Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Few questions about SWTOR

So I am getting tired of world of garrisons and looking for something fresh I havent played yet, and would not get bored after month or so. I just have few questions about swtor which i couldnt find answers to, or answers i found were pretty outdated.

1. Expansions, wtf is deal with those, their homepage is really bad at explaining their f2p model. Can someone correct me if I have understood this correctly.

a) If i dont buy anything and just go F2P route, I can level up to 50 before i hit wall? Also i get some restrictions of what i can and cant do because of being f2p player (how steep are restrictions? again their website have some stupid differently colored circles which dont explain a lot)

b) I subscribe and get Rise of Hutt without needing to buy it and can level to 55

c) I buy Shadow of Raven (Rise of Hut is included for free?) but not subscribe, thus i can level to 60, but still have f2p restrictions

d) I buy Shadow of Raven (Rise of Hut is included for free?) and subscribe, I can level to 60 and do anything i want without restrictions

2. How populated is game, will I actually have people to do dungeons with, and I will see people around in cities, and they wont be ghost towns? (Can anyone compare it to wildstar population?)

3. As I understand i can choose EU or US servers as i please, in that case what would be recomended pve server for EU?

4. I only found old info on this but maybe something has changed. There are no addons? If thats the case, how customizable is UI? Are there any DPS meters which at least show my ofc dps/hps so I can check it for improvement.

5. Is raiding decent in this game? I dont expect it to be WoW level but some/not dead raiding scene would be nice. Also how is pvp, is it like BGs in wow? There is no arenas correct?

6. How well are classes balanced? Do they try to balance them often or some classes are broken for too long?

7. Any websites, like mmo champ for wow info, and wowhead as database?

Thanks for answers! I also would be thankful for some not outdated link with info for new players.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    1) A. You can leveling too 50, but the restrictions come as things like - Can only receive loot from dungeons 3 times a week, Can only enter 3 Battlegrounds a week, Earn about 25% exp from quests, Cannot use "artifact" quality items (which is pretty much epic items), less choice from quest rewards etc. Totally doable, but generally an effort in masochism. Better to just pay the $15 once and get the RoTHC expansion and an unrestricted game as it is worth it for the price.

B. as said you sub and get all content to 55 as part of it.
    C. True
    D. True. I would recommend just getting 1 month of sub, trying the game out before paying for the expansion. as I said $15 is not much for the content of 1-55

2. Game is probably the 2nd most populated MMO I play. Second to WoW. LFG in it is similar to WoW tanks/Heals usually pretty quick queue, Dps slower. Fleet is always full of people on populated servers and usually 40-100 people on different planets dwindling as you get higher then getting large populations again at max level planets.

3. Red Eclipse for PvE I have heard is good, and is the English speaking.

4. No addons or macros within the game, though there is a Parsing program you can get for DPS that runs alongside the game. UI is completely movable and re-scaleable ingame.

5. Raiding is very fun and much more "cinematic" than WoW. PvP I find to be much funner than WoW, the Balance is actually much better and there is both Ranked 4v4 and Unranked.

6. All classes and specs are viable and are mostly within competitive levels of eachother. Though like WoW some classes that have multiple DPS specs, one spec may outshine another, but not by too much. Also they try to balance out DPS by Niche, Ranged since they have more uptime have slightly lower dps than Melee who can be screwed by movement. but evens out. Tanks and Healers can perform well regardless of class.

7. Dulfy.net (best site for SWTOR), Torhead(outdated a bit though)

Last but not least, HAVE FUN! don't go into the game aiming to just rush endgame like in WoW. The game is much more story driven, so relax and enjoy it. The Storylines are amazing.

Thanks for swift response!

Just some follow up questions.

Is all Raven expansion content related to 55 and upward levels? I can just subscribe and play to 55 without missing out much from expansion?

Fleets are capital cities/planets flashpoints - dungeons, operations - raids, warzones - bgs?

Is there any class/spech which you would advise against for beginner?

Also can only subs post on swtor forums?

And yes I know about story line, thats the main reason why I want to try out this game, recently finished all SW movies, and I am having this urge to play some SW game.
    Last edited by funyroger; 2014-12-30 at 11:47 AM.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by funyroger View Post
    Thanks for swift response!

Just some follow up questions.

Is all Raven expansion content related to 55 and upward levels? I can just subscribe and play to 55 without missing out much from expansion?

Fleets are capital cities/planets yes?

Is there any class/spech which you would advise against for beginner?

And yes I know about story line, thats the main reason why I want to try out this game, recently finished all SW movies, and I am having this urge to play some SW game.
    Yes, Revan is about 55 to 60.
    Fleets are capitals - yes, sort of. You have of course Coruscant /Rep and Dromund Kaas (Kaas City)/ Imp but they are more "lore wise" capitals with not as much in them. you can choose freely where to hang though, although i strongly recommend the fleet due to their design.

I would advise you to not pick Marauder/Sentinel for leveling, it's doable of course, but they are very squishy right now (just regarding leveling!!)

Another advice, if you go for the Imperial classes, try a light side char. Lots of giggles. I am laughing my ass off for every Jedi that gets completely confused when I offer them mercy or tell them I am not here for the killing.

Other than that, welcome back to SWTOR! I can also recommend you the swtor reddit, great community

Quote Originally Posted by Kaamos View Post
    Another advice, if you go for the Imperial classes, try a light side char. Lots of giggles. I am laughing my ass off for every Jedi that gets completely confused when I offer them mercy or tell them I am not here for the killing.
    lol I was DS Mara, but didn't kill everyone (if they willingly helped me, I spared them) and it was pretty funny seeing their reaction.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.

Deleted
    >tired of world of garrisons
    >wants to move to arguably the worst western MMO ever created

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by johnyderp View Post
    I think you forgot about Wildstar/Elder Scrolls Online/Guild Wars 2. All very much worse.

Quote Originally Posted by johnyderp View Post
    Maybe one of the worst launches from a western MMO. The game has turned itself around and is in a decent spot. Gameplay is fun, stories are great, and if you're into RP the Star Wars community is one of the best.

Only qualms i still have with Swtor is the F2P restrictions, but honestly what can we really ask them to give away for free, when most of the content is already being given away for free.

http://www.swtor.com/FREE/features will answer all of your F2P->Preferred->Sub questions. I am with you that I recently switched back to SWTOR from WoW because I got bored fast with the tedious amount of dailies/farming/etc just to be competitive. In SWTOR I can take a 5-6 month break and hop back in full swing.

The biggest plus for me in SWTOR is that I LOVE STAR WARS and this game brings the old republic to life.

I knew about thank link but thanks anwyay. I find it kinda not as informative as I would like, however if found this one if anyone is looking for some info as i was

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm sorry to hijack your thread, but I also have the urge to play. Last time I played was about two years ago, as a Sniper and Juggernaut.

My question is, is the Juggernaut a legit DPS in PVE and/or PVP? Last time I played, I was disappointed that it wasn't like the WoW's equivalent of a Arms warrior.

Also, how are Snipers doing in PVP/PVE? I made a PVP vid of my sniper game play in 2012 and I loved it.
    As seen on on here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBRFeIHS_O4
    Last edited by Weezing; 2014-12-31 at 08:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Weezing View Post
    I'm sorry to hijack your thread, but I also have the urge to play. Last time I played was about two years ago, as a Sniper and Juggernaut.

My question is, is the Juggernaut a legit DPS in PVE and/or PVP? Last time I played, I was disappointed that it wasn't like the WoW's equivalent of a Arms warrior.

Also, how are Snipers doing in PVP/PVE? I made a PVP vid of my sniper game play in 2012 and I loved it.
    As seen on on here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBRFeIHS_O4
    Juggernauts are very capable DPS in both PVP and PVE. They got some nice changes with this expansion.

As far as I can tell snipers are doing well. Most of their skills can now be used on the move. You lose the benefits of the crouch/shield but you can be a bit more Mobile. I love my sniper but I have not done much PVP on him. I usually heal.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by quras View Post
    Juggernauts are very capable DPS in both PVP and PVE. They got some nice changes with this expansion.

As far as I can tell snipers are doing well. Most of their skills can now be used on the move. You lose the benefits of the crouch/shield but you can be a bit more Mobile. I love my sniper but I have not done much PVP on him. I usually heal.
    Snipers can heal now!?

I decided against rolling another Jugg and went with an Inquisitor. Planning on making a assassin seeing as I don't have to wear that stupid dress anymore.

They can't. I think he means that he play his healing class for PvP!

EDIT: For any new or returning players, you can try this link if you like: http://www.swtor.com/r/PMZhvb

Basically it gives me a mini pet and new players a few perks and previous subs some more(Including 7 days of sub time). http://www.swtor.com/info/friends it's on this page.
    Last edited by Thundermoose; 2015-01-01 at 10:40 AM.

For any new or returning players, you can try this link if you like: http://www.swtor.com/r/PMZhvb
    Yeah those links are not working for me, you are not eligible bullshit every single time

SWTOR has been my go-to game when I needed a break from WoW for awhile now. It always keeps me entertained for a few months, but ultimately I end up going back to WoW. Most of your questions were answered, so let me just give you a few pieces of advice that you might find helpful.

Absolutely don't go the f2p route. Even if you spend some money and become preferred the restrictions are really killer. If you want a good F2P MMO in the WoW-style go with Rift.

You're going to find the queue system is a lot slower in SWTOR, so make sure you become friends with a tank or healer. This is especially true if you play outside of peak hours. I've waited hours upon hours for a queue to pop late at night. If you're on one of the lower pop servers, or the lesser populated faction (usually republic), sometimes there just simply won't be queue pops most of the night.

The raiding is entertaining, but you may ultimately find some/a lot of the bosses to be very simple. They often have very few mechanics compared to WoW and the "hard" part of the fight is enrage timers are set to require non-trivial dps from healers. This only applies if you're doing early NiM progression.

Try not to get too caught up in playing space barbie. You can easily drop millions of credits or a lot of cash on getting that prefect transmog look. The cartel packs are big time gambles. Once you get some credits saved up it is almost always better to buy what you want straight off the AH. Most of what is in the packs won't sell and you're unlikely to make your money back if you use credits on the packs themselves.

In short, SWTOR is an amazing game and definitely worth checking out if you are a Star Wars fan. I personally despise the way they implemented the F2P model. What they restrict is just ridiculous (action bars? seriously?) and they are so in your face about how much better you would be if you were a subscriber.

But as a subscriber, the game is fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by funyroger View Post
    Yeah those links are not working for me, you are not eligible bullshit every single time
    I'm sorry to hear that. I did have someone use the referral today, so they are not universally broken at least.

If you decide to play on TRE and have some questions, feel free to shoot me a PM for some of my characters names, and I'll do my best to answer your questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Weezing View Post
    Planning on making a assassin seeing as I don't have to wear that stupid dress anymore.
    My assassin had the Inquisitor set waiting for her (the only light armor pants back then), but now with adaptive gear, you can look however you'd like on any class.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.

Just bought sub, if anything story will be worth 15$ even if endgame is not my thing, this is actually first game i will be looking forward to level alts, just to see other class storylines

Quick question tho, lets say in wow its pretty easy to find decent guild, you browse forums, or look in wowprogress to find which guilds are decent at PVE, so is there any site with decent guild recruitment/progression for swtor? (i know its fast but i would just like this info now, than later when i am rdy to do some pve)

Quote Originally Posted by Thundermoose View Post
    I'm sorry to hear that. I did have someone use the referral today, so they are not universally broken at least.

If you decide to play on TRE and have some questions, feel free to shoot me a PM for some of my characters names, and I'll do my best to answer your questions.
    Yes I am on Red Eclipse, will keep that in mind