Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Who invented the lingo?

Where did all these terms like "go face", "top-decking", "zoo deck", "mulligan", "lethal" and all that nonsense originate? It's like every time I watch twitch I learn a new fanboy term.

Attack the enemy hero boss with everything = yolo face, what?

10+ Year Old Account
    Just because some people say it, doesn't mean it's really a thing. Top decking makes sense though.

Some are from Magic the Gathering, last I checked mulligan is actually in rule books.
    Lethals always been a word last I checked
    Top deck probably Magic too I would imagine, and zoo.

Rest probably crawled out of Twitch.

"Mulligan" is an early-20th century sporting term, it possibly originated in golf.

Many other terms (eg zoo) are carried over from MtG and/or other card games.

Quote Originally Posted by Twoddle View Post
    Well that's just an obvious neologism, yolo indicates reckless behaviour and face means hitting the hero's face as opposed to dealing with his/her board. So if you go apeshit hitting face hoping to score a kill before they play a taunt or board clear or just kill you - yolo face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Where did all these terms like "go face", "top-decking", "zoo deck", "mulligan", "lethal" and all that nonsense originate? It's like every time I watch twitch I learn a new fanboy term.

To put it simply "Them damn kids"

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Well that's just an obvious neologism, yolo indicates reckless behaviour and face means hitting the hero's face as opposed to dealing with his/her board. So if you go apeshit hitting face hoping to score a kill before they play a taunt or board clear or just kill you - yolo face.
    Please, lets never again act like "yolo" is a regular term Pleassseeeee

After all these years I still hate "mill" although it comes from a pretty reasonable background.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Mill came about from the cart Millstone from magic the gathering

Quote Originally Posted by Gourmandise View Post
    After all these years I still hate "mill" although it comes from a pretty reasonable background.
    Admit it, its because you really just hate the decks that come along with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    Admit it, its because you really just hate the decks that come along with it.
    Hell yeah. Fuck Memory Adept and Consuming Aberration.

My favorite blue card was the one that any time your opponent played a spell, they had to mill 2. I forgot its name, but it was just a simple card that annoyed so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    As others have said, all those terms popped up over time in games like MtG.

Even "zoo deck" is a concept/name from MtG despite some Reynad fanboys claiming he invented the deck and name.
    But Dire Wolf wasn't popular until he put it in!

That's what my friend keeps saying at least as a joke

15+ Year Old Account
    Some is new, a lot comes from Magic (see: http://mtg.wikia.com/wiki/Slang), some actually comes from WoW itself.

Hunter decks are a good example of the latter. While face refers specifically to (attacking) the opponent's "hero portrait", it's also been conflated with the WoW slang term "faceroll," which comes from an old forum post suggesting that paladins are so simple to play that you can bind their skills to every key on the keyboard and succeed just by rolling your face across it. And of course, "huntard" is carried over too.

My favorite blue card was the one that any time your opponent played a spell, they had to mill 2. I forgot its name, but it was just a simple card that annoyed so much.
    Ahh shards of alara. My some of the favorite cards come from that block.

I think most terms, if not all, come from mtg.

Deleted
    MtG and Twitch Chat.

Where did all these terms like "mulligan" and all that nonsense originate? It's like every time I watch twitch I learn a new fanboy term.
    Rofl.

Also, never watch Forsen lol.

"Go face" and... that other face-related term come from Hearthstone, meaning that you forgo trading, which is a term that comes from MtG when you choose to block and both the blocker and blocked creature die. Top-decking means achieving an answer or lethal from the turn-related draw, in a situation you'd otherwise be quite screwed in - this is also used in MtG.
    Mulligan is an actual term in MtG, and is even referenced in at least one card.

Aww, don't say that! Jace, Memory Adept's 0 ability + Rings of Brighthearth is both fun and fair!
    All you need to do then is cast things from their graveyard and win.

Memory Erosion. I still run that in my Dimir (Blue-Black) Commander deck. It gets all the hate, for some reason.
    I did remake the deck into a Sultai (Blue-Black-Green) Commander deck, when I got my pre-release card from Fate Reforged, which is a lovely deck for self-mill and giving your opponents difficult choices.

Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    "Go face" and... that other face-related term come from Hearthstone,
    Go Face most certainly does NOT come from Hearthstone. It's been used for over ten years.

Quote Originally Posted by Ham on Rye View Post
    Go Face most certainly does NOT come from Hearthstone. It's been used for over ten years.
    As an expression? Sure. I'd not necessarily call it relevant.

I'm going to start calling my deck, my "library".
    MY X/Y POKEMON FRIEND CODE: 1418-7279-9541 In Game Name: Michael__