Thread: Tattoo Question

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Tattoo Question

For those of you who have art, how much does public perception or ability/inability to procure work factor into that decision?

I have 3 tattoos on my potential list all 3 would be visible - and I already have 2 visible tattoos. I see my ladies at Hooters that spend quite a bit to cover them up (not allowed there). One even said "if i knew I would be working here, i wouldn't have gotten them", which to me sounds stupid, cuz it is just a restaurant.

I don't really have a problem with what I'd be wanting and I don't think anything about it when I see others with tattoos, but if it is excessive and piercings, sometimes I do think for a moment... usually in the "kudos for the business" for being fine with hiring someone, but it can be a little distracting I suppose.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.

I've been contemplating getting one done, but I wouldn't get one that is visible for a variety of reasons. One is employability, the other is that it's for me not necessarily everyone else.

Otherwise, I personally don't care about them as long as we're not talking like a bunch of shit on your face.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

I wouldn't get a head tattoo, I'm too white looking for that to be appealing in any sort of way.

If it is tasteful then it's cool. I mean, i want some tatts too, but these will be special and they will mean something to me. I can look at them and be like "Oh yeah, this is based off this book I wrote and this is about my deployment to XXXXXX". Just getting tatts because isn't bad. I am just saying that personally think more of a person who has a deeper meaning to their art rather than it just looking cool.

I personally respect a fully tatted (from head to toe) person who can identify every tatt with a story or a meaning that is special to them, than a person with a fag tribal, Chinese letters or a tramp stamp.

And if some shitty job is enough to make you reconsider getting permanent art then you are what is giving tatts a bad name. You should be proud of that decision and never feel like you made a mistake (not you personally. Just in general). If Hooters is enough to make a girl say she wouldn't have done it then she is a moron and probably has a target tattoo on her lower back that says "deposit here"

10+ Year Old Account
    I have a rather small ZoSo (Jimmy Page) sign tattooed on my forearm near the elbow, so it's nicely concealed when it has to be.
    I am all fine with it, but never considered another one.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

Deleted
    If you get it in a place that cannot be covered by a short sleeved shirt then expect discrimination, the people in charge are typically of the older generations and you have to play the game by their rules. Things will change when they retire and the younger generations start taking their place but for now you have to do what they say.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhine101 View Post
    she is a moron
    She was easily one of the coolest and best conversationalists I've ever encountered, but had really horrible judgement when it came to her body art. An awkward smile, pursed lips and a little shrug "Drunk. Spring break. I dunno, just being young and stupid." and she has like... 12. And some big ones (tattoos).

I agree that they should have meaning, and with that, it shouldn't matter. Bills need to be paid though. Where I'm at now, every manage who has seen the medium sized one on my forearm that I got in July, has only said positive things. The client hasn't really seen it though.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you get it in a place that cannot be covered by a short sleeved shirt then expect discrimination, the people in charge are typically of the older generations and you have to play the game by their rules. Things will change when they retire and the younger generations start taking their place but for now you have to do what they say.
    I need to disappoint you now Rich.... That's not how it goes.. Unfortunately..
    If it was true, we'd live in a world that (at least in our western societies) would be a lot less violent. Wars would be a no go. We'd have legalized Weed/Hash everywhere. And free spirited sex would be the norm, and not the exception.
    What you later generations don't grasp is the immensity of the flower power and hippie movement. The student revolts, the punk movement and all that jazz....
    That's my generation, the baby boomer generation, that spawned all of this stuff.
    And what is left of it? Nothing....
    The exact same mechanisms rule, that already ruled when we were younger.. And what you've just said, is exactly the same thing we've heard too..
    Wait until the old farts are gone, and everything will be better or different. Yet it is not.
    For one reason or another, that stiff protocol style prevailed throughout times.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    I need to disappoint you now Rich.... That's not how it goes.. Unfortunately..
    If the youth was so active and knowledgeable and "right", the Republicans wouldn't have smashed so heavily in the mid-term election. The "youth" trying to do everything and anything they can to be heard, would have came out to vote. In droves. Why elect one man (or woman #GoGreen), when you can make sweeping changes in the mid-terms? Right, they really don't care as much as we think they do.

If the tattoo is on your forearm, why not just wear a long sleeve shirt?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
    We don't all live in a frigid wasteland.

Ive managed to get jobs and i have tattoo's on both forums, i usually get compliments on them.

"Would you please let me join your p-p-party?

Iowa summers can get intolerable. I plan on another on my forearm with the current tat, an elbow to wrist mini sleeve on the other, and another one on my neck. Not so much curious for myself, cuz Ima do what Ima do, just more wondering about the masses here.

Hard to know what the future will bring. Will you go into sales for IBM and sell million dollar systems to people? Or teach? Be a lawyer? Mostly I wouldn't get one because I'd be afraid of what clients would think of me. I think it would be a disadvantage and lord knows I need all the advantages I can get.

Wouldn't take the risk, even though it might not be a big deal to many.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    We don't all live in a frigid wasteland.
    A good cotton button shirt won't matter

10+ Year Old Account
    A good cotton button shirt won't matter
    Sometimes going topless is wearing too much clothing.

Welcome to the Mediterranean...it gets fucking hot.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    Sometimes going topless is wearing too much clothing.

Welcome to the Mediterranean...it gets fucking hot.
    Yeah well whose fault is that for living in a sweaty ball sack of a region?!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ItachiZaku View Post
    If the youth was so active and knowledgeable and "right", the Republicans wouldn't have smashed so heavily in the mid-term election. The "youth" trying to do everything and anything they can to be heard, would have came out to vote. In droves. Why elect one man (or woman #GoGreen), when you can make sweeping changes in the mid-terms? Right, they really don't care as much as we think they do.
    Good point.... from that aspect, I'd say us baby boomers made a lot more stink, were a lot more outspoken about our values. We've actually expressed our will and took it to the streets.
    And today's generation tends to frown upon our motifs.
    The generation before mine was also in the belief that one day, when the old ones are gone, things gonna be better...
    But... Looking at the timelines..... Politics and Business...
    Still the Suit and Tie territory. Stiff and bone dry protocol. Accuracy and correctness.
    When people enter business, they change. They drop their ideals faster than they developed them...
    The all mighty moolah rules the world. Always has.

All my ink is covered by a short sleeve shirt or polo. It was a concern of mine, and still is since I am considering a half sleeve.

I work for a rather large corporation and a lot of people have tattoos exposed all over their body.
    But I think a full sleeve or neck/head tattoo could have a negative impact with the older management types... personally on the team I manage as long as you do your job I don't care what you look like.

Small single tattoos as long as they are tasteful don't seem to be an issue in my office.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have 11 tattoos and my brother has 70+. The biggest factor in public and workplace acceptance is where you live. A small, non-offensive tattoo (like child's name on wrist) could still be a no-go, whereas a large, offensive to some, tattoo on the neck might not turn any heads. You already know the policy of Hooters, as they want their girls wholesome looking, but if you are considering working in other fields (maybe you're studying to become a nurse or something now/in the future?) I would recommend calling the human resources dept. of any potential career and asking what their tattoo policy is. That will give you the best idea of what you should and shouldn't do. Any professional job I would absolutely say you shouldn't have tattoos that normal business wear wouldn't cover. Virginia is less tolerant of exposed tattoos, which my brother found out the hard way. Jobs he had in Atlanta, and now Orlando, didn't have a problem with his many tats (including a large, tastefully nude succubus on his neck!)

Regarding tattoos themselves, I'm not suggesting you let someone take you for all your money, but don't go the cheapest route and never get tattoos from peoples' houses. Storefront companies will have to answer for any problems that arise and have to live up to quality reputation. Call a few places and find out what their hourly rate is. Look at all the artwork the artists have to share and pick the person whose strengths match the type of art you want. It's cheapest for parlors to use new needles every time (rather than buy a machine to sterilize them), so you should always see your artist opening new pouches when setting up their gun for your session. Don't let someone tattoo you if their station is dirty or they aren't wearing gloves. Follow the after-care instructions and tip well for good work!

EDIT - saw the 3 you had lined up and not the part about the 2 you had, so skip the helpful bit about tattoos for the un-inked.
    Last edited by Kaliani; 2015-03-02 at 09:18 PM.