Pro Tanking Advice Needed - Protection Paladin Mythic HFC

Hello guys,

Thanks first of all for looking at my post, I need a bit of advice for tanking mythic HFC as a protection paladin. I have played my paladin for a long time protection only and lately i seem to struggle a bit more while everyone is saying "Protection Paladins are OP" and whatnot.
    Currently i am sitting at 10 out 13, which is not bad i guess relatively speaking.

What i am really struggling with is logs and definitely "Tank Survivability" and KRSI on the bosses in HFC Mythic. I have been swapping out gear, talents and enchants as well as altering my playstyle and even complete UI to improve this aspect. I always thought of myself as a veteran tank and yes sometimes my rankings are decent in the 30-50 range with a few spikes up to 60-70 on some bosses. I am really beating myself up over this as i feel i handle the encounter very well, do the best to my ability and we usually one shot the bosses. Now for some that might sound like "dude what is the big deal then?" Well i feel i could do better as a tank and comparing myself to players like Treckie & Slootbag also wont help as they are in a complete different god league. I understand that very well, but it would also be nice to see some improvement instead of it going up and down. As my playstyle overall is very consistent however due to all these changes and trying things out it seemed to be going up and down with no real median.

Tonight i went over my gear to come the conclusion i have the following choices :

Currently I am item level 730-733 with the upgrades that came in pretty much wearing only BIS items from Mythic or HC upgraded 2/2
    The build i am currently using was :

Option1

Talents: Holy Avenger and Holy Shield
    Trinkets: Anzu's Cursed Plume Mythic 2/2 and Warlords Unseeing Eye Heroic 2/2
    Gear Enchants: All Mastery
    Weapon Enchant : Mark of the Blackrock

Stats (Unbuffed) :

AVD: 70.06 %
    Dodge: 5%
    Parry: 31.86%
    Block: 48.50%
    Miss: 5%

Unhittable: -32,74%

Haste: 42.27% (3804)
    Mastery: 22.88% (1637)
    Bonus Armor: 1437

*I changed my weapon enchant to Mark of Bleeding Hollow tonight after raid for perhaps more uptime / usability*

What i have been comteplating as i see a lot of higher end paladins doing this and ranking much better then me is to change to:

Option2

Talents: Divine Purpose and Seraphim
    Trinkets: Anzu's Cursed Plume Mythic 2/2 and Libram of Vindication Heroic 2/2
    Gear Enchants: All Mastery ***might need to change to haste???***
    Weapon Enchant : Mark of the Blackrock ***might need to change to Mark of Warsong???***

Stats (Unbuffed) :

AVD: 58.33
    Parry: 30.44 %
    Block: 30.04

Unhittable: -41.67 %

Haste: 28.46 %
    Mastery: 22.88% (1637)
    Bonus Armor: 1437

I am not entirely sure that option 2 would be a feasible option for me perhaps in my current progress and gear and then the question would be will it improve my tank survivability going that route or is it purely damage based / burst and will a rotation with Seraphim and Divine Protection (glyphed) become even more spiky increasing my KRSI even further.

Would you please give your advise, suggestions, concerns and what i could do in this situation and what would be viable.

It would be very much appreciated.....!!!

Kind Regards,

ProtPally84

Current Gear:

Head: Helm of Ceaseless Vigil Mythic 2/2
    Neck: World Ender's Gorget Heroic 2/2 + Gift of Mastery
    Shoulder: Shoulder of Ceaseless Vigil Heroic 2/2
    Back: Ironthread Greatcloak Mythic (leech) 2/2 + Gift of Mastery
    Chest: Cuirass of the Ceaseless Vigil Heroic 2/2
    Wrist: Breach-Scarred Wristplates Heroic 2/2
    Hands: Gauntlets of Cealess Vigil Heroic WF 2/2
    Waist: Girdle of Demonic Wrath 2/2
    Legs: Legguards of Grievous Consonances Mythic WF 2/2
    Feet: Treads of the Defiler Heroic 2/2
    Ring: Zakuuns Signet of Command Mythic 2/2 + 136 Avoidance + Gift of Mastery (Have the haste ring from Hellfire Assault 2/2)
    Ring: Sanctus 768 + Gift of Mastery
    Trinket: Warlord's Unseeing Eye Heroic 2/2
    Trinket: Anzu's Cursed Plume Mythic 2/2
    Weapon : Blazing Demonhilt Sword Mythic + Socket 2/2 + Immaculate Mastery + Mark of Bleeding Hollow
    Shield: Smoldercore Bulwark Mythic 2/2

Extra's : Libram of Vindication Heroic 2/2, Annihilan's Waistplate Mythic 0/2 + Socket Immaculate Mastery, Stompers of Brazen Terror Mythic 0/2, Felstricken Shatari Crystalsword Mythic WF 0/2, Soulwarped Tower Shield Mythic 0/2
    Last edited by ProtPally84; 2015-11-27 at 01:14 AM.

Use the Mythic Mannoroth belt over the trash belt. Esp if you are going to use WuE.

Use Socrethar Shield over HFA shield.

Keep the socketed Sword you have.

Keep heroic boots you have.

Don't run DP/Sera combo its literally aids. Just run Holy Avenger on every fight and use it with Ring every 2m.

This: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...-Eo/edit#gid=0 is a good resource for talents/trinkets for fights. Mainly only look at progression.

Outside Tyrant and Archi. I woud never use WuE and just use class trinket/Anzus. Its completely safe. Esp if you use Holy shield.

Also, if you do plan to play Holy Shield all the time just go full haste to 50%. Ignore the over haste cap on the 2 fights you would use WuE imo. Use Mastery Enchant on wep. If you want to dps use Crit. Don't bother with the other enchants.

If you do ever go Seraphim drop to 40% haste with buffs.

Also, just ignore WCL tank ranking for survival. If you aren't dying and healers are complaining about needing to be spammed you are fine.

Paladins require better play or they do get dumped on. Hell even playing correctly and having externals up you can still just get demolished. Its just how they are. Making sure you don't fuck up your rotation at all and use CDs correctly you will be completely fine. Even going a more dps route in gear/talents at that Ilvl.
    Last edited by Jellospally; 2015-11-27 at 01:43 AM.

Jellospally

Thank you for the advice and comments given very helpful and it makes sense.

I switched all my enchants and gem back to haste now and obviously sticked with Holy Avenger + Holy Shield talent build.
    Gearwise I swapped shield to Soulwarped Tower Shield Mythic 1/2 and swapped out Zakuuns ring for Hellfire Assault one for now to get max haste.
    The belt i had to stick with Girdle of Demonic Haste for the same reason. I will however take your advise and swap it out when using WoE.
    Trinkets i will stick to now are LoV and ACP.

My stats buffed are now as follows:

Haste: 44.69%
    Mastery: 22.83%
    Crit: 15.83%
    Bonus Armor: 1396

AVD: 68.23%
    Parry: 37.23%
    Block: 45.00%
    Unhittable: -31.78%

I will use your google document as a reference point and try this "new" build for the next runs to see how it feels and obviously is a stable consisent given with a median i can build on for progression for now. To me it also seems some vital pieces of mythic gear are just missing and was trying to make up for the lack of that by using WoE to cap haste although the trinket effect is handy.

Tyrant i will still use WoE with same combo not looking at my over haste.

Again thank you very much, appreciated !

ProtPally84

Ya the biggest thing is just maximizing that haste. Just try to make sure you have as much coverage while tanking with SoR as possible and fill gaps with DP unless its a fight where you actually need to save it for something.

Even AS can fill the void for a hit. Same with LoV.