Last edited by Shiroh; 2015-02-27 at 02:07 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ambulatory Cube View Post
    Erm, VoA and Baradin Hold weren't world bosses, those were raids??? A world boss is something that spawns in the world.
    If you want to get technical, think Sha, Nalak and Celestials. World bosses in previous expansion that dropped tier gloves and legs. Before that their counterparts used to be bosses in BH and VoA.

Before MoP world bosses didn't really exist, unless you count rare bosses in Vanilla and TBC that nobody got to kill because realm's most hardcode guilds were killing them as soon as they were up.

hardest things about world bosses is hoping my computer lives to see the boss die

But I am a LFR Hero! Kappa

Quote Originally Posted by Shiroh View Post
    An do at least heroic, something that the LFR crowd won't be doing.

I think it's good. It's not like people that don't raid need tier pieces.
    By that logic, why would people doing heroic need mythic pieces? They're not necessarily raiding mythic.

And aside from that, who says people who don't raid don't need tier? Everyone likes to get better gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimson View Post
    By that logic, why would people doing heroic need mythic pieces? They're not necessarily raiding mythic.
    No. Mythic gear helps clearing heroic but you don't need tier sets to clear LFR. Not really comparable.
    I'm not even sure if Blackhand HC is currently doable without any Mythic gear.

And aside from that, who says people who don't raid don't need tier? Everyone likes to get better gear.
    The second part might be true for most (I only care about gear to help progressing, but that's besides the point). But someone who doesn't raid doesn't need gear. They might want it but wanting and needing are completely different. (Only talking about PvE here).
    Last edited by Shiroh; 2015-02-27 at 04:57 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mokoshne View Post
    Something struck me earlier as i was killing the new world boss Rukhmar.

This is the first time since the introduction of VOA in WoTLK where there is no world boss that drops tier legs/gloves. Why did blizzard decide to shift away from this design?

WoTLK = VoA
    Cata = Baradin Hold
    MoP = different world bosses each tier
    WoD = Nothing!
    Tbh VoA and BH were instanced world bosses, in PVP areas. Almost the same thing as normal world bosses. Azuregos and Doom Lord Kazzak though had no tier, so it's not exactly a trend if you only consider MoP.
    Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.
    To resist the influence of others, knowledge of oneself is most important.

The reason they no longer have lfr drop real tier gear is due to raiding guilds feeling like they have to run it to pick up quick 4 set bonuses. By no longer having tier in LFR there is no pull for actual raiders to have to delve into the mind numbing special place we call LFR.