Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by shammypie View Post
    i was going more in the alternative for alextrase/ysera. You get 2 spells which should at least give you 1 useable spell if not better. Kind of like unstable portal the odds are in your favor. You wouldn't drop him trying to get a removal card you would drop him as an 8/8 for your opponent to deal with while you also add 2 spell to your hand which should at least help you somewhat. There are very few spells in any class's armory that are overly bad (see corruption). You also get 2 chances so as long as you get 1 decent one (frostbolt/crackle/etc) you have value and at least 2/1. It's also a good legendary to throw out when you are control facing another heavy control deck and becoming hand exhausted. Overall the RNG factor isn't that much of detriment.
    The difference is all of ysera's cards are fairly powerful (up to extremely powerful) - more than your average card. Alexstrasza fills a COMPLETELY different niche and would never be replaced for nefarian.

It's not a free card, you are removing something (big) to put this in as a control deck, so you are not gaining a free thing for htem to remove, they'd have the removal even if it was ysera or some other. The spells are gain are sorta meh.

From a Turn 10 Control vs Control POV:
    Druid - Innervate, Moonfire, Claw, Naturalize, Savagery, Mark of the Wild, Power of the Wild, Wild Growth, Wrath, Healing Touch, Mark of Nature, Savage Roar, Bite, Poison Seeds, Swipe, Nourish, Starfall, Dark Whispers, Force of Nature, Recycle, Starfire, Tree of Life

Just using the first class on my list, there's a LOT of variance there, and a lot of low level very poor pulls from me using a turn on something fairly easily removable. The only reason it may not be immediately be BGH'd is that was possibly already burnt on dr. boom.

Unstable portal isn't a late game full turn investment, it's an early game very probable tempo advantage with heavy RNG. This card does not do that. It's slow, it's too RNG for the decks its suited for, and there are better alternatives short of the dragon tag becoming REALLY popular.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."

Volcanic Drake seems too situational to be good, people will much rather play Sky Golem which has the same cost and stats but atleast gives you a random 4-drop. It might be good in dragon decks.

Drakonid Crusher looks really good. He only has 1 less health than a Boulderfist Ogre but has a good possitility to be a 9/9, he'll be a solid arena pick. At worst he's just a 6/6 for 6 which isn't that bad.

Nefarion doesn't seem that good to me. Most classes have a lot of crappy spells that you might not even be able to use like Deadly Poison and Shield Slam, he seems to expensive for what he does, even if he can be a good late-game card. There are plenty of better minions, like Ysera has a much better chance to survive with her stats and gives you better late-game cards.

10+ Year Old Account
    The big difference between Ysera and Nefarion is susceptibility to mind control or faceless manipulator. Nef might be better in that regard if control dragon decks are strong at the top of the ladder.

Deleted
    All fairly poor in my opinion. Nefarian is too much of an investment for something which can potentially whiff and give you fairly useless cards. And he's incredibly slow - so far nothing has been done to stem the aggression of the current meta.

Drakonid Crusher is strictly a win more card. And not even a great one because it just gets BGH'ed.

Volcanic Drake is too clunky for my tastes. In most scenarios this will cost 4, and while a 6/4 is above the vanilla test, it's got pretty low health, especially in the later game. Doesn't fit the trend of sticky minions that's super popular nowadays.

I think dragon decks are dead on arrival. I don't see any reason why I'd want to play them over the pre-existing control decks.

- - - Updated - - -

Currently the only cards I'm anticipating seeing any play (after the experimentation phase) are Dragon Egg, Imp Gang Boss and Lava Shock.

- - - Updated - - -

Although, Volcanic Drake is good post AoE so maybe it will find its way into Freeze Mage. You play Doomsayer, it blows up 4 or 5 minions, you play a pair of 6/4s for 2. Same deal with Brawl. Okay I can see that.

Added Drakonid Crusher, Volcanic Drake, and Nefarian.

And my thoughts... Are basically given by Protar. For constructed these cards are too slow and/or not sticky enough but might see niche play. Crusher will be a monster in arena though. Volcanic Drake will usually cost 4 in arena which is alright but the issue is its 4 health. Nefarian's ability can be cute but it's likely too little, too late. I anticipate Hysteria getting some crazy combo with it though and posting a youtube vid.
    Quote Originally Posted by Everything Nice View Post
    Noodles and chocolate milk is the breakfast of Champions.
    Super Brony Friendfinder

Quote Originally Posted by Jackielope View Post
    Added Drakonid Crusher, Volcanic Drake, and Nefarian.

And my thoughts... Are basically given by Protar. For constructed these cards are too slow and/or not sticky enough but might see niche play. Crusher will be a monster in arena though. Volcanic Drake will usually cost 4 in arena which is alright but the issue is its 4 health. Nefarian's ability can be cute but it's likely too little, too late. I anticipate Hysteria getting some crazy combo with it though and posting a youtube vid.
    i don't know even at the end of the day he's still an 8/8 body. He's more usefull against certain deck archetypes than others. For instance you have a really good chance of getting a good card vs a mage/priest/shaman/paladin than you would a rogue/druid/warrior/hunter (assuming you live through their burst).

I will however play him for a while and post of a video of me getting double mind control out of a priest one day.

i don't know even at the end of the day he's still an 8/8 body. He's more usefull against certain deck archetypes than others. For instance you have a really good chance of getting a good card vs a mage/priest/shaman/paladin than you would a rogue/druid/warrior/hunter (assuming you live through their burst).
    Paladin is practically king of the 1 cost spells, not exactly a massive amount of worth from most of them (although a lot aren't bad early game). On top of that if we're calling cards good because they're 8/8 bodies then nozdormu should be competitive

I will however play him for a while and post of a video of me getting double mind control out of a priest one day.
    Double Pyroblast from a mage would be much more interesting, you probably wouldn't even get a chance to use 2 mind controls so late in the game
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."

Quote Originally Posted by Raiju View Post
    Paladin is practically king of the 1 cost spells, not exactly a massive amount of worth from most of them (although a lot aren't bad early game). On top of that if we're calling cards good because they're 8/8 bodies then nozdormu should be competitive

Double Pyroblast from a mage would be much more interesting, you probably wouldn't even get a chance to use 2 mind controls so late in the game
    i was refering to the fact that it's not like you don't have a large minion on the board to go along with random spell cards. Also you would be surprised at how many times you could use mind control especially considering you are probably going to burn 1 right away to get your nefarion back.

Also those 1 cost paladin cards can be very useful, wisdom/divine shield/secrets are all useful. turn 10 with a paladin secret resummon a dead minion with 1 health then give it divine shield to hit something else.
    Last edited by shammypie; 2015-03-27 at 03:38 PM.

You could also get repentance, or eye for an eye, or countless other bad cards for your situation. You are being ridiculously idealistic about all this.

Quote Originally Posted by Raiju View Post
    You could also get repentance, or eye for an eye, or countless other bad cards for your situation. You are being ridiculously idealistic about all this.
    So your saying you wouldn't want repentance or eye for an eye? Those both sound like decent cards to get. Especially if you are playing a mage and you can then ping whatever they summoned with your hero power. Also eye for an eye is free damage to the enemy hero. I'm not saying nef is OP or anything but he is useful and could be a solid choice.

I'm not being idealistic I'm being realistically optimistic.

So your saying you wouldn't want repentance or eye for an eye? Those both sound like decent cards to get. Especially if you are playing a mage and you can then ping whatever they summoned with your hero power. Also eye for an eye is free damage to the enemy hero. I'm not saying nef is OP or anything but he is useful and could be a solid choice.

I'm not being idealistic I'm being realistically optimistic.
    By your logic we should all be running repentance and Eye for an Eye, as the paladin hero power can just trade with whatever they summoned!

This just in: Card's have effects. More at 12.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Protar View Post
    All fairly poor in my opinion. Nefarian is too much of an investment for something which can potentially whiff and give you fairly useless cards. And he's incredibly slow - so far nothing has been done to stem the aggression of the current meta.

Drakonid Crusher is strictly a win more card. And not even a great one because it just gets BGH'ed.

Volcanic Drake is too clunky for my tastes. In most scenarios this will cost 4, and while a 6/4 is above the vanilla test, it's got pretty low health, especially in the later game. Doesn't fit the trend of sticky minions that's super popular nowadays.

I think dragon decks are dead on arrival. I don't see any reason why I'd want to play them over the pre-existing control decks.

- - - Updated - - -

Currently the only cards I'm anticipating seeing any play (after the experimentation phase) are Dragon Egg, Imp Gang Boss and Lava Shock.

- - - Updated - - -

Although, Volcanic Drake is good post AoE so maybe it will find its way into Freeze Mage. You play Doomsayer, it blows up 4 or 5 minions, you play a pair of 6/4s for 2. Same deal with Brawl. Okay I can see that.
    How about Dark Iron Skulker?

volcanic drake is gonna be nuts in hunters, since its yet another incredibly synergic card with UTH and goes well with all the other deathrattle crap, IM predicting it to be #1 cancer deck when the wing with this card releases

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by HearthRhythm View Post
    How about Dark Iron Skulker?
    Skulker is a powerful card in Arena, but I think in constructed its niche has already been filled with Blade Flurry. The 4/3 on top of the AoE is a nice bonus but not a huge deal. If the second Rogue card pushes some new archetype then maybe it will fit in that, I'm not ruling it out completely.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Protar View Post
    Skulker is a powerful card in Arena, but I think in constructed its niche has already been filled with Blade Flurry. The 4/3 on top of the AoE is a nice bonus but not a huge deal. If the second Rogue card pushes some new archetype then maybe it will fit in that, I'm not ruling it out completely.
    My problem with blade flurry is that you need a weapon, then you need to buff that weapon, and THEN you need to blade flurry. Thats a lot of cards and spells for doing one thing. Dark Iron Skulker is a minion and an AoE In one card.

Deleted
    My problem with blade flurry is that you need a weapon, then you need to buff that weapon, and THEN you need to blade flurry. Thats a lot of cards and spells for doing one thing. Dark Iron Skulker is a minion and an AoE In one card.
    Well it's 2 spells and your hero power. Not too difficult to pull off really. And it can do huge amounts of damage, both to minions and the enemy hero. That's the thing - though it seems clunky, Rogues do great with blade flurry combos. They've built an entire deck around it. Skulker doesn't really match up to that.

A Rogue worth half his salt doesn't attack with his weapon if he has a play next turn, or a weapon coating in hand. Also, equipping a 1/2 weapon is only 2 mana, it's not like it's that costly especially when the entirety of a Rogue deck is usually a pretty low mana curve. I think Dark Iron Skulker was wrong to give to a class with so much removal already, I won't even bother playing against Rogues as Shaman anymore, not that Rogues weren't already favored or anything.
    Last edited by muto; 2015-03-28 at 05:50 PM.

Just been watching the reveal stream. Revenge is my new fave card, purely because of the flavor text.

"This card is better than Arcane Explosion. So I guess Warrior's are finally getting revenge for Mortal Strike being worse than Fireball."

So much troll.

15+ Year Old Account
    Fireguard Destroyer?

Oh my, I'm feeling... a little faint... this is...

Ahem.

*salivates furiously*

Shaman getting something so delicious is better than five Christmases at once
    Last edited by Nikkaszal; 2015-03-30 at 09:28 PM.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

Emperor Thaurisan is insane. It's not even a battlecry, the effect keeps going as long as it stays alive. Say hello to the new Dr. Boom. And a possible revival of Miracle Rogue.