are there people who only pve?

i haven't been on for a while because i was hospitalized after a suicide attempt about a month and a half ago (broke both my legs) - been talking to my therapist and even he agreed with me that pvp really overstimulates the mind and im not the only one, if you ever hop in with teamspeak u and see other people get aggravated and do some searching on the news, tons of people go crazy from the anxiety and break things and hurt other people, make threats out of anger that get them arrested irl, and he said its very unhealthy for the brain, especially when you are trying to relax/enjoy the video game as recreation and that single player games can be strenuous as it is, but pvp is much worse because the anger is stronger when another player kills you and laughs, etc.

i decided im going to just do pve from now on, i like it because its much more relaxed and im on a good progression team (we just cleared hm torque and HM walkers in tos)

anyone else here do pve? or do you all do pvp too?

10+ Year Old Account
    Not sure, never been such an unstable person that Dying in PvP makes me angry. Try playing solitaire or something

I do both, I can't focus on just one

Please post respectfully. Infracted. -Edge
    Last edited by Edge-; 2015-03-15 at 05:40 PM.

PVP would be better for me if I could just hop in with any gear and get stuff done and if I play enough PVP I can get great gear for PVE and PVP and vice versa with PVE gear.

Too much grinding now and that makes the first couple of weeks of playing PVP hard.

I've never particularly liked PVP - most likely because I'm just not good at it - never have been. I DO still occasionally have fun in a big guild group - but the vast majority of my time is PVE and I see no problem with that

10+ Year Old Account
    Born: Syracuse, NY; Currently live: Raleigh, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by Tesket View Post
    i haven't been on for a while because i was hospitalized after a suicide attempt about a month and a half ago (broke both my legs) - been talking to my therapist and even he agreed with me that pvp really overstimulates the mind and im not the only one, if you ever hop in with teamspeak u and see other people get aggravated and do some searching on the news, tons of people go crazy from the anxiety and break things and hurt other people, make threats out of anger that get them arrested irl, and he said its very unhealthy for the brain, especially when you are trying to relax/enjoy the video game as recreation and that single player games can be strenuous as it is, but pvp is much worse because the anger is stronger when another player kills you and laughs, etc.

i decided im going to just do pve from now on, i like it because its much more relaxed and im on a good progression team (we just cleared hm torque and HM walkers in tos)

Different stimuli affect different people differently. What you and your therapist call "overstimulating, strenuous, and stressful" another person could call "exhilarating, exciting, and competitive". I played competitive hockey for 12 years as a kid. The emotional highs and lows were fairly extreme, but some people thrive off of that sort of thing.

Yes there are people that PvE exclusively in any kind of gaming. They are the ones that find it to be frustrating, infuriating, and hopeless...

I haven't done any real pvp since vanilla and start of tbc, but have done pve since then and up until now. i know many that spends their offtime from raids doing arena and bgs, i prefer dungeons, which is why i have over 450 completed HC 5 man dungeons this expansion alone.
    I can't stand pvp really.

As a psych major I agree with you on how pvp affects the brain. I can see my mood and other people's change during pvp so nowadays I mostly just stick to pve. As you can see from tj119, pvp and just internet interactions in general make people more crappy, which makes sense because they spend so much time on the game since nobody wants to be around them irl.

Also, I can't stand people who want to brag about their epic 'pehvehpez' while they are playing on a pve server...but its w/e because they always seem to suck anyways.
    Last edited by bolnahalke; 2015-03-15 at 05:36 PM.
    jedi? dark jedi!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Splub View Post
    PVP would be better for me if I could just hop in with any gear and get stuff done and if I play enough PVP I can get great gear for PVE and PVP and vice versa with PVE gear.

Too much grinding now and that makes the first couple of weeks of playing PVP hard.
    Wow did you completely miss the subject....by a mile lol.
    If you can't control your feelings when playing PVP than its bad for you, but thats not everyone....yes it can be frustrating to lose, but very rewarding to win....its a video game lighten up!

p.s. not trying to be mean to anyone, sorry if you feel I was !
    Last edited by BaP; 2015-03-15 at 05:31 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tesket View Post

So what your saying is, PvP is a contributing factor to your suicide attempt ? (glad that you failed it though)
    As for me and PVP, Yes I do from time to time, But I treat it like I treat PVE, it's fun, but nothing to get worked up over.

I have simply said "fuck it, can't be dealing with the stress you lot are causing me" mid raid and logged off before now, and that was when I was raid leading. The game, infact ANY game should be a avenue for you to relive your stress and relax, if it is having the reverse effect, to the point where you are screaming and getting angry at other people then its time to log off and do something else. Life is way too short to go round getting stressed out over a video game.

10+ Year Old Account
    I refrain from pvp without friends. If I'm with friends I don't get mad for some reason (probably because we win).

I once lost my temper due to dying in pvp. I punched the wall behind my monitor and broke my hand.

I haven't covered the hole, because it reminds me to remain calm.

Quote Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
    So what your saying is, PvP is a contributing factor to your suicide attempt ? (glad that you failed it though)
    As for me and PVP, Yes I do from time to time, But I treat it like I treat PVE, it's fun, but nothing to get worked up over.

I have simply said "fuck it, can't be dealing with the stress you lot are causing me" mid raid and logged off before now, and that was when I was raid leading. The game, infact ANY game should be a avenue for you to relive your stress and relax, if it is having the reverse effect, to the point where you are screaming and getting angry at other people then its time to log off and do something else. Life is way too short to go round getting stressed out over a video game.
    well i was doing ok the week before but that night during pvp i was getting made fun of alot and it just really set me off and i felt like this world was shit and i cant do anything and tehres no reason for me to live.

but as another reizen said pve and pvpers have different stimuli, so next time someone wants to duel me ill just say i am only a pve-er and its ok cus even though i get aggravated from pvp, pvpers will go crazy from pve.

also another reason i dont want to pvp, is if u think about it, in pvp you are making yourself feel good, by making others feel bad. and the internet is damaging society and people all together enough as it is, so im just gonna stay out of it, and life isnt forever so i can just not pvp for rest of my life and and just enjoy what i can and before i know it i will be dead.

I ONLY pve now.

My first toon was on a pvp server and stayed there for Van and BC ,Most of Wrath as well.

I used to pvp fairly heavy wrath and before. Stopped after wrath though it got too frustrating and I let it consume me more than I should have BUT I caught myself and now ...other than the occasional holiday/gank I don't bother with it.

It no longer does anything for me that lasts long enough to justify the time needed to do it "well".

Now I am pve only and enjoy it more because it is more where I am "At" in my current incarnation of life.

I only PvE, but it has happened that I've picked up PvPing when I'm working too much IRL and can't find the time to raid with my guild.
    However I feel more stressed when raiding, especially progressing. And after wiping 100+ times on a single boss then my temper goes out the window and I start screaming and smashing my keyboard.
    When I've played PvP I never feel angry, I feel empty and sometimes frustrated when losing 10 bgs in a row. Maybe it's because I have no interest for PvP and I don't consider it competetive. But that's just me.

All in all, I think it comes down to personal preference. If you are serious with raiding and you are failing constantly then that could get you angry. And vice-versa for someone that takes PvP seriously.

Closing this down, as this is a forum primarily for SWTOR discussion rather than mental health.

If you want to recreate the thread to discuss PvE only gameplay without the mental health angel, as there have already been a few less than stellar posts on that subject and it's not appropriate to the forums, you're more than welcome to.